Newbie help please

devil666x

Reaction score
hi guys, i hope you dont mind im a newbie and need some info. my last car was a b5 audi 2.8 quattro, amazing cars, however this new audi is baffling me.
this new one is 52 plate 1.9tdi 130.

first, the ESP light keeps coming onafter about 30 mins of driving (different times on different journeys). i can turn engine off then on again and it will disappear.

now this is my first diesal car. sometimes when i start the car, it will start then straight away cut off.engine will just stop. i been told that diesals you have to turn the key once, wait 6 seconds (something about glow plugs warming up) then start the car?

and lastly, this is more of a mechaical problem, i've just chaged the front brak discs and pads and the rear pads but i get a horrible grinding noise when i break. had them checked and the guy goes the breaks are fine. they are brand new. any ideas what this could be?

Hi there...

I think that the ESP light may have something to do with the work you have had done on the brakes. Quite often if you "knock" the ABS/ESP sensor when changing pads, it will show the ESP light on the dashboard. I have done this a couple of times. Just reseat the sensors.

You will also get this error if you have dislogded the brake pedal microswitch or if both brake lights are out...

Always ask on here - Audi stealers will charge you £50 for the priviledge of running the error through their diagnosis... normally, people have had your experiences a million times over!

Hope this answers part of your question.

hi thanks for your advice very much appreciated.

bit more background, sorry i ddnt mention earlier. when i bought the car avout 2 weeks ago, on high speed breaking the car would shudder massively so the garage told me it was breaks not being straight. so i got brand new front brakes and pads which sorted the isue out, ESP was coming on still.
so i got the garage to do the rear breaks, esp is still on, all the lights are working except one of the license plate lights.

esp light comes on a while after driving. im suspecting it may be due to the brakes squeacking? it makes a VERY loud grinding noise when breaking but i dont understand why as the brakes are new. the place i got it fitted is 200 miles away :(

ps: im in camden. london

grinding on new brakes isnt right, they should be quiet (maybe a squeal occasionally but no grind) - id take it to an independent garage or kwik fit for a wee look at it in detail wi all the wheels off & checked. ESP also comes on wi a fault in the ABS, prolly a wheel sensor there as said before but that shouldnt grind unless the sensor gets caught when you brake...

Check they fitted vented discs if its supposed to have them, as single ones are too thin if venteds are what its supposed to be....arnold clark did that to my alfa and had to replace them the next week.

Starting:
The glow plug light should go out after a couple of seconds before starting a cold diesel engine and it should fire up right away. It will not reliably start or idle if you dont let the glowplugs heat first if its sat overnight. A weak fob battery will also cause the immob to cut the engine a couple of times till it recovers from unlocking the doors...

grinding on new brakes isnt right, they should be quiet (maybe a squeal occasionally but no grind) - id take it to an independent garage or kwik fit for a wee look at it in detail wi all the wheels off & checked. ESP also comes on wi a fault in the ABS, prolly a wheel sensor there as said before but that shouldnt grind unless the sensor gets caught when you brake...

Check they fitted vented discs if its supposed to have them, as single ones are too thin if venteds are what its supposed to be....arnold clark did that to my alfa and had to replace them the next week.

Starting:
The glow plug light should go out after a couple of seconds before starting a cold diesel engine and it should fire up right away. It will not reliably start or idle if you dont let the glowplugs heat first if its sat overnight. A weak fob battery will also cause the immob to cut the engine a couple of times till it recovers from unlocking the doors...

cheers mate. I will do just that.

Thank you.