S4 Purchase - Tip or Manual

Spr0cket

Reaction score
Well after selling our much loved 04 S4 saloon a couple of years ago due to a short term overseas, the Audi bug has gone and bitten me again.

Previously had a saloon with the manual 6 speed box and was very pleased, except for occasional traffic congestion where the on / off nature of the clutch and 1st gearing made it less than ideal.

So this time around, wife wants a drop top - so we're likley going to opt for an S4 cab - though the avanat's have that sleeper appeal for me. I'm struggling on decision though of manaula or auto, anyone have any direct feedback or input on the tip vs manual debate. I've tried a tip for a short test run and it didn't feel quite as fast as a manual, though this may well be due to the less demnading nature of simply concentrating on the steering with less other things to juggle simultaneously? It was smooth enough and seemed responsive to changes, although down shifts were a little more hesitated than I'd like.

So any A4 / S4 cab drivers with good or bad stories of their ownerships - just trying to sanity check what is going to be a considerable (to me at least) financial outlay and would be keen to learn of any other experiences that might help conclude the buying decisions.

I can't comment on the S4, but I love my tiptronic in my 2.5TDi. I do spend a bit of time stuck in traffic, so it's ideal for just lazing back and not worrying about riding the clutch and cramps in my left leg. But, it's great for a bit of rapid fun in sport mode, and even better in tip mode for the twisties. The downshift can be a fraction slower than a manual, but once you're used to it, you start to anticipate it better, and you'll find yourself shifting down that small fraction earlier. I LOVE MINE!

Manual all the way especially on an S4. Can't believe they even do an Auto.
Unless it's DSG then manuals are always quicker than auto's, so no surprise there.

Thanks for input thus far.

Any S4 Tip drivers care to share their experiences?

zeratul said:
Aren't ALL A4/S4 Cabriolet automatics Multitronic gearboxes?

Nope. Multitronic is only for FWD cars. Quattros get a traditional torque converter autobox with tiptronic controls.

OK, Cool - In that case I would choose the Tiptronic S4. I used to have a 2 seater sports car but when my wife bought the Allroad with Tiptronic, I found this to be just as much fun and powerfull - with the advantage of the lazy side of an automatic! (I know the Allroad is not the same as the S4 but it is 180bhp!)

When I changed my car for the A4 Cab I would have gone for the auto but didn't want the Multitronic problems. (I couldn't afford an S4!)

Even if it is a bit less power... its an S4! its not going to be slow! :)

What have people found to be the biggest pluses and the most significant drawbacks when moving from a rigid roofed vehicle to a cab?

Trying to validate if the 15 minutes of enjoyment on a test drive translates into enjoyable year round use of such a car and are there any significant factors one should consider if heading down this path?

Surely the S4 would be a version of the DSG box rather than normal auto-they have paddles dont they???:happy:

Wes G said:
Surely the S4 would be a version of the DSG box rather than normal auto-they have paddles dont they???:happy:

DSG so far hasn't been available on an A4 (or any Audi with longitudinal engine for that matter).

AndyMac said:
Are there any S4 Tip drivers anywhere?

Tip all the time for me. Yes is does reduce the 0-60 slightly, but there again I think you would be hard pushed to notice the difference.

Personally I find dropping it in to Sport and booting it when possible a most pleasurable experience. However don't look at the MPG on the DIS!!

The other main advantage is downshifting on the fly in any mode, this is great for extra breaking in the corners or overtaking.

I am surprised you have found a manual, most I saw for sale were Tip.

Found a nice example on Saturday with all the toys I had wanted in the spec list, along with a couple I hadn't really expected to find - htd seats, dim / dip mirrors, Bose, cruise, wind deflector, front splitter and rear boot spoiler (similar to the saloon in appearance), nav, phone prep, 9 spoke wheels etc.
So with any luck, it should be fully prepped and ready by next weekend.
Moro Blue, blue hood, 54 plate with 29K on the clock. It's a tip and to be honest, it's actually better than I had realised when in sport setting.

Question: Does the Audi fitted phone kit provide BT as well as GSM cradle - or are they independant when Audi built the car? It has a cradle in the arm rest and a MFSW, and RNS-E so not sure if that means it has BT also or if that was another tick box on the factory order list?

AndyMac said:
Are there any S4 Tip drivers anywhere?

yes mine is a tiptronic
tried both before i bought and much preffered tiptronic
horses for courses driving round town the tip is way way better than a manual
for full on there is no differance ive raced manual s4,s and theres no advantage or disadvantage in either form
also the manual s4 has clutch worries so the tip sold itself for me

Not one to be pedantic (who me?) but the manual version is 0.3 seconds quicker to 60 (5%), but yes as you say no real world difference, probably more consistent on the Tiptronic.

Lg504213-01_1.JPG

dualmono21 said:
yes mine is a tiptronic
tried both before i bought and much preffered tiptronic
horses for courses driving round town the tip is way way better than a manual
for full on there is no differance ive raced manual s4,s and theres no advantage or disadvantage in either form
also the manual s4 has clutch worries so the tip sold itself for me

What clutch worries are these? Mine has had no issues, 53 plate same clutch, and I know of two owners whose cars have covered well over 80K on the same clutch. In fact this is the first I have heard of S4 clutch issues.

I think the tip is slightly more economical than the manual. The gearing is poor in the maunal.