A3 1.4T FSI Vs Swift Sport 1.6VVT

New Age Driver

Reaction score
I was looking at the Suzuki Swift Sport earlier on and noticed that it has a much better 0-62mph than the A3 1.4T FSI. I just wanted people's views on the two. I know they are both never mentioned in the same breath but I kind of put that down to the Audi brand name rather than the car. I think you get ALOT more for your money with the Swift Sport (Keyless entry and keyless start, climate control, red & white interior with Sport bucket seats) than you do with the A3. I'm hoping some of you can have a fair, unbiased view without making pointless remarks. I think looks-wise, the A3 beats it but what about performance-wise and what you get for your money? An A3 is £15,000+ whilst the Swift is in the £10,000 range..

Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6

Max Output (kW/PS@RPM) - 92/125.1 @ 6800
Max Torque - 148/109.2 @ 4800
Piston Displacement - 1586
Engine Type - 1.6 petrol with VVT
Fuel Tank Capacity - 45litres
Gross Vehicle Weight - 1485kg
Max Speed - 124mph
0 - 62mph - 8.9 seconds

Comfort
- Power Steering
- Front Electric Windows
- Heated Electric Door Mirrors
- Remote Central Locking
- Keyless Start
- Pollen Filter
- Radio/CD Player with MP3 & Speed Sensing
- Volume Control
- Audi Controls on Steering Wheel/Tilt Adjustable Steering
- Tinted Glass

Audi A3 1.4T FSI

Max Output - 0(125)/5000
Max Torque - 147(200)/1500-4000
Piston Displacement - 1390
Engine Type - Inline 4 Cylinder
Fuel Tank Capacity - 55litres
Gross Vehicle Weight - 1820kg
Max Speed - 126mph
0 - 62mph - 9.6 seconds

Comfort
Electric front window
Electric rear windows
Electric mirror
RDS Radio
CD player
Power steering
Traction Control
Alarm
Immobiliser
Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners
Central locking

A max speed of 14mph in the Swift woukd be slighty off putting hahaha!
I like them, alot, think they stand out in the supermini world, but you summed it up, they cannot be mentioned in the same breath.
Think residual values, what will a ricer supermini be worth in 1-2 years compared to the A3?
Depends what ya want it for I guess mate! Bet the Swift is ace to chuck around and rev the tits off it!

that weight difference is what kills it, otherwise theres way more torque on the 1.4 for longer, if driveability was the the priority 1.4 would win, if cost is the priority the 1.6 beats it and then some.

A max speed of 14mph in the Swift woukd be slighty off putting hahaha!

Hahaha ****** typo. I can run faster than 14mph. I meant 124mph.

You say Audi beats it hands down but in what sense? I also said that the reason why many people will probably go for the Audi (other than this being an Audi forum) is the fact that the Audi brand name is perceived as a classier car. Does the 1.4T FSI beat the Swift Sport peformance-wise?

The Swift would take down the Audi's pants, and IMO be more 'chuckable' if that makes sense? Quicker in the sprint, and bet the VVT revs like ****!
Sensible option = A3
Heart option = Swift!

If you are looking value for money... Audi is not the place to look...

You get so much more standard equipment in Renault, Citroen or Peugeot.... for less money.

Pedro

You get so much more standard equipment in Renault, Citroen or Peugeot.... for less money.
Pedro

For less initial money. Then (alas!) they continue to depreciate like a stone. You also get shed loads of equipment in Vauxhalls, especially if you enjoy that as well.

I know they are both never mentioned in the same breath but I kind of put that down to the Audi brand name rather than the car.

I would disagree - the reason most people wouldn't put them in the same breath is not at all due to the Audi brand name - the cars are in totally different markets. Swift small (and I'm guessing that model is a performance model of the range) - natural 'competitors' in that market are the Clio, Mini, 207 etc. A3 1.4 - entry level engine, much heavier, bigger family hatchback.

I would imagine the forthcoming A1 would be a more relevant comparison to the Swift. I cant comment directly on the Suzuki as I've never driven it - I had the Liana a while back as a hire car (that car is Suzuki's 'competitor' to the A3) and it was poor in entry level guise.

I hear good things about the Swift, but I was looking in that market, I'd not be considering an A3 as i would be wanting a totally different type car and be checking out models such as the Clio 197 or Cup, Mini, Fiat 500, 207 GTI, Ibiza etc.

Like anything with cars, looking at it is only a small portion. Secure a test drive with the Swift and find out for yourself. It is the only way you can find out for yourself - however helpful we try to be by putting effort in offering our opinions.

Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6

Max Torque - 148/109.2 @ 4800
Audi A3 1.4T FSI
Max Torque - 147(200)/1500-4000

I think you might find the Suzuki a bit gutless to drive. You would be forever thrashing the Jap engine to get any 'go' out of it, whereas the Audi would be much more relaxed and able to haul itself out of corners effortlessly.

The torque figures say it all really.

2 totally different kind of cars. Swift will be a more chuckable fun to drive car on the odd occasion you get chance on a clear road to have some fun but not as nice to live with on a day to day basis IMO.

A3 is better looking, uses nicer materials, has a nicer styled interior but thats what you are paying the extra for! All depends how and where you drive. I spend the majority of my time on dual carriageway A roads so dont really need or want a thrashy chuckable little car at the moment.

I think you might find the Suzuki a bit gutless to drive. You would be forever thrashing the Jap engine to get any 'go' out of it, whereas the Audi would be much more relaxed and able to haul itself out of corners effortlessly.

The torque figures say it all really.

Not so...

They are chalk and cheese..
The Swift is a proper hot hatch...light, chuckable, great suspension, high revving engie etc...
The A3 a luxury mid sized hatch.

The Swift will always be more fun to drive..more involving...but less suited to long motorway journeys. I doubt you'll find it's performance lacking either..the gearing is good on it.

I though about a Swift Sport and loved the low gearing, the high revving engine and the chassis...as a hot hatch, it's great.
But a direct rival for the sort of car the A3 is? Not really...
They are poles apart.
One very god an doing comfortable, long journeys and general running about...the other more of a drivers car in in an old school hot hatch sort of way.

If you want well built luxury but little involvement or fun...buy the A3.

If you want fun and involvement and don't mind working the car hard and compromising on the noise, luxury etc, and intend flinging it about on back roads, buy the Swift.

the two cars shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath is you ask me - but each to their own!

its your money!

I though about a Swift Sport and loved the low gearing, the high revving engine and the chassis...as a hot hatch, it's great.

Whilst I have no direct experience of the Swift, before I switched to Audi I had a Civic 1.6 VTEC, which has a near identical engine spec to the swift (albeit in a crap chassis).

That too had a very smooth and free-revving engine, but it needed to be, as unless it was thrashing at 4000-5000rpm it had no performance at all. Virtually zero torque at lows revs, and a total pain in the **** for everyday driving due to the need for constant cog swapping.

As you say, they are chalk and cheese, but I know which one I'd have !