S3 - Nurburgring Lap Time / Upcoming Trip

Staz/Beddie - which route do you tend to go ?

First trip we did Dover - Dunkerque as we went onto a track day at Spa after the ring so we assumed it would be easier to be nearer the ferry for the drive home,
Turned out to be a bit of a nightmare lol, bad commuter traffic in belgium on the way back and got stopped for speeding in france and nearly missed the ferry, then a nightmare drive up the M20, M25, M40 etc back to Manchester, driving for 13 hours, never again lol

Since then we've always gone via Hull - Rotterdam, can be in Hull in an hour and half, have a laugh and a beer on the overnight crossing and it's only 200 miles to the ring from Rotterdam, ferry crossing is more expensive than the tunnel etc, but when you factor in extra fuel/time getting to the south coast and back it works out almost the same imo :icon_thumright:

Staz/Beddie - which route do you tend to go ?

My usual trek is te Calais - Lille - Brussells - Liege - Monschau route but is there another, better route I don't know about ?
Any roadworks this year I should be aware of ?

Also I've always used the ferry in the past but am thinking of Eurotunnel this year. Any experiences of Eurotunnel - positive or otherwise ?

I have just popped into the office to check if we're free that weekend but I have a dinner night on the friday and I'd need a good excuse to get out of it! I may have to go the following weekend instead. There's always ****** something!

I work in Germany Iggu so I won't be travelling across the water. If you can afford the tunnel then go for it. It's fabulous. Check in, short queue for the train, on the train and leave soon after, before you know it you're on the other side and it's straight off the train and onto the motorway! Also it doesn't really matter what time you arrive because you just get on the next train.

Plus, the run from Rotterdam always seems fairly traffic free, straight run through Holland, hang a right heading towards Koln and plenty of derestricted sections :thumbsup:

Rotterdam ring road is the only slow moving part depending what time you hit it but the ferry doesnt sail till 9pm so makes for a relaxing last day, few beers and some grub on the crossing, into Hull for 8am and back on my drive for 10:30...

I'm in Manchester also - and the drive to/from Dover is the worst bit of the whole trip. Is it really only 200 miles from Rotterdam ? I'll look into that overnight ferry .... cheers.

I'm in Manchester also - and the drive to/from Dover is the worst bit of the whole trip. Is it really only 200 miles from Rotterdam ? I'll look into that overnight ferry .... cheers.
Yeah mate, 203 miles from Ferry to our hotel near the ring :thumbsup:

I personally can't stand the drive to/from the south coast, especially when your coming home and already feel gutted about not being on holiday any more lol, last thing you want is an 8 hour drive up through the worst roads the UK has to offer :sadlike:

Hull - rotterdam is operated by P&O, 12 hour crossing with cabin, great all you can eat buffet, loads of bars etc, good laugh!

Quick Routeplanner thingy if it works lol!
http://routeplanner.rac.co.uk//show...XwhaIg&t=51d706f1c51e4276e648e9562aedce2f

346km. From Manchester that's the best route by far.

Just got back from the Green Hell...

Best BTG time 8' 52"

Optimal time (calculated putting together all the best split times) 8' 43" BTG

Sadly the only filmed lap resulted in a 9' 01" BTG with three accidents on the track.

Great weekend with sunny weather and warm temperatures, lots of gorgeous cars...

Just got back from the Green Hell...

Best BTG time 8' 52"

Optimal time (calculated putting together all the best split times) 8' 43" BTG

Sadly the only filmed lap resulted in a 9' 01" BTG with three accidents on the track.

Great weekend with sunny weather and warm temperatures, lots of gorgeous cars...

BTG? Is that barrier to gantry? Most people measure from gantry to gantry as you can get held up going around the cones at the start.

That's a ****** good time though. My best was 9'15". I got held up at the start by 2 911s (sounds like a blag I know!) they kept leaving me behind on the straights but they were crawling around the bends. It took until nearly Hochheichen until they finally let me pass. We guestimated my time would have been about 9' dead.

BTG? Is that barrier to gantry? Most people measure from gantry to gantry as you can get held up going around the cones at the start.

That's a ****** good time though. My best was 9'15". I got held up at the start by 2 911s (sounds like a blag I know!) they kept leaving me behind on the straights but they were crawling around the bends. It took until nearly Hochheichen until they finally let me pass. We guestimated my time would have been about 9' dead.

BTG is "bridge" (at the corner of the entrance to the F1 track after the cones at the start) "to" the final "gantry" at the start of the final straight.

I think you mean the same thing by "gantry to gantry".

Thats a good time, Macs. My best is 8:45 BTG

I assume your S3 is chipped too along with Exhaust?

How many laps have you done? I've never managed a complete one without getting held up. Apparently the best time for an M3 is 8:22 but i'm not sure where they measure it from and to

Makes me like the S3 even more knowing that time is possible.

My mate managed 9:15 in his DC5 Integra Type R (but its limited to 112mph!)

BTG stands for "bridge to gantry" where the bridge is the first one you see (with the Bilstein sign on it) and the gantry is the one with the RS4 logo on it.

My car is not chipped, the mods are: HPP Gen II, Milltek TBE, dieselgeek short shifter, H&R front and rear sway bars, H&R springs, EBC redstuff pads, Goodridge braided hoses, Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

The only lap without traffic was the first in the morning, bust moist and leaves turned the track in a greased non-stick pan... Thank God I forgot to turn off the ESP...:sm4:

I have done 7 laps last year and 7 this year. I think that 8.30 is a possible time to get but don't know if will be possible to get any faster than that...

Cool, sounds like you've swayed the mods towards handling and breaking. I wonder how a standard S3 would compare. I'm keen to know how a chipped one compares too as that would be the first thing i did!

Think i've done about 15 laps in 4 years so very similar. Gran Tourismo on the PS2 helps!!!

Cool, sounds like you've swayed the mods towards handling and breaking. I wonder how a standard S3 would compare. I'm keen to know how a chipped one compares too as that would be the first thing i did!

I did 9:28 last year (BTG) when my car was standard but I wasn't really gunning it as I'd only had the car 3 weeks.

Ah I didn't realise it was a bridge, always too busy looking at the track!

I've actually been over the bridge too on the way to the camp site for rock am ring! :rock: