S3 225bhp or 210bhp?

robthehungrymonkey

Reaction score
Hey,

Am new to the site, having just put a deposit down on an 2002 S3, thought it was time to join!

The S3 I have bought has chromed wing mirrors, and is registered in APril 2002. Does this make it the 225 bhp version? (to the best of my limited knowledge, it was uprated in November 2001). Do the chrome mirrors signify the "facelifted" version? As, to be honest I hate them!

Taking delivery by the end of the week hopefully!

[ QUOTE ]
Robthehungrymonkey said:
Hey,

Am new to the site, having just put a deposit down on an 2002 S3, thought it was time to join!

The S3 I have bought has chromed wing mirrors, and is registered in APril 2002. Does this make it the 225 bhp version? (to the best of my limited knowledge, it was uprated in November 2001). Do the chrome mirrors signify the "facelifted" version? As, to be honest I hate them!

Taking delivery by the end of the week hopefully!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you hate them that much, you could donate them to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2002 is 225 version. You should see a 'BAM' on the data sticker under engine code (this is on the inside frnt cover in the service book!)

Rich

I'l have them as well! Perhaps Me and Rich could have 1 each? LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

The main problem with mirrors is that it's a red car, and I don't think they go, doubt i'll care that much, can't see too much of them from the drivers seat!

[ QUOTE ]
heated seats RRRUUUULLLLEEEE! in winter and sux in summer!

[/ QUOTE ]

you could always use the switch to turn them off in the summer.

they do rock in the winter though, even on cool mornings like today there ace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

nah summer mornings when the windows are down and it's a little bit chilly i just swith on the heated seats and enjoy the fresh air.

Also good in summer

heard if u go for max max power, the 210 powerplant can take a little bit more hp?

anyway, the 225 got nicer dash anyway~

I wanted those heated seats ;( , my V5 got it, i miss them when its cold at nite n i m i nthe S3

The best engine is the AGU 1.8T Its is just a simple engine! nothing fancy, so is capable of more power as has BIG ports. Jabba have got 400bhp out of this engine!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
The best engine is the AGU 1.8T Its is just a simple engine! nothing fancy, so is capable of more power as has BIG ports. Jabba have got 400bhp out of this engine!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Aiii /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Aiii /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an AGU... Watch this space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cyuen said:
heard if u go for max max power, the 210 powerplant can take a little bit more hp?

I wanted those heated seats ;( , my V5 got it, i miss them when its cold at nite n i m i nthe S3

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the difference on the dash then? I have the 210bhp and I thought I had the later style dash?

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
cyuen said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the difference on the dash then? I have the 210bhp and I thought I had the later style dash?

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 210bhp facelift models. 2001> are facelift (with the excepton of a few)

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have some goodies to go on at the weekend too, although I am AEB. I have the large ports for sure, but is the difference between AEB & AGU transverse & Longitudinal?

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have some goodies to go on at the weekend too, although I am AEB. I have the large ports for sure, but is the difference between AEB & AGU transverse & Longitudinal?

[/ QUOTE ]

AEB and AGU are pretty much the same and yes, the differnce is basically just that its longitudinal not transverse. I dont know of any UK company actually doing big turbos for the A4 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich

Sorry Rich, I cant see your reply - only my quote...

Merlin - Can't see your pic....

cheers
rich.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Sorry Rich, I cant see your reply - only my quote...

Merlin - Can't see your pic....

cheers
rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again. My bad!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

AEB and AGU are pretty much the same and yes, the differnce is basically just that its longitudinal not transverse. I dont know of any UK company actually doing big turbos for the A4 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I mate, I tend to do all that sort of thing myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll be making my own manifold etc.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I mate, I tend to do all that sort of thing myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll be making my own manifold etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent! the rest of the Jabba kit .etc would work... im pretty sure of it! reckon the fuel rails .etc and injectors are all the same. The turbo would kit but just means fabricating pipework .etc. Forge do a nice front mount IC for the A4. Yours is Quattro right?

Rich

No worries about the pic.... I thought it was probably one of those posts which branded ALL 210bhp's S3's as pre facelifts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers
Rich.

Rich - I am not using an IHI turbo, mate. I've got a K04 hybrid. I'll be happy with 300 at the flywheel. I've got a set of 325cc injectors ready (I've got 4 of them for sale if you need them). Spearco front mount cooler (universal one with DIY boost lines)

It's nothing major as I'm not keeping the car for much longer, not like you'll be doing anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would the KO4 hybrid fit the S3?

Straight swap..........bolt on job?

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
Would the KO4 hybrid fit the S3?

Straight swap..........bolt on job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike - I can't honestly say without seeing how much room the S3 has around the compressor area. The turbo I've got has a significantly a larger compressor housing than stock, but providing you've got the room then the main hardware is bolt on.

2 things need changing - the air inlet and compressor outlet are larger, so you need a couple of reducers for the boost plumbing.

P2200002.jpg

P2200003.jpg

can you give us more details about this hybrid k04 - i'm wondering whether its a serious contender compared to a jabba ihi upgrade?

who made up the hybrid k04?
how does it maitain boost compared to a standard k04 or the ihi?
is the exhaust turbine/housing standard - in other words is it only the air side of things that needs work rather than the exhaust.
any dyno runs with this turbo?

thanks