1.8T mileage?

jmc

Reaction score
Hi all.

New to this forum, but have had a good look round this morning.

This might be a bit cheeky for a first post, but Im going to look at a 1.8T A3 (my first Audi) this weekend and Im after some quick advice. The car is an S plate (98/99) 3dr in Gold (looks like Mustard to me :confused: ). Its probably got a few miles on it and Im guessing the colour isnt the best, so Im not sure if its worth the £2600 being asked - it is from a trader.

The main thing Im worried about is the mileage. Are there any mileage related problems I should look out for or be wary of, like the turbo or head gasket problems??? Im normally found in older BMWs so Im used to head problems :)
I reckon the mileage is around the 150k mark as a rough idea.

I will be looking for a history of belt changes and I guess regular oil changes are needed because of the turbo, but is there any thing else that should have been done?

Any help will be very appreciated :icon_thumright:

Cheers

Jay

Personally, if the mileage is 150K, I'd stay away, unless it has all (and I mean all) paperwork/history. It's beyond average miles (I always thought 10-12k a year was average)...at 150k, you're looking 16.5k a year, obviously, depends on owners, but still, I'd be put off, you can get same age with lower miles, just need to look all over the place...

P.

I dont really agree with the above, if its in tip top condition at 150k i wouldn't be too bothered, assuming you wont put too many on yourself.

His price is too high tho, i'd be looking to pick that up for £2100, and thats assuming it's mint

If you do a search somebody wrote a 1.8t buying guide not so long ago, had a wad of info.

Thanks guys:icon_thumright:

The mileage dosent really bother me, unless there are serious problems that can occur with higher miles. That may have something to do with my last few BMs though - 2 of which went well over 200k without engine problems, one only died due to rust and the other cause of a Transit shaped dent in the back :mad:

The prices seem to be all over the shop. They seem to range from £2.5k to atleast £3.5k with mileages between 100k to 140k - Im looking at 2 '99 1.8Ts both for £3k, one with 130k and one 145k :confused:

Im glad I joined this forum and asked, but Im well confused about what to do now :)

hhmm my car has 142k miles on.. and have had no real problems with it and still as spritely as ever.

nice to know mine can go for 3k :)

For a '99 car if you could get it for 2.5k id say you're doing well, but i would pay about 3 for it assuming its in good condition, which it should be the engines take the miles well, suspension not so good but im assuming you're used to that with higher mileage beemers

rodenal said:
the engines take the miles well, suspension not so good but im assuming you're used to that with higher mileage beemers
Most definitely used to knackered suspension :ohmy: its one of the first things I change on a BM Im going to keep.

Thanks for the advice guys, although I may be swayed by TDi instead now :unsure:
I drove a 1.8T today which I liked a lot, but I also had a drive of a 130bhp TDi which might of been a mistake. Never really considered a diesel before, but its got me thinking. It was a fair bit newer than I was originally looking for, but I might have to convince the wife that we need to spend more money. Not sure how that conversation will go........ :slap: :)

Cheers