overheating problem help!!

d18ony

Donnie Mac
Reaction score
I was driving home today when the water temp light came on, i looked at the dial and it was up at 110. so i pulled over and let it cool down. i took off again and about 3miles later same again. i checked the water level and it was fine, the cooling fans both came on. ive put it on a vag scanner and fault number 16501 came up. (Engine Cooland Temperature Circuit - Low Input (High Temp) ) And also 18010 (Power Supply (B+) Terminal 30 - Low Voltage) I dont know if these are related to one and other of its just another fault which has arisen. For the last couple of weeks, when ive started the car, there has been a whinig noise from something, which im now starting to think was maybe my water pump? Are these prone to failing? My car has 71K on it, apparently the cam belt and water pump belt were replaced at 50K by the previous owner, but there is no stamp in the servie book for it so he was probably talking ********! Can someone please help me!! It was ment to be going into revo tomorow morning too, argh!

I would get the pump and cam belt done if your unsure, especially if you want to get it Revo'd!!

Water pump failure is a very common problem accross the whole VAG range.

Water pump failure is a very common problem accross the whole VAG range.

I think most of the standard water pumps have plastic blades, and most if not all of the replacements are aluminum? Metal basically. Dont know why they didnt do this from the start.. Give it a good service before revo.. i always change the cambelt on a new car unless its a trusted stamp, get some decent coolant, summers around the corner.. Hope you get it sorted tho!

Also found this.. could help..

1. Temp Sender Change; common fault; £30.00 to sort and 5 mins to do
2. Thermostat; comes hand in hand with the sender; £30/40 for parts + labour to do it, bit of a ****** to get to IIRC