My DIY guide for Retro fitting Puddle Lights

I've fitted the S3 door cards with the puddle lights to my 2012 A3 Sportback but they don't light. Do I need change coding only or do I have to wire up something on a "car" side (the "door card" side is wired up already)?

Also, I know that bytes and bits on cars with CECM have different numbers than those on before-2010 cars with BCM. I learned it when I retrofitted bi-xenons and headlight washers. Can anyone provide me with exact bytes and bits that should be changed to activate puddle and warning lights on a CECM equipped car? I need only numbers because I use OBDeleven and have no access to any bytes/bits description and can only check/uncheck boxes or enter values manually. Thanks.

As promised in my post about DIY retro fitting footwell lights (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58215) here is my guide to fitting puddle lights and warning lights.

I fitted these this morning, took about 6 hrs in total for both doors.

You'll need VAG-COM to switch on the puddle and warning lights, i would advise you to do this first.

You'll need to go to 42 and 52 for the door electrics.

puddle9.jpg

Then in the coding option you'll need to add '64' to the number you already have in the top box, mine was 0000560 so the final number needed was 0000624.

puddle10.jpg

Do this on both 42 and 52.

This the vag com side sorted out.

Now for the hard work.

First of all the doorcards will need to be removed.

Remove the trim.

puddle2.jpg

puddle3.jpg

puddle4.jpg

Undo the 3 screws holding on the door card.

Pull the door card off.

Undo the door handle cable and the electrical cable going to the door controller.

puddle5.jpg

Remove the white foam stuff.

Now you'll need to remove some of the bottom of the door card for the light to sit in place.

I used a drill and used a small drill bit to drill around the rectangle.

puddle13.jpg

Now the light can be palced into the hole, i used a tiny bit of superglue to keep the light in place.

puddle14.jpg

Now for the wiring - DRIVERS SIDE

You can wire the set up in different ways but this is the way i have done it.

Remove the housing from the main connector (GREY).

puddle6.jpg

Now pin 1 is the supply and pin 2 is the earth.

You'll need to get the supply wire to both the puddle light and the warning light.

I used one wire which then split off into 2.

As for the earth this is the way i did it:

Unplug the connector going to the door lock switch.

puddle15.jpg

Undo the clip from the connector by sliding it away.

puddle16.jpg

Remove pin 1.

puddle17.jpg

Replace this wire with another earth wire going from pin one to the earth on the warning light.

The wire which was removed from pin one must now be soldered onto the wire you just put in.

puddle20.jpg

Now you must solder an earth cable going from the puddle light to the earth wire you have just put in.

Put the connector back and plug it back into the locking switch.

Now put the main grey connector back together.

puddle21.jpg

This is what mine looked like when completed.

Put the door card back along with the door handle cable and electrical connector.

The lights should go on when the connector is plugged back in.

Now for the PASSENGER side

The same goes for the passenger side but there is no locking switch to mess with.

As with the drivers door grey plug needs to be taken apart, pin one is the feed and pin 2 is the earth.

Supply the lights with an earth and a supply just like the drivers side.

puddle11.jpg

Remember to tie the wiring down so it doesn't rattle when the doorcard is back on.

Put the door card back on and thats it really.

Here is the end result

puddle12.jpg

puddle1.jpg

If anyone needs any of the correct electrical connectors for the plugs etc then let me know as i have a supply of them.

Hope you find this post useful.
Hi
which one cable is earth on that dor lock connector ? I don't have any lights on door

Only use the door lock connector if your car is pree 2009
I spent some time yesterday trying to figure out the wiring then realised the instructions from Robin are pre 2009 cars.

Only use the door lock connector if your car is pree 2009
I spent some time yesterday trying to figure out the wiring then realised the instructions from Robin are pre 2009 cars.
Well I have 2011 and it is the same but am confused which connector he meant that pin one is 12V and pin 2 is earth bcos it isn't..
On main connector pin one is blue-brown and pin two is empty pin 22 I asume is earth reading from lock door connector as he wired it..

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_205454.jpg
    IMG_20180722_205454.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 430
Forget all the info you have read. its mostly early catsd
connect the live to 18 and earth to 19 in the large white conector and it should be fine if you have coded it. 18 and 19 will be empty at the moment

connect the live to 18 and earth to 19 in the large white conector and it should be fine if you have coded it. 18 and 19 will be empty at the moment
So coding is the same as he showed ok?
Ok thanks will do tomorrow ..

So coding is the same as he showed ?
Ok thanks will do tomorrow ..

Yes you do,if you bought your loom from Robin A3 the will be already attached. its plug and play.

You will need to PM robin to find out what those pins are,probably molex

TaDaaaa :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_195455.jpg
    IMG_20180723_195455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 407
Reactions: paddy and maxpayne
Welldone,don't forget with the logo lights you need to put one round the other way or one side will be upside down...

Welldone,don't forget with the logo lights you need to put one round the other way or one side will be upside down...
Haha yeah I know I had to disasemble it to check which pin is + and which - .. They already positioned it :) and I did turn it right way too
One thing ; so I removed ignition key and the light still lits ? is it normal ? Will this light turn off after door shut ?

