S3 Panel Filter Options

S3-N

?
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the options are for replacement/performance panel filters for a standard S3?

Get onto the Green website and see what they have or phone awesomegti and get one from them

I have one in my tdi and was told it was the best to get and its a good filter!

I don't know the best one , one of the lads on here is running 383bhp and he runs a BMC panel filter!

Don't buy one that is oil'd as it's no good for the turbo, so buy a dry one!

p

Panel filters are enough... and you only get gains from direct induction (correct my english here please) if you can source cold air... which on the S3 engine bay is not that easy at all...

Pedro

I've got a 'Green' panel filter which is supposed to be one of the best....

Panel filters are enough... and you only get gains from direct induction (correct my english here please) if you can source cold air... which on the S3 engine bay is not that easy at all...

Pedro

A panel filter won't give you any BHP gain , but it will help the car breath a tad better , making it a touch more responsive , and a slight increase in induction noise!

p

cheers guys

Eagle79 - would that be a Green Cotton filter? if so where did you get it and would it fit a standard intake (i see you have the Carbonio)

Phantom - Is the BMC oiled? i wasn't sure

I've had a look ath the www.greenfilters.com and www.greencotton.co.uk and neither list a filter for a 2.0TFSi let alone an S3.

Eagle79
Do you know the model number on your car? Where did you get it from?

Also, from looking at the maintenance procedure, it looks like the filters have to be oiled. Do the filters come pre-oiled or is this just after the first cleaning process?

I think aftermarket panel filters won't make any noticiable gains on performance and actually might prove to be harmfull to engine...

As someone said let engine breath better so one assume air is "less filtered". If it only for induction noise fine or if it is cheaper than standard fine...otherwise i would not bother...

Sorry guys, not being silly, but for me upgrades are only performance minded... that is one of the reason why I don't change anything on my car because if I start changing I know I am going to spend lots of money on it... Like full exhaust with custom headers, ECU upgrade, full suspension upgrade, forged pistons, engine blueprinting... we are talking 5-6 grand... so not going there... Also I would end with an unsellable car...

Little mods are not my thing... but keep up the good work and improve your machines performance and style wise... I am just weird... lolol

Pedro

As someone said let engine breath better so one assume air is "less filtered".

No mate, the whole point of them is you get the same filtration but with better airflow.

I'd like to hear an S3 with an aftermarket panel and it'd have to sound a lot better for me to part with cash!

When's the next south meet anyway?

I haven't got a after market panel filter as yet i may not , there roughly £30-40 a pop , how much is a std paper filter from Audi? £15? it's not gonna break the bank so go after market and it should last longer than a OEM filter too!

p

No mate, the whole point of them is you get the same filtration but with better airflow.

I'd like to hear an S3 with an aftermarket panel and it'd have to sound a lot better for me to part with cash!

When's the next south meet anyway?

I know it is the point... but some of my mates had some problems running aftermakert filters on their Saxo Cups and Pug 106 GTI some years ago... somehow that always put me off...

Pedro

I know it is the point... but some of my mates had some problems running aftermakert filters on their Saxo Cups and Pug 106 GTI some years ago... somehow that always put me off...

Pedro

Aha I see. Never heard of that before. What brand did they fit? and was it a panel or induction kit?

When i had the Clio 182 spending £40 on a panel filter was the best value for money mod i did.

A tad more responsive , but the sound was lovely, at speed it sucked and wooosh'd like a turbo.

p

one fitted a BMC panel filter I think... I don't really know if he didn't maintained it or something but what happened is after 5k miles new valves and even cams had to be refitted as somehow got stuck making the engine lock from hidraulic lock up... he was lucky no damage to conrods or pistons...

The other one had a KN induction filter and performance wise the car was slower... sounded good that went bad... maybe lack of cold air...

I have one good experience. KN induction on a Honda Civic CRX 1.6 VTEC sounds and goes like nothing else... great little car.

Pedro

I think that so long as it doesn't have any negative effects, £40 or so for even a tiny improvement in sound or responsiveness is worth the cash.

one fitted a BMC panel filter I think... I don't really know if he didn't maintained it or something but what happened is after 5k miles new valves and even cams had to be refitted as somehow got stuck making the engine lock from hidraulic lock up... he was lucky no damage to conrods or pistons...

That doesn't sound like it could be caused by a panel filter!

I've got the BMC on my car and as everyone has mentioned, no performance gian in outright BHP, but you can sense that it responds better, certainly lower down in the rev range. I've had mine on for over 4k miles and the car hasn't missed a beat - even on a run to the alps and back, no hesitation etc, etc. Couldn't say about change in induction noise, but I have the carbonio too, and that certainly has an impact on induction noise. It's not N/A so the increased noise is more turbo noise. It's not massively louder so it sounds 'chav', but certainly sounds more potent! I'll be honest, I put the carbonio on purely for cosmetic reasons.... it just looks so much tidier!

They never found out what caused the problem... poor filtration? maybe... but the fact was it was the only mod the car had at the time with a rear muffler... the car had £20k bought from new... so I know it probably has nothing to do but in the back of my mind....

Pedro

Ess Three (Glen) did a test on his 8L S3 a few years back in regards to K&N filter (amoungst other componets). He did a before and after on the rolling road and found they were were of no real benefit and could actually reduce torque IIRC. That plus the danger of the oil contaminating the MAF really put a few people off the idea.

That doesn't sound like it could be caused by a panel filter!

I've got the BMC on my car and as everyone has mentioned, no performance gian in outright BHP, but you can sense that it responds better, certainly lower down in the rev range. I've had mine on for over 4k miles and the car hasn't missed a beat - even on a run to the alps and back, no hesitation etc, etc. Couldn't say about change in induction noise, but I have the carbonio too, and that certainly has an impact on induction noise. It's not N/A so the increased noise is more turbo noise. It's not massively louder so it sounds 'chav', but certainly sounds more potent! I'll be honest, I put the carbonio on purely for cosmetic reasons.... it just looks so much tidier!

Is the BMC a dry filter? does it fit the OEM air box? have you got a link mate to where you bought it from ? i can't find it for the 8p S3!

Cheers mate.

p

Hey mate,

All info here http://www.bmcairfilters.com/products.asp . It's product code: 409/01 which is the same code as for the 200bhp TFSI engine - so NOT S3 specific!

On the BMC website it says about replacement panel filters:
They are filters that replace original paper filters in the filter box.Air filters replacing original BMC ones are designed and made to guarantee greater air capacity than traditional paper ones. BMC filters use aluminium net treated with epoxy resin to guarantee resistance to fuel vapours and oxidising due to humidity. The filtering material is special cotton soaked in low viscosity oil to guarantee greater permeability to air.

So, yes, they do have oil, but as I said, I've covered some distance on mine now and not had a single problem. Fitting is easy - disconnect MAF, airbox and hose, pull sharply on the engine cover then unscfrew and split the engine cover - swap the filter and put it back in - takes about 30-40 mins.

Hope that helps,

JK