Locking Wheel Nut Lost

Pat

Reaction score
I wanted to pop a wheel off last night on my s3 (2001) but discovered i have lost the locking nut key.. Its a standard audi one which looks like a massive torqs bit.. Any ideas on getting the little buggers off???

DPM said:
The dealership can get you a new one if you take your car in.

Yea I got a replacement last week. Costs about £12.

It is somewhat worrying what Audi describe as a locking wheelnut - given all S3's and A3's share the same key!

jcs356 said:
It is somewhat worrying what Audi describe as a locking wheelnut - given all S3's and A3's share the same key!

surely not, thats crazy if it is

So are we saying that all locking wheel nuts are the same and have same key??? I must admit it doesn`t look like anything special.. As I said looks like a massive torqs bit

Yep, they ALL share the same key.

VW ones are similar but thinner splines, but again, the same key.

I wouldnt worry, if I wanted your wheels, it would take me less than ten seconds longer per wheel to get them off if they had a locking wheel nut.

lol I dont think we've all got the same locking nut!

When I went to audi to get a replacement they said there are 12 different types and thats why you have to take your car to them so they can see which one of the 12 it is.

But yea you've got a good chance of finding an audi with the same locking wheel nut!

The thin splined one fits on almost every other key, let me tell you that.

My impact socket fits on them all.

Well i have just checked a VW one.. They have more splines well 12 where mine has 10

Dave_Bayern said:
The thin splined one fits on almost every other key, let me tell you that.

My impact socket fits on them all.

lol daym. why did Audi even bother making these locking wheel nuts then!? what a waste!

Time to go and get a set of McGards!

McGuards are rubbish too. Do a google for it and see how many end up damaged.

The best thing is to not bother at all, if someone wants your wheels they will get them, it is SO easy.

Dave_Bayern said:
McGuards are rubbish too. Do a google for it and see how many end up damaged.

The best thing is to not bother at all, if someone wants your wheels they will get them, it is SO easy.

I had these on my old car and the key broke in one turn. and they wouldnt send me a new key asap, it would take 2 weeks. in the end i called someone up and he showed me how alloy keys dont do anything.

All he used was a sledge hammer and nut openers and hammerd it in till there was some grip. it worked i couldnt believe it.

McGuards are as good as the person using them. if your slightly off square or don`t have pressure on the socket then they damage v easy.

but as said locking nuts only stop kids tbh.

I have to admit I put a set of McGuards on mine, and then hamfistedly bend the key when I was fitting my rear mudflaps. So I had to drive round with one mudflap on the back for 2 weeks whilst a new key came from Germany. I'm now an awful lot more careful when using the key. I also know that I've been guilty of over-torqueing wheelnuts. So bought a Torque Wrench from Argos- only £15 from memory - and can now do them up properly.