A3 Multi-function steering wheel - Hah!

I've just discovered another missing feature of the MFSW.

If you go into browse mode on an MP3 CD, I would have expected the left roller to scroll up and down the list of tracks to enable you to find the track you want (to mimic what the right rotary control on the head unit does). But it doesn't - it remains simply next track/previous track (which if you have MIX on as I normally do isn't even the next/previous track on the display). So once again you have to take your hand of the wheel to find a track.

It's looking increasingly like the MFSW was programmed purely for the RNS-E and it just happens to have some functions that work other head units. Clearly no thought or effort has been put into how it works with the Concert/Symphony II+ units.

Which was introduced first - the RNS or the MFSW, or did they arrive together? I find the MFSW the most useless I've yet encountered. The only function my right sided button seems to have is if, when using the map, a traffic announcement comes on and the map disappears. Pressing the button cancels the announcement and reinstates the map.

My lease ended on the 2006 A4, so I got myself a new 2008 model. One annoying thing that I am hoping there is a fix for is that after setting the stations on the radio (Symphony model with 6 disc changer), I went to use the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel to change the channel expecting it to work like my 2006 model and scroll through the preset stations but instead it would seek/scan to the next station. This is extremely annoying since it is not the behavior I expect or want. Same behavior as a lot of others are seeing.

I sent Audi an email with my question/comment. To my surprise they called me the next day, so regardless of what else transpired props to their customer service. The woman on the phone agreed with me saying that the manual and the info she had, my radio should scroll through the presets, not scan/seek. She recommended calling the technical support at the dealer. So I called, the guy wasn't really that helpful said he would need to take a look and asked if I could drive in. I said I didn't want to drive the 15 miles if it was something easy. So he transferred me to the sales guy where I explained it for the 3rd time. He agreed and thought it should work that way as well. He said he would go test it out on the floor models and get back to me. He called back later and said he tried two different A4s, all had the same action as mine. Said he couldn't figure out how to change it, said the radio had been changed this year and maybe Audi changed the behavior. If that is the case, even the Audi people don't know about it.

I think I and all the others who liked the old way are screwed. I talked to Audi again, and they said it is acting like it should be as opposed to the first time when they said the reverse. They read it right out the manual, I asked where since my Radio manual leads me to believe otherwise. My manual was dated 4/23/2007, they claim theirs is June 2007 and that the functionality has changed and they were extremely sorry this wasn't communicated properly. To which I responded they didn't even seem to have the correct manuals in the car. I also asked if there were other radio decks that could replace it that might do what I want, but no luck. As you can see by the attached picture, to me it looks like it should do what I expect, but Audi clearly f***ed this up and f***ed the new owners in the process. I won't even get into how they messed up the radio display for the station name versus the song name and artist display... I have had this car for almost a week and instead of enjoying it, I just want to give it back all because of some annoying radio controls (some people out there won't think this is a big deal, and they have every right to think that, but user interface is big deal to me, why should I have to take my hand off the wheel to change to one of my preset which I probably do at least 30-50 times on a short trip and never scan or seek?)

A guy on another forum said this has happened before and that Audi corrected it several months later with a flash update, we’ll see if that happens this time.

I've had an email update from Paul Adcock, who has had some response from his contact in Ingolstadt:

"He confirmed that it was very unlikely there would be any updates to existing vehicles as there would need to be large changes in Software to the steering wheel control unit, the radio software and phone ECU if fitted."

So even if they fix it, it will only be for future production by the looks of it.

Just had this email from Paul Adcock at Audi UK regarding the shortcomings of the MFSW.

The query has been raised with the technical research dept in Germany. Due to limitations with the interface between the radio and the steering wheel, the functionality cannot be changed as desired by the use of a software flash update.

Whilst the functionality is being investigated for future models,we do not expect a change within the life cycle of the current A3.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated.

I hope you continue to enjoy using your A3 Sportback and wish you the best for the Christmas and New Year holiday.

Best regards
Paul

So that is the end of it for us 2007 owners, unless some clever soul here can work out a way to intercept and modify the MFSW commands.

GeoffT said:
Just had this email from Paul Adcock at Audi UK regarding the shortcomings of the MFSW.

The query has been raised with the technical research dept in Germany. Due to limitations with the interface between the radio and the steering wheel, the functionality cannot be changed as desired by the use of a software flash update.

Whilst the functionality is being investigated for future models,we do not expect a change within the life cycle of the current A3.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated.

I hope you continue to enjoy using your A3 Sportback and wish you the best for the Christmas and New Year holiday.

Best regards
Paul

So that is the end of it for us 2007 owners, unless some clever soul here can work out a way to intercept and modify the MFSW commands.

