1.8T, 2.4 or 3.0???

Trigger

Reaction score
Currently considering purchasing an A4 convertible, could anyone please provide the current pro's and cons of the 1.8T, 2.4 and 3.0 models. I will be purchasing the manual models, probly in the Sport model. Need to know runnings costs, real world MPG etc.

I currently drive a 2.5l BMW 3-series saloon, and i'm also considering the 325 and 330 M Sport convertible models.

I see the A4 as the better looking car, but they don't match the performance of the BMW's, not that I'm going to be tear arsing the new car around, but i like to have that little bit of power to get you out of tight spots.

I'll be looking to spend between £12k and £14, so both the Audi and BMW will be around the 01-03 plates.

Thanks in advance.

Earliest A4 CAbs will be 02 reg, introduced in UK in June 02 I think. I ran a 52 Reg 3.0 Sport Moro Blue, Black Nappa + a few bits for 3 years. Absolutely fantastic car. Economical 30ish, and the sound of a V6 is great, forget 2.4 less power litlle if any other savings. 1.8T is cracking motor but my money is on a v6 3.0 !!!

Cheers

Rick:hi:

Yeah, the 01 plates cars was refering to the BMW's.

Plenty of cheapish 1.8T's and 2.4's about, and the odd 3.0 just creaping into that price range, so a little wary of if something is dodgy about them?

Any extras that are worth looking out for, sound systems, heated seats etc etc?

The 3.0 is the best by far But Your budget will only buy the big mileage examples ! Raise the bar a little ???

I have just sold a 330 ci,i had an A4 tdi before that and still have a golf gti turbo and the 330 is miles better as a driver imo.
I would take a test drive in a 1.8t and 3.0 A4 and a 330 sport to see which you like the best.
There is a big difference in performance between a 325 and a 330.

Avoid the 2.4 - pointless engine. Less powerful and torquey than the 1.8T, heavier, noisier, worse fuel consumption, and nothing like as gutsy as the 3.0.

I drive the 3.0 and it's a lovely car, quick, smooth, great V6 noise (which you'd hear even better with the roof down!). The 1.8T will be (slightly) cheaper to run than the V6, plus there will probably be more of them about too to choose from. The 1.8T is easy to chip to get a reasonable performance gain.

When I bought my A4 I test drove 3 1.8Ts, but then I took the 3.0 out for a drive and I was completely sold within seconds...

You take your pick and make your choice! Either way, they're lovely cars.

I totally agree about what people have said about the 2.4. (Check out the performance spec on Parkers.co.uk)

I've just purchased one about 3 weeks ago after looking for the right one for me for over 5 months! I was after either the 1.8 or the 3.0. I drove both and would have to say that they are both quite punchy but obviously the 3.0 is much smoother and excelerates faster in lower revs. I personally would stear clear of the multitronic gearbox due to the many problems reported on these forums. Also a Sport is a must at least! The Sport has better suspension and the 17" 5 star alloys.

I went for the 1.8 in the end but must say that if the 3.0 came up at the right price and with my requirements then I would rather of had that! But i'm more than happy with the 1.8.

The 1.8 is a lighter engine and so - have been told - doesn't over steer as much. But you have to race the engine revs to get the full performance out of the engine. 1.8 + inurance group 15, 3.0 group 18.

Mine is an 04 with blue/blue roof, Grey Leather, Heated seats, Symphony stereo, Cruise Control, Fridge Glovebox, 18"alloys. Payed £12500, but with 80K with religiously Audi Serviced. And it still looks as new inside and out.

For me the Stereo was inportant, Symphony is better than the Concert as it has 6 CD changer (and tape!) But get Bose if you can - it was a cheap upgrade when purchased, but some people were foolish to not choose it! Mine didn't have it and I do feel that if I had it would be a bit bassier.

I personally was looking for a lighter Leather interior but black is most popular, but would have to say - for me - the blue leather interior is a big no no... sorry if I upset some people, but its just my opinion!

My 1.8 does 33.9mpg average over about a year or so according to trip.

I've been told that the 1.8 can be re-mapped to about 225bhp (correct me if I'm wrong) but I've been told the V6 can't be played with at all.

Check in the boot the retracting boot space leaver that give you more space when the roof isn't down... all the ones I looked at didn't retract properly - it should move completly up flat to get the extra space in the boot.

