BOSE Stereo Headunit

cobrascim

Reaction score
I bought a HU for my dads A4 (2000) as his disply hadn't worked since he got it. Then it just stopped working.
The new unit supplied from a 1999 A4 comes up with BOSE on the display and seems to work ok but I get nothing through the front speakers even when I use the fader. I tried it in my '98 A4 and it does the same thing. I read somewhere the BOSE is slightly different from the standard unit. Both stereo cassete headunits look identical.
Anyone help?
John.

hi mate

this might be a long shot but I recall reading something somewhere about the Bose units having pins in different locations in the connector plugs etc so therefore maybe the pins are connecting to the wrong wires and causing the fault

then again it may have absolutely nothing to do with it lol

Will check but all looked OK in comparison. Read that it may need some adjustment using the VAGCOM software-can anyone confirm? (I have the freeware version so it probably wont let me do it in there)
Or has anyone replaced the facias on these? If so I could maybe just swap them if it's an unclip/clip facility.
John.

No, the HU's are identical Bose or non Bose. The only difference is the cosmetic "Bose" on the display when you turn it on, and a VAGCOm setting to turn on/off the front amp inside the HU. As the Bose system has it's own seperate amp for all speakers, the HU needs to be told to turn on the internal amp.

Standard/Bose and other configuration modes

You can program the radio to use either the standard or the Bose equalization setting, as well as a few other basic configurations. This requires the use of a VAG-1551, VAG-1552 or equivalent scan tool (See VAG-COM or ProDiag). Knowledge of the usage of such a scan tool is assumed.

1. Connect scan tool to the car's OBD-II diagnotic port.
  2. Turn on ignition and radio, select Radio Controller in scan tool.
  3. The radio shows "DIAG" in the display.
  4. Select "Recode Module". You may enter a 5-digit code according to the table below. For example, "00007" is a standard setting while "00017" is a Bose setting, both with CD changer and secondary display.
  5. Turn off radio and ignition, disconnect scan tool.
Turn on radio to hear the effects. In Bose mode, the radio display will show "BOSE" briefly after turn-on.

Turn on radio to hear the effects. In Bose mode, the radio display will show "BOSE" briefly after turn-on.

Digit / Description

Digit 1
Country ID (0 = standard)

Digit 2
Sound Coordination (0 = standard)

Digit 3
Number of passive speakers
0 = No passive speakers (Bose)
1 = Front left (Bose with hands-free phone)
2 = Fronts passive, rears active
5 = Fronts passive, rears non-active

Digit 4
Sound System
0 = standard
1 = Bose

Digit 5
Radio Configuration
1 = No CD changer
3 = With CD changer
5 = With secondary display
7 = With CD changer and secondary display

Note: Programming the radio to run in Bose mode does not make it a Bose system if it wasn't installed at the factory as such. The Bose system also has an different external amplfier and different speakers.

Thanks guys,
A bit of good news then.
I just have to find out if my freeware version allows me this facility. Probably not.
It's a pity that you buy it from ebay thinking it is the same but then discover 2 different types. Is the other Blaupunkt?
John.

cobrascim said:
I just have to find out if my freeware version allows me this facility. Probably not.

Freeware version will do it, or should i say it did with mine.

cobrascim said:
Thanks guys,
A bit of good news then.
It's a pity that you buy it from ebay thinking it is the same but then discover 2 different types. Is the other Blaupunkt?
John.

As said - the HU's are identical (made by Matsushita), just programmed differently. Blaupunkt used to make them up to about 1999, but there was still only one version.
The Bose EQ is not set by VAGCOM, it is controlled by the Bose/Gamma pin on the wiring harness. If it's grounded then that flattens the EQ for that hideous Bose sound - "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose".
All VAGCOM does is put the Bose welcome on the screen.

Well I will try the VAGCOM as you have both said the HU needs to be told to turn on the internal amp for the front speaklers as that is my problem.
Andy which pin is the bose/gamma pin then and can it be connected or disconnected to make it work or sound better? Or Am I better just leaving it once the speakers are activated. As I said it is on my fathers car anyway and it's mostly country CDs etc he listens to.
John.

The Bose/Gamma pin is irrelevant as the wiring harness dictates whether the HU is in Bose or non-Bose mode. So fitting it to a non-Bose harness automatically switches it to non-Bose EQ. Why they didn't also enable or disable the internal amp using the same logic god only knows.

Thought I would follow up on this.
Did the recode this morning with my freeware VAGCOM version. Using instructions as supplied by replies with no problems. Selected scan tool / radio and the code that came up was 00117.(Stereo unit had DIAG) Changed this to 00017 but it was just the same. When I entered it to 00007 the front speakers came on after a few seconds.
So just to clarify I have the Bose unit working with all speakers using the 00007 setting.
Thanks for all the help on this. I thought I was going to have to send it back to the fellow on ebay and then if he tested again and it worked he would be thinking I was up to something. I have informed him of the difference so that he knows about it in future sales. All happy.
Thanks again.:thumbsup:
John.