So we have it seems wasted a lot of money ordering 2 for MArch with Phone prep too. ******:hubbahubba:

To be fair, about the only thing the MFSW works really well with, and how you would hope/expect, is the phone prep.

In fact. IIRC, I don't think you can have the phone prep without the MFSW.

Received a full refund for the MFSW from Audi UK (via the dealer I bought the car from).

Very pleased with outcome, and thanks to Audi UK for sorting out, but still a big shame about the MFSW....

Cheers,

Tim

I agree with everyone - I have RNSE System in mine with No Phone Kit as yet - about to retrofit bluetooth when the bits finally arrive - but it is a really poor show for £275 new from the manufacturer... basically its a very expensive volume control...

Think the system is designed more for RNSE than any other type of head unit - as it actually seems to scroll and work on these than others looking at the general points of view

Marcyboy said:
I agree with everyone - I have RNSE System in mine with No Phone Kit as yet - about to retrofit bluetooth when the bits finally arrive - but it is a really poor show for £275 new from the manufacturer... basically its a very expensive volume control...
Does anyone know of the price to get the MSFW retrofitted (by a dealer)? I've been quoted £320 + 1hr labour. Just wanted to check if that was in the ball-park.

Thanks
G-man

Something interesting happened on the way home tonight. Listening to a CD and wanted the next track, so moved the left thumb wheel down as normal. I didn't notice for a few seconds but the track didnt change. Checked the DIS and it's got the phone number of one of my contacts listed. Hmm.

Moved the left thumb wheel down and it went back a track. Now moving the thumb wheel UP moves it to the next track! Not sure how I got into that mode, but it's definitely changed. When I got home, I switched off the engine then back on again and it has remained. Wonder what happened there?

g-man said:
Something interesting happened on the way home tonight. Listening to a CD and wanted the next track, so moved the left thumb wheel down as normal. I didn't notice for a few seconds but the track didnt change. Checked the DIS and it's got the phone number of one of my contacts listed. Hmm.

Moved the left thumb wheel down and it went back a track. Now moving the thumb wheel UP moves it to the next track! Not sure how I got into that mode, but it's definitely changed. When I got home, I switched off the engine then back on again and it has remained. Wonder what happened there?
are you sure you hadn't pressed the mode button at some point?

g-man said:

So just to get this clear - regardless of how the telephone contact appeared (as Marc says could be accidental touch to the MODE button), before the glitch you had "down left roller" for next track and now you have "up left roller" for next track?

If so that is really wierd especially as I have had much correspondence with Audi about the "upside down" left roller operation and they claim not the be able to change it even with a flash update!!

What does the left roller do in Radio mode?

As a slight side to this, since updating my RNSe to sw650 if I use the right roller to turn down the bluetooth beep the dis changes to show my phone book. Wierd!! I'm going to take it back to sw600 to see if this fixes it.

MarcQuinlivan said:
are you sure you hadn't pressed the mode button at some point?

Yes, positive. I only moved the left thumb wheel.

GeoffT said:
So just to get this clear - regardless of how the telephone contact appeared (as Marc says could be accidental touch to the MODE button), before the glitch you had "down left roller" for next track and now you have "up left roller" for next track?

If so that is really wierd especially as I have had much correspondence with Audi about the "upside down" left roller operation and they claim not the be able to change it even with a flash update!!

What does the left roller do in Radio mode?

Down left roller was always "forward" a track on the CD. Now it is "back" a track. Damn annoying to get used to!!

Anyway, in radio mode, moving the left thumb wheel up/down moves it from "1 - 6" on the preselect stations. Pressing the wheel does a scan to the next frequency. Only tested FM.

G-man

g-man said:
Down left roller was always "forward" a track on the CD. Now it is "back" a track. Damn annoying to get used to!!

Anyway, in radio mode, moving the left thumb wheel up/down moves it from "1 - 6" on the preselect stations. Pressing the wheel does a scan to the next frequency. Only tested FM.

G-man

G-man - what head unit do you have and what year is your car?

GeoffT said:
G-man - what head unit do you have and what year is your car?

I have the Symphony II (non mp3 variety), car is a 06.

G-man

g-man said:
I have the Symphony II (non mp3 variety), car is a 06.

G-man

I was just interested because , before I fitted an RNS-E, I had the Symphony II plus (mp3 cd compatible) in an 07, and in radio mode my left roller goes into scan mode rather than through the presets. This is ridiculous and I would much rather have had it do what your does. I was wondering if you'd managed to change that as well as the up/down track, but I think that is how all of the pre 07s worked anyway.

Still very weird what has happened to yours though.