Audi 2.6 Cabriolet very high revs ??

Egger

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone could give me a pointer for this problem...

I jump started my 1996 2.6 Audi and it has been completely messed up since , it idles at around 1500 revs sometimes 2000 and above, it also revs up and down on its own within that rev range. The throttle is in the shut position so its not that jammed open. I think I may have shorted the Ecu ? Also does anyone know where the Ecu is located on that model ? I am at a loss and as its Christmas everyone is off on holiday. The engine code is the ABC varient if that helps.

All input gladly received.

I did post this in the Tech section but thought it might do better here.

get vag.com on it and see what codes its pops out...The ecu is located at the back of the glovebox(need to take out glovebox).Did you short the battery when jumping starting as in putting on the wrong terminal?.......I would disconnect the battery for 5 minutes so to reset the ecu and clear the codes and see if that helps?

Would check all the vacuum pipes as this can cause irratic idle if they have come loose

The coils are prone for displacing maybe you shorting the motor you have damaged them

VAG.com will give you a better idea before you start throwing money at it

Would post on the general section and see if anybody near you has vag.com and could read your codes if you are struggling for this .......go to www.s2forum.com and reg ..a few guys there own the same motor as yourself and very good community for helping each other

Cheers

Hi Rev-head,

Thanks for the info and I will act on it a.s.a.p.

Cheers

Disconnect battery for about 20 minutes then reconnect. Turn ignition on but do not start the car for 30 seconds. This will teach the ecu where zero is on the throttle body....Worked for me anyways :icon_thumright:
Si.

Hi NineNails,

I am off to try it now... I will post on here later the results,

Cheers

Right Guys,

I tried the above advice from Ninenails and first impressions were that it had worked but when driving it the problem of the irratic idle returned also a 2 to 3 second delay from removing my foot from the accelerator to it dropping down in revs causing it to jolt the car. The revs at best still stay at 1100 (sometimes higher) when idleing and also when using the throttle to accelerate through the gears when you dip the clutch the revs still rose up about another 500 rpm before dropping. Is there a valve to control revs or vac pipes ? I have no idea where they would be located either...?

Sounds like a problem with your Idle stableization Valve. Doing what ninenails suggested only works for fly by wire cars(which the 2.6 isn't). What you need to do (as I had the same problem) is either clean the ISV or use vagcom to cycle the ISV through all it's settings.

Hi again,
Further update ....
I got into the car today and everything was back to normal ??
I have used it twice since this morning and its still ok, so I am guessing the valve must have re seated itself ?
I will take the advice and clean the isv and maf just to prevent a further occurence.
Thanks again and have a great Christmas/new year,
Cheers

Did you get this properly sorted? Mine has been doing this on & off and we have not properly got to the bottom of it although seems ok for now. Often an air leak somewhere causes it, which would explain why mine was happening randomly, as stuff gets hotter, expands etc stops leak for a bit - not that. Narrowed down to throttle body, plugged in the computer reader thing, no faults but while he had it plugged in he told the ecu to reset the throttle settings and all has been cool since, revs a tiny bit high when you first switch on but settles to about 850-900 once warm. Something to do with the anti stall settings

Be interested to know how you got on!