2.7T S4 Tuning

Neal_A3T

Reaction score
This may seem a little "old hat" being that the new S4 is in full flight and has many uning options available to it already, but there doesn't currently seem to be much info on here re the old 2.7T S4 and it's tuning options...

Last night, I saw this wicked black S4 absolutely blistering past me as I gazed in astonishment!! (Black S4 modded with personal plate in Essex if anyone knows who this is!!) I have just been looking at the average second hand price for a 2000 S4 and they are very cheap at around 16-17k.

Standard performance being 265bhp and it being a twin turbo, there must be huge gains with a remap and exhaust , but what gains would these bring? Do APR, AMD and the like still provide remaps for it? Some details/graphs as well as general info would be great if anyone has any.

Cheers

Neal.

i'm looking into getting an S4 biturbo. i just started researching it about a week ago, but from what i've seen so far, stage I upgrades seem to be the best value. from anywhere between $500-$1,000, various tuners' stage 1 software realize gains similar to what david mentioned above. i've seen gains of up to 80bhp and 100 ft-lbs of torque (supposedly w/ stage I software), but it seems a bit optimistic to me. a stage II upgrade typically costs 2-3 times as much, and gains are only marginal. gains continue to be marginal through stage III and sometime stage IV. but i have come across some stage IV upgrades that result in significant gains over their respective stage III upgrades. still, you'll get the best bang for your buck w/ a stage I upgrade.

i also see many people doing RS4 conversions (i.e. going from K03 to K04 turbos like the RS4, and replacing various other engine parts w/ RS4 parts). i would eventually hope to do a single turbo conversion just for the sake of doing something fun and challenging as far as tuning goes.

hoe that helps...

Thanks for the info guys...! Been a great help. 80bhp and 100 lb/ft is a huge increase just from a stage I modification. The more conservative figures still would be more than enough i'm thinking!!

I have also seen some good pictures on here (one being excursion's) with the RS4 front bumper. Very impressive! I gather this fits with no modifications? Are there any other images around with the RS4 kit?

How does the car handle? obviously its quick in a straight line, how well does it take the bends?

Having only recently got rid of my B5 chassis S4 Avant AMD chipped to 320bhp but more importantly 380ftlbs of torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for an RS4 I can still recommend everything about the S4. Just the RS4 is better. Having said that the RS4 in stock tune has only 320ftlbs but 380hp it loves to rev where the chipped S4 KKK003 turbos were out of puff at about 5500.

When the stock S4 suspension is new is pretty decent for the average punter. When mine wore out and I wasn't intending on keeping the car I swapped to RS4 shocks n springs. There were quite a few nearly new kits floating about for decent money and bolted straight on with no mods and quite importantly looked the same as the stock shocks but the car just sat that little bit lower - nice.

As for the RS4 bumper mod. I'm a fraid a bit of skilled work is required to do it right. The front wings of the RS4 are considerably wider than the S4's and present a bit of challenge. But it's been done by various in various ways. It's not cheap to convert though approx £500 for new parts never mind paint n fitting time.