front speaker depth ???

M22_PRE

A4 autovogue style
Reaction score
im looking to replacce the front two speakers with components, was wondering how much room i have to play with regading the depth of the mids?? fancy a set of diamond m6's

Depth isn't an issue as they bolt to the door, not the door card. You need to make MDF spacer rings, big ones as the speaker sits 40mm off the door liner.
If you have the Bose system the speakers can be removed from the stock spacers as shown below:
B6BoseDoorspeaker.jpg

Non Bose, you need to make 2 x 18mm MDF spacer rings, glue/screw them together to make a 36mm ring, then use 6mm MDF to make the fitting ring (use the stock unit as a template), this then glues/screws to the 36mm ring and allows you to screw the whole thing to the door using the stock screws/location. You need a gasket between the fitting ring and the door liner, as it's not totally flat. I just used some Dynamat.
Avantfrontwoofer.jpg

Autoleads also make speaker rings for this use if you don't fancy getting the jigsaw out .

Regards,

Andy

Dont buy Autoleads kit. Andymac will back me up on this....They're ****, I bought a set and my speakers wouldnt even fit in them! They're badly made and you're better off building your own.

What he said! I've yet to find an Autoleads product that actually fits anything properly.
At best their only useful as a template to make ones that actually fit. Also MDF rings will provide a more solid base to mount your new components.

cheers for the help, getting them installed at car audio centre.co.uk in manchester wher i get all my ice from. Just not bought the components yet as were not sure wat will provide the best fit. getting it all sound proofed and ignition feed wiring in for the head unit. still fancy some diamonds after hearing my m8s but mite get sum inphase ones as they are highly recomended for the money!!!!

I used to have a full in-phase system, they sound really good for the price and you can drive them hard, they're subs arent as strong, but have a good kick. I've just started my new install which I bought from caraudiocentre, its a full alpine speaker system with in-phase amps so I'm waiting to see how it sounds. Just dont buy autoleads stuff, I fitted my head unit tonight with autoleads spacers and they didnt even fit in the gaps! Do they just not test their products or what? It's ridiculous!