test drove....

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
an R32 and a GTI today,I am so glad I never done it before owning the S3 or else I would of been laughing at it rather than buying it.

thats a reassuring comment Voorhees....... would like to have a go myself...... i almost ended up with a Golf gti 2.0T when i bought this.... i think its a nice looking car, it just continues with the Golf theme of old, massive side windows that you could fit a whole car through.......that being said, i walk past one on the way to work... love the steering wheel with the GTI emblem

Is the R32 that lame then? Thought they would be fairly tasty!
No it wasn't! I meant that owning the S3 with its looks and build and not bad speed has been a pleasure and glad I did it but them two Golfs were/are a much better car than mine

are the r32s heavier than the S3 my bother-in-law has one and we was on the way to a wedding in birmingham and i was caneing him all the way from leamington spa.:box:

darkside.gif

Can you resist?

an R32 and a GTI today,I am so glad I never done it before owning the S3 or else I would of been laughing at it rather than buying it.

Are you talking about the MK5 versions? if so not really a fair comparison a modern car against one designed in the nineties might be fairer to compare against an 8P S3, think this might just sway you back to Audi

Are you talking about the MK5 versions? if so not really a fair comparison a modern car against one designed in the nineties might be fairer to compare against an 8P S3, think this might just sway you back to Audi

Steve you are having a giraffe ain't you!? MK4 golf GTI!!!! what a fat useless piece of ****

Steve you are having a giraffe ain't you!? MK4 golf GTI!!!! what a fat useless piece of ****

Thats my point cars have moved on a fair way since the 8L S3 was designed, its much better than a MK4 GTI that was designed at the same sort of time. It doesnt suprise me that you found the MK5's better than your 8L, but now go and test drive an 8P S3 and see if you still prefer the VW's over the Audi.

Any BMW 3 series coupe from a 323 upwards

S3s do suck, its a fact!
They may have shortcomings but I think thats too strong
if this is going to turn into another "knock the S3" thread, I'm going to bed:lazy:

No its certainly isn't! I go by my original post in that I would not change the experiance of S3 ownership ,I have had and am having fun in the S3,I have seen about half a dozen in the two years of owning the beauty which makes it a wee bit exclusive.

I have had and am having fun in the S3,I have seen about half a dozen in the two years of owning the beauty which makes it a wee bit exclusive.

Where do you live? Honestly, on any given day I'll see over a dozen S3s in Berkshire. Seriously.

Dave I know you A3 guys have an inbuilt hatred of S3's but I swear on my balls thats about the sum total of the ones around here which I have clocked(top right corner by the word-location)
Seriously

yeah i see a few......

i think we need to sum this up once and for all....the S3 isnt the be all and end all..... it is the best car of its class for the given year which is what is was designed to do...at that time...... whats it like now? well its dated, albeit dated well IMO..... it still holds its own when compared to a few of the competition....however, things have moved on these past few years quite a bit and progress threatens this car now..... it isnt the best car on the planet, but is by no means the worst by any measure........if you dont like it, go and buy a focus and enjoy the newer design...which is still flawed when compared to the new version of our car... there is always something better which is why we sit here and dream of owning the Ferraris or Bugatti Veyron's ...i think the word is evolution

for now the car does what we expect of a comfy, reasonably fast well stable (4x4) car.......... yes it has holes but tell me a similar car for the same money that outperforms it in every way

rant over:box:

I see more S3s than A3s actually. But then possibly because I live in Berkshire, and people round here have oodles of money.

Theres actually a guy 4 houses down who parks his Ferrari 430 F1 Coupe out on the street,in all weathers. Mentalist.

I agree, a rare car is a nice thing to have, but around here,i dont know what that would be, everyone has STIs, M3s, 911s,and S3s.

There are 4 RS4s, 1 430, 2 911's and 2 Vantages in my road alone!

****** Hell!! sounds like Sandbanks.
I would love to see a few more S3's.....I saw one the other day and the driver gave me a double-take so it shows,see a few racing jags but no S3's...or A3's :laugh:
Golf GTI is the path I think I'll go

Maybe not!

The E46 330 Clubsport and M3 are great cars, but they are hardly Hot Hatches and were alot more expensive than the S3.

What other hot hatches was there at the time for the same money as an S3?

i thought he was talkin about mk4 too. thats what he got. i'm guna sell this car next year and go back to havin a M3 but a coupe this time.

Yep, I'm not a fan of the chrome mirrors which are a little OTT for my personal taste, and they are a nice target for thieves and vandals. The brushed aluminium effect ones are pretty tasty on a Dolphin Grey though.

good answer Golf lol......... i think the grey car would look totally ordinary without....if i had silver i wouldnt want them, i think noggy and reds look good with them too..... but then again, i havent had any stolen yet touch wood

I'm 49 and I drive an S3....not sure if this is going to turn into an insult!

You do see quite a few in MK and Norwich, but I will only give a nod if they have the aluminum mirrors....not that I'm a snob.

So would I unless they had Revo, Haldex Performance Part, Sprint Booster in which case I think perhaps not! :blackrs4:

I don't have time....I'm too busy looking down my nose at 'em (I'm assuming you are referring to the non-aluminum clad S3s....if you aint, I'm going to ignore you.....):notme:

I had heard that the solid blocks of aluminum are mined in a remote German mine, by blind midgets ..... obviously, they are all blinded so they can't reveal the whereabouts of the mine. That could be a load of ******** I spose.....

Thinks its more of an age thing

My dad was old (rest his sole) and he liked shiny things like that

Another S3 Slagging thread:3sadwalk:Dont know why you lot bother with them! dont think ive ever been on a forum that hates S3`s as much

i live in Berkshire and hardly see any s3's i see an a3 on every road i go on now,well almost.not having a dig but if people on here slate s3's and you own one, sell the thing and get a car your not going to moan about.does my tits in .if you dont like it dont buy it, surely you would look into the pro's and con's of buying a new car before you buy one.IMO

I dont hate S3s, just owned one for long enough now to see all the negative points

I look at all the recipets for work done to mine to get it to how it is performance wise now and its really quite depressing

ah fair play then mate,i do agree to a point that the handling isnt great.but speed wise it isnt bad for a hatchback/tank.I havent come across a hatchback with the same speed and build quality for the same price as the s3.some people will say golfs but i just think the mk4 golfs are a bit cheap lookin on the interior.

Everyones entitield to their views, its all on experience etc

I worked for VW for a bit so got to drive some cool cars from VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda and the S3 as standard was always a bit of a let down

When test driving a standard S3, it really didnt seem to be much quicker than my standard Golf Rallye!

The S3 is a great All-Round car, which is what I bought one for. I need to be able to drop the seats down for when I go to the air cooled vw shows in the summer, or for chucking the Cannondale in after a ride, I need the comfort for touring etc

yeah i agree as a complete package for an every day car its great,if i wanted a very quick hatchback id buy a clio 182 or 106 with an mi16 lump chucked in it like my mate has done,that thing flys completely stripped out bar the 2 front carbon bucket seats.lol.im happy with my s3 having owned it since june last yeah and still havent had it remapped,on purpose so when i get it remapped it will seem like a new car,thats until i finally finish saving for my 350z.lol