clutch pedal dead

S90GAV

Reaction score
only had the S3 a week yesterday, and the clutch pedal as died! pressed it heard a snap and it didnt come back up. theres a few small bits of snapped plastic in the foot well too. had a read through here and seems too be a common problem. luckily its got a 30 day warrenty from the garage so they are collecting it tomorrow.

Yeah sounds like the master cylinder has died, like you say quite a common problem. At least you've got a warranty hey :)

Yeah sounds like the master cylinder has died, like you say quite a common problem. At least you've got a warranty hey :)

Nooooo

It's just the metal on the top of the pedal that holds the 2 clips that has fatigued and fractured taking the clips with it.

Buy the white clip (this locates onto the Master Cylinder shaft ball) and the black retaining clip, about 49p each, get the garage to weld the top of the pedal (it's soooo obvious what do do once the pedal is off) and it will be stronger than the original.

I bought a new pedal and 2 lots of clips, welded the old one and kept it in the spare wheel well as a spare. Pretty much all AA and RAC guys know how to change these as it's a very common problem.

all just get the garage too replace the whole thing instead of welding, i aint bothered as i aint paying :)

well she got picked up this morning

P1010422.JPG

all just get the garage too replace the whole thing instead of welding, i aint bothered as i aint paying :)

I wasnt suggesting that, I suggested that you should get the old one back, welded, with a spare set of clips as spares.

What are you going to do if it happens again and you're miles away from home? You're enjoying a nice little break a few hours drive away and snap, it goes again. You're off the road and holiday spoiled unless of course you have the spares and you'll be off and running again in under an hour.

I wasnt suggesting that, I suggested that you should get the old one back, welded, with a spare set of clips as spares.

What are you going to do if it happens again and you're miles away from home? You're enjoying a nice little break a few hours drive away and snap, it goes again. You're off the road and holiday spoiled unless of course you have the spares and you'll be off and running again in under an hour.

Surely if you take that view then you'd need to carry a duplicate of just about every mechanical part in your car! "Oh no my turbo has just blown but that's ok cos I've got a spare one in the boot"!!

i have brakedown cover :)

get taken home and borrow a car :)

Surely if you take that view then you'd need to carry a duplicate of just about every mechanical part in your car! "Oh no my turbo has just blown but that's ok cos I've got a spare one in the boot"!!

That's a stupid comment and you know it is. Can you change a turbo in under 15 minutes and by the road side? No! Can you or a recovery mechanic change the clutch pedal in that time? Yes!

Mechanical failure on a car is a fact of life and no matter how well you look after your car, something will fail, however this is one of those failures that result in a basically unusable car that could be so easily avoided.

My point is "Once bitten, twice shy", if you're aware that this is a common problem and it has happened to you, you'd be stupid not to take proactive action to prevent the inconvenience of it happening again. Especially when the parts can be had for under £1.50! Even if it's just for peace of mind.

Peace of mind would be nice but 9 times out of 10 the part that breaks on the car will not be the spare you carry!!