clutch tips

bazza s3

Reaction score
hi people im going to change my clutch at the weekend. just wondering has any one got any tips or is there anything to watch out for thanks

Remove the subframe if you have time. Makes the job easier as it gives you more space to wiggle the box out. Down side is you'll need to get your wheel alignment checked.

Try not to swear at the air con pipe too much. Have fun.

doesnt the subframe need to come out anyway on the quattros?

thanks people not realy looking forward to doing it doesent look fun! ill let u know how i get on tomorrow.

I found it to be silly things like the afore mentioned aircon pipe hooking up on things and preventing the flywheel from turning when undoing and tightening clutch bolts.

Getting the box on again is fun. Lift, wiggle, (doh, me arms are aching)....relax. Then repeat until it slides on. You'll probably need to lower the gearbox end of the engine tilting it down to aid removal.

You got an engine support to go on the top of the wings?

yea got engine support doing it at work. i usually work on trucks everything is easy to get to on them. doesent look like there is a lot of room on the s3 think my nuckles are gna suffer oh well.

good luck bazza,i also work on trucks mate i work for Daf in Reading where do you work

i work for a place calld facelift mainly work on volvos.

well the gearbox is out havent put it back in today becaus i ran out of time didnt start it till 12 the aircon pipes are a pain in the *** no matter where u put em there in the way gna put it all back tomorrow cant wate (not)

did you have to take the subframe off?

does any one know if there is any special way of bleeding the clutch??

Same way as bleeding a set of brakes, mine bled up within a few minutes.