Last edited by a moderator:
it should go out with the interior light after 30 seconds or so

Logo at night amazing :)

Attachments

• 1. Logo A3.jpg
    1. Logo A3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 465
Guys ..!
I just encountered problems with rear doors.. I cannot lock the car (well sort of I can )becuse suddenly there is no communication to rear doors?? WTF ? I have central locking system intemitent .. because rear doors malfunction ? I haven't disassembled rear doors at all just driver door ...
There is fuel tank flap error shorted to the ground .. jeesus ...
Anybody knows what caused this? hopefuly not that light underneath door ..

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 476
Managed to fix it oomg thnx god .. had orig auto-scan saved on USB ...:calm::hopelessness:

Reviving a semi old thread?? Doing the same mod the weekend, but also have an issue where i think pins 18 and 19 are empty both ways.
I know top side should be empty to insert new wires/connectors, but appears nothing is in pins 18 and 19 anyways, so led wiring would be connecting to nothingness? Making sure as driver puddle light already installed, just needs to be wired up. Have VAGCOM fyi.
Thanks

What year is your car Ashraf?

Hi. Apologies for not giving details
Mine is the 2009 facelift 3 door manual ( 100% stock... for now ).
I will only have an opportunity the weekend again to remove panel and double check the connector in question, but im very certain it has absolutely no wiring both ways at pins 18 and 19, but at the same time praying i am wrong :D

And thanks for the quick reply

48F3CD6B 97DA 4284 8C77 B478D12A1A1E
Hi. I'm another satisfied customer of Robin's footwell and puddle/warning looms, installed on my 2013 (US) A3 S-Line. A couple of things: On my MY, Pin 19 is occupied, so I spliced in the ground to 19 (earth to you in Europe) per Robin's instructions for the earlier 8P models. Because of the shortness of the wire that was in the ground, I stripped the wire from the middle of it and attached Robin's loom ground to it there (after stripping it of course).
The biggest problem I had was taking off the door card, main reason being I did not have the right trim tool. You'll need a long metal fastener removal tool. And where are the fasteners? See my photo, where I've circled the fastener locations for the driver's door. (The arrow at the bottom right points to the 7th fastener, which was obscured by the angle of my photo.) They are different color because I screwed them up using the wrong tool. Don't be me, lol. Haven't yet tackled the other doors, but will post when I do. Oh, and one more thng: When you're reinstalling the door card, it's easy for the cable to unhook itself from door handle, so watch it. If it's attached, you'll feel a slight tension from it when you're lining up the upper right corner into the window sill. Ask me how I know (sigh...).

Reactions: RobinA3
Never had a problem with the fasteners but normally lube them up so it’s easier to pull off next time.

Reactions: Seascout
Just to clarify, installed, tested and working. I was under the impression there were no wires on the plug where the harness attaches to, i was wrong.
Thanks again all for the info

Attachments

• IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    630.5 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_2432.JPG
    IMG_2432.JPG
    773.4 KB · Views: 384
Hi Guys,
To confirm for 2005 A3 sportback the pins are:

Front -
Pin 18 = Live
Pin 19 = Ground

Rear -
Pin 1 = Live
Pin 2 = Ground.

I had a try at the door card removal earlier and it's a right nightmare. But at least I know how to take it off now...
This wiring is correct for 2013 USA A3 Sportback as well.

Reactions: RobinA3
Hi guys, i have a question ,does work that coding to a4 b8.5 FL? I know,for me front doors are + pin 16 and - pin 5, rear doors + pin 12 and - pin 13. Have anyone idea that the coding are the same for me or is diffrent?

Thanks guys

Hi Robin
I've an Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI
I had ordered those projector type puddle lights but later on I realised I don't have no puddle lights .
Is there anyway you can fit it for me . I don't know if you live in London
I will pay for the kit you're selling and your charge for fixing the whole thing

Thanks
Ron

Hi Robin
I've an Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI
I had ordered those projector type puddle lights but later on I realised I don't have no puddle lights .
Is there anyway you can fit it for me . I don't know if you live in London
I will pay for the kit you're selling and your charge for fixing the whole thing

Thanks
Ron

Reactions: Marius_A4
Is it possible to code this with obdeleven rather than vag com ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

If not is there anyone with vag com in london preferably near hackney can also come to you pm me

If not is there anyone with vag com in london preferably near hackney can also come to you pm me

I’m happy to help you. I’m in Archway. Drop me a PM.

Reactions: e9_mustii
I’m happy to help you. I’m in Archway. Drop me a PM.
Ill keep that in mind bud manage to sort it through obeleven but if i wake up to a dead battery tomorrow morning then ill drop you a message, and yes i know its upside for anyone else that comments on its ebays **** up not mine
75c6b481366e29b8db8972927e279c34.jpg

Reactions: maxpayne
Looking good :D is it fixed in that position or can you not just rotate the filter/lens to the correct orientation?