Parking barriers at airports....

newbiecrg

windsurfer
Reaction score
Hi guys this is really a silly question but do you know hoe those barriers on the airport short stay parks work?

They go up once you take the ticket but what really controls them to close?

I am asking as my car is a left hand drive I will have to get out of the car to collect the ticket... I don't want the barrier to hit my car just because I would take longer to get through it...

Thanks for the help
Pedro

there's an infrared beam the detects when a car has passed through it and then closes the barrier. It is normally on the button side and comes out horizontally.

If you follow somebody through it quickly and it starts to come down it will actually go back up if you break the beam before it gets all the way down. Don't know if it is a safety feature, or in case you have a trailer\caravan.

and there was me thinking there were little magic people inside the yellow box :)

left hand drives no problem as they stay up until you pass over the inductive loop in the ground after the barrier, i had a silly problem at Bristol airport last year paid on line so you need to use the payment card you used on line to open the barrier then it wont give it back until the barrier closes straight to the person in the car behind ,good system that mine got spat out on the floor infront of the next car

Rob

My ex never had problems with any parking barriers and she had her LHD Punto over here for 4+ years. Obviously being in a Punto, it being a tad slimmer than an A3/S3, she could just get as close to the ticket/button thing as possible and then lean over, stretching her arm out of the passenger side window. Not once had she ever had a problem with a barrier coming down before she'd had chance to settle back into a normal driving position... and then make sure her hair was still 'right'!