When you do get one - clean and protect the roof with Renovo product as the protection would have worn off by now and water will just soak in rather than bead off.

zeratul said:
Mine is an 04 with blue/blue roof, Grey Leather, Heated seats, Symphony stereo, Cruise Control, Fridge Glovebox, 18"alloys. Payed £12500, but with 80K with religiously Audi Serviced. And it still looks as new inside and out.

Thanks very much for that advice, I've sort of made my mind up about the 1.8T engine, without actually driving any. Probabaly end up missing some of the smoothness, with me driving a 6-cyclinder BMW engine at the moment. My reasons I guess are down to running costs, mainly insurance, I'm pretty sure i've just picked up another 3 points, so awaiting the letter through the door, taking me to 9, so the lower the insurance the better. Plus there seems to be a lot more 1.8T's available.

So what is the general feeling about higher milers, i'm planning on keeping this car for at least the next three or four years, and I do around 10k a year, plenty around with around the 80k mark on them, obvoiulsy not a problem for yourself zeratul, but what do others think. Audi Service history a must I guess?

Think you will regret not going for the V6 3.0 4 cylinders don't sound so good or perform so well.

TT
R:hi:

mine,s got 91k on trig its a 1.8t 190 avant model, full audi history though. tbh it looks more like 31k rather than 91 i was lookin for a 3.0 but ended up with the 1.8t as it has 190bhp standard but after a star remap and milltek i will hopefully be pushin out 240bhp ish the same as bubster which is 20bhp more than the 3.0

What do your Insurance Company make of all the mods. IMHO standard 3.0V6 sounds good performs well, is smooth and not bad to insure.

TT
R:ermm:

jase0851 said:
mine,s got 91k on trig its a 1.8t 190 avant model, full audi history though. tbh it looks more like 31k rather than 91 i was lookin for a 3.0 but ended up with the 1.8t as it has 190bhp standard but after a star remap and milltek i will hopefully be pushin out 240bhp ish the same as bubster which is 20bhp more than the 3.0
20bhp more than the standard Audi 3.0,what power would it be after a Milltek and a remap?
The sound of a 6 pot and a nice exhaust is sooo nice,much nicer that a 4 pot turbo imo.

A decent exhaust and a decent re-map on the 3.0 V6 will gain you another 15-20bhp as well, it can be done.

I'm paying less than £400 fully comp on my v6, which is pretty decent I think. With my previous car (Audi S2) I declared all the mods (a lot) and it didn't make any difference to the premium, it just depends on who your insurance is with. Always stick a female relative on as a named driver on your policy by the way, that makes a big difference.

Rick Glover said:
What do your Insurance Company make of all the mods. IMHO standard 3.0V6 sounds good performs well, is smooth and not bad to insure.

TT
R:ermm:

100 quid for the insurance . yeah the 3.0 might be a good motor but which is easier to get more powew out of 1.8t or 3.0.

jase0851 said:
100 quid for the insurance . yeah the 3.0 might be a good motor but which is easier to get more powew out of 1.8t or 3.0.

Not everyone is pre-occupied with how tunable an engine is. If I could, I'd rather have a standard v6 instead of a tuned 4 up front.

jase0851 said:
Easy,a remap and 240bhp out of a V6 is very easy,you wont get that with just a remap on a 1.8t.Its not just getting good power,the way the 3.0 delivers its power is so much better than a 1.8t and it will never sound as nice as the 6 pot.

have you owned a car with 1.8t and 3.0 engines james ? trigger was askin peoples opinions so i have given mine

Yup , have had 3 x 1.8T motors, 2 x 2.0 FSI (oneT) and a 3.0 V6. The 3.0 in the cab is superb and knocks spots and stripes of 4 cylinder motors!!

R - the voice of experience??? or SOG:laugh:

Agree TOTALY The 3.0 is the daddy No contest !!! Now the S4 ?? Well thats My next car for deff !!!

i agree TOTALLY with me which is the only opinion i give a **** about END OF

jase0851 said:
have you owned a car with 1.8t and 3.0 engines james ? trigger was askin peoples opinions so i have given mine
Ive got a golf gti-t and sold my bmw 330 ci two weeks ago.
The golf is remapped on a K03s,fmic,cai,full milltek including the cat and the 330 ****** all over it with just a cai and exhaust.