Bluetooth question

Roswell

Reaction score
Guys,

If I spec the bluetooth connection, do I have to get the cradle fitted or is this just a point for charging?

I think you have to have either the armrest mount or the dash mount. I didnt want either, so I retro-fitted a bluetooth only kit after I recieved the car.

There is a shallow (8mm) mounting post inside the armrest but my phone doesn't fix onto/into it in any way. Phone stays in the boot most of the time and works fine from there.

Iggu,

When you ordered yours did you ask for a cradle or did they offer you a cradle?

The bluetooth prep is £385 but if you want a cradle, which is obviously specific to your make/model of phone you have to ask the dealer. The cradle is an additional cost on top of the original £385.

I asked for NO cradle mate. Not even sure what the thing in the armrest is but I'm guessing its the bluetooth transmitting unit. Its slim, sleek and certainly isn't for holding anything as its smooth and has no latches or holds of any kind.

Hope this helps but feel free to ask me for more details. I can put up a photo if that would help.

This sounds ideal, not really that bothered about the cradle. Looks like it works without the need for it.

One more question. Can you use voice activated dialling on this kit, like I can do on my current Parrot kit?

Thanks for the info yet again guys.

One more......does that kit include an antenna? If so where is it located?

Thanks for the info yet again guys.

One more......does that kit include an antenna? If so where is it located?

Which kit? The audi one? Factory fitted telephone prep includes the sharkfin antenna on the roof. I didnt want this either, another reason i retro-fitted it. It was also cheaper as well!

Issac,

How much did it cost you to retrofit? Is it the exact same kit that Audi supply?

Where does the antenna go?

Cheers.

The sharkfin only works if you use the baseplate with the adapter. If you use bluetooth, the aerial of your phone is used in the factory kit. There is a bluetooth antenna which is different and picks up the BT signal from your phone.
I have never heard of a retrofit kit being wired up to the sharkfin, quite frankly, its not worth the bother!

Issac,

How much did it cost you to retrofit? Is it the exact same kit that Audi supply?

Where does the antenna go?

Cheers.

The entire kit was under £300 from ebay.de

You dont need an additional roof mounted antenna at all. Mine works just fine without an antenna.

Most Audi dealers will not supply you with a retro-fit kit as they say this is impossible - of course they are talking rubbish!!

Thanks Issac,

I don't know If I fancy retro fitting it myself. I will be putting my Phatnoise in, but it only involves removing my glovebox and stereo.

It is only £385 to add the BT to the spec of the car. I wonder if I can ask them not to put the shark fin in??

Hmmmmm.....decisions, decisions!

I would always spec the phone in a new car, its actually more exensive to retrofit it.
You will have the shark fin on it if you spec BT prep but I quite like it!

its actually more exensive to retrofit it.

Not always, my kit was under £300 vs £385 as the option price from Audi. Main reason was that I didnt want a cradle or a sharkfin on the roof.

I guess the sharkfin is a love/hate thing though!

the retrofit bluetooth sounds perfect to me, tricky to install?

not that tricky but you must have certain things..

RNS-E or RNS-Low or a multifunction wheel.
It still works without these but you need to use your phone to dial/answer etc which imo defeats the object.
and Vag com to program it up (you can sometimes get away without it if your lucky)

You need to at least know what can bus is (since you have to splice it into the can at the back of the radio) and be able to take the glovebox and similar items off.