Dilemma - TTS or Cayman S

Well if anyone wants my ten cents worth.... The Porsche is the better car in pretty much every respect, and this is reflected in the price. However it is a well known fact that Porsche purposely held back with the design and performance of the Cayman so to not encroach on the carrera market. For this reason i can't help but think you're buying a car that isn't as good as it should be and lets be honest, will always be seen as 'couldn't quite afford a carrera'. Still a beautiful car though, just not where i'd put my money. Also, maybe a superficial point but i just don't see porsches as 'cool' cars anymore. My uncle has an £80K Carrera 4S with all the bells and whistles and it just leaves me a bit unimpressed for the money to be honest.
The TT has never really done anything for me, not sure why, maybe just a bit feminine? Matter of opinion obviously!

Anyway for the same money you're throwing at a well spec'd Cayman i'd go for a used RS4 cabriolet, which in my opinion destroys them both in every respect. 'Coolest' car on the planet. Effortless.

BORED.....

BORED......

BORED.......

Only posting opionions of having driven them both and everyday experiences of driving.

I have a Caterham CSR in the garage as a "play car" so do know a thing or too about driving front engine, rear wheel drive espcially on the track.

As for its quicker than the M3. M5 etc etc read between the lines! At the right time in the right place all these cars are quicker than an S3. However driven incoreclty or not reading the road can cost you dearly. Thus taking advantage in the S3 and gaining passing etc.

The thing with these forums they are all the same, you all think you have the better car syndrome, mine is better than yours, faster than yours BLAH BLAH BLAH.

However when someone post real life stories you shoot them down as ******'s

Each to their own and whatever rocks you boat and all that.!

I wont loose any sleep............

I'm shagging keira knightley later !!

betcha don't have a porsche, When Kiera and I went out, she thought porsche owners had small

parts :)

Can't believe what I read sometimes... really had to read twice some comments...

S3 vs Porsche CS

Is there anything to compare? I mean, they are two completely different products!! One is a normal hatchback, hotted up a little bit but still the basis is an A3/Golf, engineered with diferent perspectives/uses than a Cayman. I own an S3 and it is a car I enjoy but I know exactly its limitations. It is a nice all round fast car, not particularly envolving or enthusiasticly exciting. Takes me safely A-B be it motorway, B-road without getting 5 star marks anywhere...
It is not to be compared with any Porsche, an M3 or M5 or others. S3 is a fast hothatch that is it!!! It is not even a proper trackday machine!

Porsche, any of them, even though targetting different market niches are all engineered to give the most driver envolvment possible and chassiswise... no A3 is a match for those!! Some Porsches might be more enjoyable than others but comparing the purpose of Porsche engineering with VAG engineering seems to be a bit optimistic... Different companies different philosofies...

I am not slagging the S3 afterall I have one and like it a lot!! But I would be very surprised if the TTS can give the same driving quality than a Porsche.

I like Porsches, especially the Boxster or the Cayman, I think they are great and do not seem them as "couldn't afford a 911 cars" they are different niche cars. I wouldn't go for a 911 as I prefer a Ferrari or Lambo in that segment but I would sure consider a Boxster or a Cayman if I wanted a car with that spec...

Mate, in my humble opinion... there isn't a dilemma here... go Porsche, can't go wrong.

Pedro

For the money we're talking about I'd go for a 2nd hand RS4, I dont like the TiTies image, and if you want more of a focused car like the cayman, there are other cars that offer much more for less.

just my 2p.

thebears said:
As for its quicker than the M3. M5 etc etc read between the lines! At the right time in the right place all these cars are quicker than an S3. However driven incoreclty or not reading the road can cost you dearly. Thus taking advantage in the S3 and gaining passing etc.

The thing with these forums they are all the same, you all think you have the better car syndrome, mine is better than yours, faster than yours BLAH BLAH BLAH.

However when someone post real life stories you shoot them down as ******'s

Each to their own and whatever rocks you boat and all that.!

I wont loose any sleep............

I'm shagging keira knightley later !!

in other words it more to do with the drivers than the cars?

:lmfao:

you change your argument more than my mrs!!

WRT having the better car - unlikely, my daily driver is a 140bhp diesel, I'm hardly going to say it's the fastest thing on 4 wheels

it's more down to the fact most of us can see sense whilst others just blindly post their opinions

ps - Keira's OK if you like the skanky heroin chic look ;)

cayman on 5th gear tonight

Tiff Needel likes it

Nuff said - should be the kiss of death for anycar

bacardi said:
cayman on 5th gear tonight

Tiff Needel likes it

Nuff said - should be the kiss of death for anycar

Saw that too, he didn't seem over the moon about it, said it was twitchy (not enough weight over the front axel) and was complaining about the lack of LSD. Out of the two cars I'd go for the 135, and thats saying something because in general I'm a bit of a BMW hater!

N8KOW said:
I'd rather have a TT-S. Remap and you'll have 320bhp **** all over the cayman

an extra 25 bhp ain't gonna **** on a cayman mate! Cayman will kick its *** in quailty of drive/feedback.

