Locking Wheel Nut Key

mikeyc77

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a 51 plate S3. Loving it so far but just noticed that it doesn't have a locking wheel nut key. I only bought the car from an independent dealer last week. My question is, should the dealer pay for a new key as they did not supply one with the car?

:icon_thumright:

Hi mate,
Get on the phone and enquire about its whereabouts, now depending on what type of a dealer they are they will either not be interested, say it was in the boot in the first place or hopefully offer to help???

At the very least they should contact the previous owner.

If they dont help I would argue it out until they agree!!!

I don’t know how easy it is to get a replacement but surely there must be a code somewhere specific to your set.

Good luck, failing all get someone in the know to forcefully get them off, it can be done!!

I will give them a call at lunch.

In order to complete a full MOT, do the wheels need to be removed? I ask because the dealer completed an MOT just before I purchased.

If its from a dealer then yes they should have given you one, so get onto them and get them to sort that out. I take it you have looked everywhere in the car for it, some people put them in some strange places.

Wheels are not removed for MOT, so they won't have needed it for that.

It wasn't an Audi dealer. Will that make a difference?

Common sense say that yes of course they should have provided a key for the locking bolts. Its like selling someone a house without the key for the garage.

I suppose it all depends on how reputable the dealer is. Only way to know for sure is to give them a call. You could be worrying over nothing and they will simply supply you with the required key

As above, double check every possible place in the car as many people don't put the key in the boot. Often find then in the door pockets or ash tray or glove box etc.

Incidentally, I noticed that if they are Audi genuine locking nuts they they only actually supply 10 different 'coded' keys for their locking wheel nuts.

Doesn't seem very good security really does it?

marms said:
Incidentally, I noticed that if they are Audi genuine locking nuts they they only actually supply 10 different 'coded' keys for their locking wheel nuts.

Doesn't seem very good security really does it?

That is shocking, I'm glad I replaced mine with Mcgards ones when I first got my car.

an audi dealer will have a key for it, to be honest, looking at the design, it looks like they are all the same. then get a set of mcgards

My mate was repairing a peugeot for a friend last week couldnt find the locking wheel nut key so just banged an old socket on the stud, came undone easy. he says hes done that many times on various brands. dont know about audi types

treblesykes said:
My mate was repairing a peugeot for a friend last week couldnt find the locking wheel nut key so just banged an old socket on the stud, came undone easy. he says hes done that many times on various brands. dont know about audi types

The factory Audi one is inverted, you need to insert the key into the bolt, as opposed to just hammering a socket onto it.

I heard of a VAG mechanic that there is 30+ keys for the locking wheel nuts not 10

Maz said:
That is shocking, I'm glad I replaced mine with Mcgards ones when I first got my car.
Yes I did that but twelve months later the nut cracked whilst trying to undo it and it seems to be a little too common a problem so I binned them rather than get a replacement off mcgard

the seller should give you one if you cannot find it