New 170 tdi Quattro first impressions....

julians said:
The 'balls' holding the parcel shelf up are a real pain in the backside though.

This is a known problem, Audi started fitting stupid bags to them to stop them from rattling

h5djr said:
As everyone else seems to manage the locking and the UNLOCKING of their A3 without any problems then it's either you or the car. As it only involves pressing a button I'm sure it must be the car that's at fault.

Dave - although the system appears simple I do have issues with the unlocking sequence - I too have to get into the rear door to put laptop etc in - mostly this works ok but more frequently then it should this sequence seems to go a bit 'screwy' for want of a better phrase. No matter what I do the doors just will not open with the key fob - i have to press the button on the inside of the drivers door in order to achieve this.

As I posted earlier this week my rear offside door is now dead - was in at dealers yesterday and they said they have seen a few where the fuse has blown due to repeated pressing of the unlock button on the remote - so it's not a unique issue here.

thought I was going mad then

Thought I was imagining it all

Thought my local Audi dealer was right

They're a great bunch, Audi dealers you know, always attentive, respectful and fix any quibbles I have first time, they are truly great people

clearly

Sorry if it seems negative but if you'd had 13 wheel bearings, 3 steering racks, 2 bonnet "resprays" because of dealers scratching it when they cleaned it would you be looking forward to owning it for a further 12 months?

If I'm being overly sensitive, please let me know

Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of problems. I'm on my 6th A3 and have only ever had very minor problems which have been sorted without any problems by my dealer.

bacardi said:
clearly

Sorry if it seems negative but if you'd had 13 wheel bearings, 3 steering racks, 2 bonnet "resprays" because of dealers scratching it when they cleaned it would you be looking forward to owning it for a further 12 months?

If I'm being overly sensitive, please let me know

God obviously gave you one of the sh1t A3s off the factory line :lmfao: Lets hope mines not like yours :sorry:

Well, it looks as though I've stirred up a hornets nest with this post, so this will be my last post in this thread.

To the people that have chipped in silly posts like "If you don't like the car, sell it and just SHUT UP", you obviously didn't read from the beginning. It is a company car, so I'm stuck with it for the next 3 years (or hopefully a lot less if I get a new job :D ).

I will simpliy conclude with I do not think the 8P is as nice as the 8L, that's my opinion.

I have realised that I have taken a big step down in quality, performance, handling, style and comfort and with this in mind, I will have to learn to live with the A3 and try to change the things that annoy me.

Thanks to h5djr for giving me the part number for the tensioners, that'll be my first port of call. Next will be sorting the windscreen washers somehow and then I will look at removing the drivers side handle next to the gearstick and replacing with something neat.
h5djr said:
It's probably a company car so he's probably stuck with it for 3 years. Perhaps he'll become the new Bowfer once he's got his new Alpina
You may be right!
GeoffT said:
Again I have not had this problem - are you, ahem, a very large gentleman?
Quite the opposite. I'm 6ft, but slim.. which may be the problem. If I was a fatty, I'd have a little more natural padding on my knees!

I'm signing off from this thread now before I **** off every 8P owner on the forum... it was not my reason for posting.

Thanks to h5djr for giving me the part number for the tensioners, that'll be my first port of call. Next will be sorting the windscreen washers somehow and then I will look at removing the drivers side handle next to the gearstick and replacing with something neat

I'm sure, in the past, I've seen padding available for the similar 'handles' on the centre console for the TT. May be worth investigating, either by contacting The TT Shop in Bedford or looking in the UK TT Forum.

Another option may be to remove the 'handles' altogether.

Here is a pdf from the workshop manual which shows that it can be done:

removing the grab handles

Garth_S3 said:
I'm signing off from this thread now before I **** off every 8P owner on the forum... it was not my reason for posting.

Good debate though! :rockwoot:

Well I wish the problems with mine were all so minor.

Can't say I have noticed any of the problems mentioned.

OK I do find I need to press the unlock button in fairly quick succession to unlock all doors and I don't always get it right, but I sure have a whole lot of other things in life that get my attention more than that.

After 20 months of problems and an engine replacement I am still losing coolant but have to say that when it's going I still love driving it and get a buzz out of it.

h5djr said:
Another option may be to remove the 'handles' altogether.

Here is a pdf from the workshop manual which shows that it can be done:

removing the grab handles
Have had A3's for years, no problems at all with any of mine apart from one door lock. I am a fussy ****** too!! My 1986 BM last one was a heap of trouble, VW's and Audi since have been great/

Sussex Lad said:
Have had A3's for years, no problems at all with any of mine apart from one door lock. I am a fussy ****** too!! My 1986 BM last one was a heap of trouble, VW's and Audi since have been great/

I had a 1986 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 CDI

Myself and my Father, who bought it off of me put it through 226000 miles and all we changed was a clutch and fuel pump

oh how I wish my 2005 A3 was as reliable

First VAG car and I have to say I think that they are absolute (Sorry Dave) *****

I made the stupid mistake of buying an 8P A3 without a test drive, Foolishly I thought it would be the same as the 8L I had driven a few times.

D'oh what a mistake - sold the A3 after just 17 days, driving position was hopeless, knees kept hitting those ridiculous handles, seats were uncomfortable and unsupportive amongst other things.

I took a 72 hour test drive in an A4 and changed to that and have never looked back - a world of difference to me personally.

If the A3 works for you then thats great but it just didnt 'click' for me. I certainly learnt a lesson though, I will NEVER again buy a car without the most extensive of test drives. Minimum of 48 hours and a few 100 miles. If a dealer wont give me this then I would simply shop elsewhere.

All the problems and issues I had would have been discovered on an extended demonstration period:icon_thumright:

Garth_S3 said:

No offence taken mate, I'm in your camp. There are lots of things that I think are nice about the S3 (8P), but I constantly find myself hankering back for my 05 plate LCR. Yes it was less refined, yes there was less badge prestige, and yes there were lots of rattles in the dash, but it had a charm that the S3 has never came close to matching. If I knew what I knew now (I bought the car pre-launch which was probably brave), I would have stuck where I was and spent a few grand on KW3's and a bigger turbo conversion. Plus the dealers are pretty poor which for a 'premium brand' is disappointing.

I dont get how peoples knees are anywhere near the handles that are around the gearstick area? You push the clutch pedal up and down with your left leg, not side to side...

If the A3 works for you then thats great but it just didnt 'click' for me. I certainly learnt a lesson though, I will NEVER again buy a car without the most extensive of test drives. Minimum of 48 hours and a few 100 miles. If a dealer wont give me this then I would simply shop elsewhere.

All the problems and issues I had would have been discovered on an extended demonstration period:icon_thumright:

I agree completely. Personally I love the A3 but, although I'd had 4 8L A3s before, I borrowed a new 8P with a DSG gearbox over a week-end before I decided it was the car for me. It is essential in my book to have a good expended drive on any 'new' model before making the final decision. Fortunately I'm on very good terms with my sales guy and he is quite happy to let me have almost any Audi for the week-end. Perhaps not an R8 though!

Matt said:
I dont get how peoples knees are anywhere near the handles that are around the gearstick area? You push the clutch pedal up and down with your left leg, not side to side...

I guess if people say they find that a problem then it must be true, but I have to agree - I'm around 6' 3", with fairly long legs too, and I just don't find them a problem at all. Plus with DSG I guess my leg is even further over more of the time... no clutch changing.

However, I guess that's not really the point. I can't think of much worse than spending a lot of money on a new car and hating it, any way forward is going to involve the loss of £££'s which is never good. Clearly the moral is long test drives.