Cooky

john_cook said:
an extra 25 bhp ain't gonna **** on a cayman mate! Cayman will kick its *** in quailty of drive/feedback.

Cooky

To be fair, I should imagine in a straight line a chipped TT-S would easily out pace a cayman, but as you say, around the twisty stuff it would be a different matter all together.

thebears said:

Brilliant :)

Ring Ring, Ring Ring! Hello kettle, pot here, your black...

LOL did you not post that your car is faster than m3's, m5's, 911's...

siu00adg said:
To be fair, I should imagine in a straight line a chipped TT-S would easily out pace a cayman, but as you say, around the twisty stuff it would be a different matter all together.

Well, since there aren't any corners in the UK, it'll have to be the TTS then. :p In fact, why don't we all get dragsters...brilliant in a straight line.

I very much doubt the claim about straight line speed as well. I've got more than just a remap on my S3 and it's only tenths of a second quicker to 100 mph than the CS.

MY S3 0-100mph 11.5s (and thats with 330bhp)
S3 0-100mph 13.6s
CS 0-100mph 11.7s
TTS 0-100mph 13.0s (guess) Maybe a second off for the remap.

siu00adg said:
Out of the two cars I'd go for the 135, and thats saying something because in general I'm a bit of a BMW hater!

I'm amazed by that.
I watched it last night and simply couldn't fathom why anyone would even consider a 1 series coupe over the Cayman.
Well, well, I guess I found one!:sadlike:
I've seen a 1 series in the flesh, they're awful.
Tiny cars, like they've been designed by japanese, for japanese.
My colleague, all 6'4" of him, has ordered a 123D.
He's going to look utterly ridiculous in one.:tocktock:

mate my dad had a caymen for a few weeks as a coutesy car as he works for porsche and i think they are superb i would choose one over any tt,IMO you have the speed the exterior looks and handling.The interior isnt great but neither is the tt.If i had the money to choose it would be the caymen s.
Or as said before the rs4.

bowfer said:
I'm amazed by that.
I watched it last night and simply couldn't fathom why anyone would even consider a 1 series coupe over the Cayman.

OMG! For that kind of money I'd rather have a 320d! What a nutter!

I'm sure the engine will be good, but evrytime he sees a three series he'll realise the error of his ways. I took a 335D out for a test drive a few weeks back. Fantastic car to drive. The 1 series on the other hand is a bit sh*t!

CJP80 said:
OMG! For that kind of money I'd rather have a 320d! What a nutter!

I'm sure the engine will be good, but evrytime he sees a three series he'll realise the error of his ways. I took a 335D out for a test drive a few weeks back. Fantastic car to drive. The 1 series on the other hand is a bit sh*t!

I can't wait to see my D3 next to his micro-car in the car park.
As you say, I'm pretty sure I already know which one will get the most admiring glances.
Honestly, the 1 series coupe is one ugly mo-fo....:puke2:

bowfer said:
I'm amazed by that.

I wouldnt get either, I'm just saying the 135 looks like it would be quite good fun.

CJP80 said:
Well, since there aren't any corners in the UK, it'll have to be the TTS then. :p In fact, why don't we all get dragsters...brilliant in a straight line.

I very much doubt the claim about straight line speed as well. I've got more than just a remap on my S3 and it's only tenths of a second quicker to 100 mph than the CS.

MY S3 0-100mph 11.5s (and thats with 330bhp)
S3 0-100mph 13.6s
CS 0-100mph 11.7s
TTS 0-100mph 13.0s (guess) Maybe a second off for the remap.

I'm not suggesting the TT is a better choice because its a couple of tenths quicker to 100, I really don't like TT's, I don't see the point, and I dislike the hairdresser image. Out of the two I'd have the cayman, but as I said before I recon a 2nd hand RS4 would be the best bet, or a Noble M12 if you don't mind no back seats and no luggage space.

A series 1 cabrio/coupé or an A3 cabrio/coupé for me is pushing the marketing to its limits!!!! I won't fall for those... they are ridiculous...

If the cabrio can somehow have an explanation I cannot see the explanation of a Series 1 coupe.... some people fall for it...

About hairdressers cars.... that is another ridiculous thing... When I buy a car is because I like it not because what others might think of me if I drive one.... And certainly I wouldn't stop buying the car I like just because Puff Daddy or God knows who has one.... The same applies to "poor man Porsches..."

If people are humble and normal those considerations should't really matter when buying a car... By the other hand if you are buying a car having its depreciation in account so you won't loose lots of money when selling it (although you always will... worst investment ever)... just go to Which Car? and let them choose for you....

Get the car you like the most... you are going to live with it everyday... For me I would get the Cayman, but both of them will be fine, pick the one you like the most.

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
When I buy a car is because I like it not because what others might think of me if I drive one

I know what you're trying to say, but image does have a lot to do with your car choice, I guarantee it.
For example, take my mother's Micra.
It's great fun to drive, it really is.
I thrashed it senseless over the cairn o' mount road near here a few weeks back (very mountainous road) , and I had a grin on my face that would be hard to match in many a more expensive car.
However, no amount of fun can make up for the fact that you are a grown man in a Micra, so you look a plum.

bowfer said:
I'm amazed by that.

