1.8T v S3

jbkudos

Reaction score
Hi

Currently got the 1.8T thinking of S3 but how much faster does it feel, NOT what the book says but the pick up? I can't see it being worth the extra cash? considering 3.0 Z4 too, opinions?

why dont you just go for a remap? you will get around 35-40 bhp extra.

I'm a bit dubious about idling problems etc, I really wanna go to a sub 6 seconds 0-60 car!!:hubbahubba:

You wont get any idling or other problems with a remap, this is quality VAG machinery you know!

You can still get approaching 6 seconds with a well practised launch and an LSD (obviously with 220/240/250ish bhp)...

3.0 Z4 over the S3 for performance every day.Not as practical though.

On paper Z4 performance looks awesome!!

Went to the Ring last weekend and one of the lads had a Z4 (M thingy), slightly less power than the M3 (due to exhaust length restrictions), sounded great, looks great, weird driving feeling though, you're almost sat over the rear wheels with an oil tanker length bonnet!

Wouldnt kick one out of my garage though ;)

I would love a Z4 M
The Z3 M was a bit of an ugly duckling but the Z4 is lovely.

I changed from a remapped 1.8T to an S3 last weekend. The A3 felt much faster as when the turbo spooled up you got a big surge of torque. The S3 feels a bit slower but should according to th book be a bit quicker. The power is far smoother on the S3 though.
The main difference is that you can use all the power in the S all of the time, coming off roundabouts and in the wet. Try and do th same in the remapped A3 and the front end would break traction.
Should be better if I get the S remapped as well though.

If it's just speed you are after, remapping the 1.8T Sport should be enough. The S3 isn't all about being quicker, it's the whole package, being top of the range, wider body with subtle spoilers, more standard equipment, more power and Quattro!