Suspension problem (I think) - please help!

A3_'99_Tsport

Reaction score
I have a 99 T Sport which makes a loud crashing noise every time it goes over the smallest of bumps in the road.

In 2006 the 'bushes' were replaced (apologies for lack of information - that's all it says on the receipt) and then 6 months ago the rear axle was dropped and the trailing arm bushes were replaced.

All this work but still the problem persists. Is there anyone out there who can identify the problem? Is this common with the 8L chassis?

Thank you very much in advance.

Depending on what bushes were replaced, it could be the same ones have gone again or the ones that didn't get changed have finally died. Normaly your simptoms point towards the anti roll bar bushes (£3 from GSF), altho its worth changing the drop links too (£8 from GSF), from my past expeireinces with other VAG cars the strut top mounts can also cause knocking noises when going over bumps. All are cheap and easy to replaice, and if you have the funds I personally think its best to change them all.
I just changed my arb bushes and drop links and it took no more than an hour and has cured all the old knocking and clunking noises. I have new rear axle bushes to fit when my new suspension arrives along with strut top mounts, because it makes sense to do it while its all apart.