Bowfer was that the 135i you saw? I haven't seen one the flesh but been looking at loads of pictures and reading all the reviews and I'm really starting to like this car. I think it's a bit different and has character.. Must be great to drive also seriously quick. It's also the in the same Co2 tax bracket as the S3. Pretty impressive for a 6 cylinder 300hp engine..

http://www.edbmw.com/blog/2008/02/18/bmw-1-series-ultimate-photo-gallery

marriedblonde said:
Brilliant :)

Ring Ring, Ring Ring! Hello kettle, pot here, your black...

LOL did you not post that your car is faster than m3's, m5's, 911's...

NO :no:

I posted

i suspect it will show a cayman a good run for its money. I certainly can in the S3 even against M5's M3's 911's espcically on a fine damp morning.

Syaing that the S3 will show the likes of the M5's etc a good show, not its quicker, better, faster just that in the right conditions with the right driver and roads you can show up some more faster, powerful cars.

So no i did not post my car is faster, read the post :blahblah1:

bowfer said:
However, no amount of fun can make up for the fact that you are a grown man in a Micra, so you look a plum.

I have to agree bowfer... that was a good example but I was talking about the "hairdressers code" and the "poor man Porsche"...

In this case not buying a TT because you don't like it, it's fine, but not buying a TT because "hairdressers have them" seems utterly ridiculous!!!! The same applies to the Cayman... not buying because people might think you could not afford a 911....silly if you ask me!

If I was looking for a mid engine sports cars, loaded or not, the Cayman would make perfect sense, for me that is.... But if I wanted a 911 and bought a Cayman because could not afford a 911 I would simply buy something else that I liked and could afford instead of getting "second choice"

In the end I believe it is human nature.... not being happy with what you have! I am no different but I try to be happy with my choices....

Pedro

thebears said:
Syaing that the S3 will show the likes of the M5's etc a good show, not its quicker, better, faster just that in the right conditions with the right driver and roads you can show up some more faster, powerful cars.

That's is all fine.... what if the other cars have the right driver as well? Country road or not... a M3 or M5 will smoke our S3 anytime mate... get real...

Pedro

Nutkins said:
Bowfer was that the 135i you saw?

No idea, it was just sitting there in the BMW showroom, looking like a pedal car.

1series.jpg

MICRO.jpg

siu00adg said:
Saw that too, he didn't seem over the moon about it, said it was twitchy (not enough weight over the front axel) and was complaining about the lack of LSD. Out of the two cars I'd go for the 135, and thats saying something because in general I'm a bit of a BMW hater!

he wasn't testing a CS IIRC

different set ups between C and CS

thebears said:
NO :no:

I posted

i suspect it will show a cayman a good run for its money. I certainly can in the S3 even against M5's M3's 911's espcically on a fine damp morning.

So no i did not post my car is faster, read the post :blahblah1:

Semantics

siu00adg said:
For the money we're talking about I'd go for a 2nd hand RS4, I dont like the TiTies image, and if you want more of a focused car like the cayman, there are other cars that offer much more for less.

just my 2p.

I did, and have no regrets what so ever!

:laugh:

a lot of people being a bit harsh in this thread... when i had my remapped S3, if u caught it just right it was ****** quick (in s straight line) cornering was poor to be honest, my old Mkiv R32 was far superior for cornering...

I dont think ive read anything in this thread which I actually disagree with, its all just different peoples perspectives, and have found myself nodding to many of the comments.

Still... I wouldnt buy either :)

klauster said:
a lot of people being a bit harsh in this thread... when i had my remapped S3, if u caught it just right it was ****** quick (in s straight line) cornering was poor to be honest, my old Mkiv R32 was far superior for cornering...

I've never said the S3 isn't a quick car in standard or remapped form. I'm just laughing at people who think it is the fastest car on road.

Question for the mods :-

Is there a good reason why a thread discussing the relative merits of the tiTTy and a porka is not moved to the 'Other makes' forum ?

This is an A3 forum after all, or am I missing something ?

mfspen said:
This is an A3 forum after all, or am I missing something ?

You're missing the fact the other forums often have tumbleweed blowing across them.:tumble:
I tend to ask non-A3 related things here, because I'm unlikely to get an answer/discussion anywhere else.
They're all driving related.
If you think of the internet as a virtual pub, then conversations will wander.:icon_thumright:

bowfer said:
You're missing the fact the other forums often have tumbleweed blowing across them.:tumble:
I tend to ask non-A3 related things here, because I'm unlikely to get an answer/discussion anywhere else.
They're all driving related.
If you think of the internet as a virtual pub, then conversations will wander.:icon_thumright:
A bit of wandering is OK, but I think this thread started off in the wrong pub !

mfspen said:
A bit of wandering is OK, but I think this thread started off in the wrong pub !

I think TT owners prefer 'wrong pubs'....if you get my drift...:salute: