EBAY ALU MIRRORS- Ripped off???

Andy D

Reaction score
I bought a set of apparently Aluminium rs4 mirrors from ebay 105 inc p&p.

On their arrival today they are plastic mirrors with a matt silver finish.:scared2:

The seller stated they are original rs4 mirrors from a 2005 model and TBH the look as if they fit, they have the audi emblem stamped inside with part numbers.

here's his dexcription
Used but extremely good condition, Audi Aluminium Matt mirror covers, completely intact, originally from a '06 plate RS4 cabriolet, but will fit most late model A4's
Genuine part number-8E0 857 508 B

As you can see it looks like they should be the genuine article!

Can anyone tell me if they are supposed to be plastic as I was under the impression they would be solid aluminium
Feeling a bit ripped off and in two minds whether they will look good on my car.:sadlike:

The alluminium ones are Solid but the RS4 are plastic painted matt silver so Id say you got the right ones.

Double check with your dealer with the part number tomorrow!!

The RS4 mirrors are a different shape to B6/7 mirrors, so how can they fit?

Chaz

They look the same Chaz, I'll try and fit them tomorrow and all will be clarified.

If successful I'll post a piccy.

If they look the same, they are nothing to with a B7 RS4. The B7 RS4 mirrors are more oval the B6 & 7, and are mounted to the door with 2 arms, not one.

The B5 RS4 mirrors are more rounded than the B6 & 7 so they wpouldn't fit either...

Chaz

are you sure chaz??

RS4.jpg

D'oh. Forgot about the option for foldable ones on the Cabs.

Normal RS4 ones are these:

audi-rs4-1b.jpg

Easily Done, Good old cabs with their folding mirrors!!

Surely on the RS4's though they were metal, not coated plastic?

these are the foldable ones and TBH look like the genuine article as they are stamped with part numbers, Audi rings and also have the year and month of manufacture chart and poitners embossed on them.

Theya are from an A4 rs4 Cab as above so I think I'm a happy man again...lol

£105 for some matt silver spraypaint, not sure Id be happy :(

I went ahead and fitted them, perfect fit, Look a lot better than I thought and easy job.

105 pounds does sound steep but then they are original audi rs4 cab mirrors so are top quality and and fit like a glove.

I'm waiting on my camera batteries to charge then I'll post a couple of piccies

Thanks for the info Juss

mine are genuine and are plastic andy. as for the rs4 b7 mirrors they do fit a b6 but you need the whole mirror including door fixing plate to fit them

i have the plastic ones and there crap, they have bubbled up badly ( be careful, especialy when cleaning them ) taking them off and buying genuine metal ones.
the father in law has the oem metal ones on his and they are far better.

1wheelonly said:
i have the plastic ones and there crap, they have bubbled up badly ( be careful, especialy when cleaning them ) taking them off and buying genuine metal ones.
the father in law has the oem metal ones on his and they are far better.

I take it yours are OEM plastic ones, I'm surprised that they have bubbled as they are basicaly just silver painted mirrors with a matt laquer.
Maybe you were unlucky as I've not seen any posts regarding an ongoing problem with the RS4 mirrors bubbling

The ones I have are from a 2006 RS4 cabriolet and look new and unblemished.

Before putting them on I washed, clayed and waxed them just to make sure they are tip top and well protected from the salty roads.

100_1293.jpg

...heres mine, Cost me a drink for my Cuz who sprayed them. TBH ive put these against the genuine matt and even though there is a Difference, its not a massive difference.
1Wheel - You gotta be careful mate because ive seen a few advertised on ebay and they are basically standard ones been sprayed matt silver effect and if they aint done properley, they react and bubble!!!

Andy - No probs mate, anytime!

Chas - I thought the same when I was looking for some. Because I wanted the Matt ones, I thought they would be Metal but its only the Alluminium ones (obviously) Chrome effect that are Metal.

Its got to be something to do with the look, why manufacture metal ones then Matt them?? hence why the matt aint Metal....Chapter 1 verse 35666553:hi:

jase0851 said:
mine are genuine and are plastic andy. as for the rs4 b7 mirrors they do fit a b6 but you need the whole mirror including door fixing plate to fit them

...something I looked into aswell, ****** expensive though, Ouch:asskicking:

J7USS

im on my fourth audi now and have had several pairs,all matt, my father in law has matt aswell and every pair mentioned were matt effect and were 100% metal.

1wheelonly said:
J7USS

im on my fourth audi now and have had several pairs,all matt, my father in law has matt aswell and every pair mentioned were matt effect and were 100% metal.
The b7 RS4 has the plastic folding ones as pictured above (courtesy of J7USS),these are the ones I have, they came off a 2006 RS4 cabriolet, I can only assume they are unique to this model.

I'm assuming that neither you or your Father in law have never owned a B7 RS4 cabriolet as you would've had plastic ones fitted and not metal.

It does seem strange that Audi have fitted plastic ones, maybe it's for asthaetic reasons, matching the mirror casing colour to the "A" pillar or something, who knows!:think:

1wheelonly said:
J7USS

:think: ....you maybe right actually

Brush aluminium!!