S3 vs 3.2 8P

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Chaps...... only at the consideration stage at the mo but im thinking of a possible change into an S-line 3.2..... thoughts experiences?

My first worry is that i will miss the turbo and the tuneability, second worry is that the 3.2 isnt the top model so will i always be pining for the newer S3.......

:blush:

The 3.2 is a great engine, I went from an S3 to an R32 and personally I prefer the low down grunt and effortless power throughout the rev band of the V6. It also sounds 10 times better than the clunky 1.8.

The A3 definitely needs to be an S-line and have a decent set of wheels or it could be seen as a bit dull.

It's true that the 3.2 engine is not very tuneable compared to the turbo, but a good remap and exhaust and CAI will boost it to around 260bhp and a 0-60 of around 5.6 seconds which should be comfortably faster than a remapped S3.

I considered this a little while ago, but came to the conclusion that it was going to be a sideways upgrade - as if to say not really going to gain that much. Maybe a slightly newer car, but it's going to cost you a lot for the pleasure (fuel and deprciation). But will still only be a sporty hatchback. Maybe you are just looking for a newer sporty hatchback?

I have decided to sort my suspension out and hang on to my 2001 S3 until I can afford to go up a step on the ladder. What my next car will, I dont yet know.

ICE

Buy the VF Engineering stage 2 supercharger kit for it. or even better there is an R32 for sale on pistonheads with the kit already installed. I would say running costs on the 3.2 will be slightly higher including road tax!

Tim, ive had ALOT of driving experience in my uncles 8p 3.2!!! Its an awesome car to drive, dosent feel as agile as youd expect from a heavier car but holds well!!! Go drive one, think the noise alone will sell you it!!! The a3 in question also had the dsg box which works very well but gets tiresome after a while!

Personally id buy an r32, due to the fact it stands out more and looks more agressive.. If its understated street sleeping neighbour waking brute fource your after, then audi all the way!!

Oh and the fact you said 'i always be pining for the newer S3.......' that says r32 golf all over it!! Some one called me a snob for saying, if you buy a car lower in the range, youll always want the one better than it!! I can so relate though!!! Never wanna be second best!

muches chaps..... think i will have to have a look at one..... like i said though, it was purely a thought whilst i was lounging on holiday, i would like an 8P but the spec would have to be high (similar to this car)which i am going to pay for given the age of 8p's, also it would have to be facelift as the first cars looked poo without the large grill.....

Scott i agree mate.... think that the S3 is the top of the tree and anything less will not do, sounds snobby but it depends what you look for in a car...although the pockets aren't bottomless yet:eyebrows:. May actually have a look at an R32..... when i bought this i looked at the latest golf 2.0T which really didnt appeal so think unless its a new R32 (which are still pricey)then its a no go'er.

looks nice Scott, wanted a bit newer if i did change though, lovely car though!!

You said it right Tim!!! Or are we just snobs?? lol. Any way, the reason i looked at r32s was you can pick them up for around £9-10000 on a 53 plate which is 2 years newer than mine with about 60,000 miles which is less, plus there abit rareer than the s3, not to mention the noise they make!!! have a spy on youtube at r32's with milteks!! cream ya pants material!! lol.

Think the a3 3.2 are 100% understated! If you dont get the s-line they just look like the 1.6 model. My uncle was goin to take his badges off just to annoy people off traffic lights!! Wolf in sheeps clothing! As your the same as me, id always want the 8p s3!! Dont no y, just never happy with inferiorism.... if thats a word! lol

yup totally in same ball park.....the age thing is less of an issue than spec

gonna nip on utube later though haha, also considered an M3 which would defo have to be test driven before the next change.... ah crap ive opened a can of worms

I lost to a 3.2 DSG in my mapped S3 on the strip, did have a poor start mind you, they are very underrated in my opinion. :racer:

That old chestnut again...twas my 3.2 which is now for sale-:sign_plug:
Completely standard car other than votex body kit & only 27k on the clock... I have advatised it at what I was offered for it as a trade in a couple of months ago would rather someone buy it for that than a dealer make money on it...bargain!:eyebrows:

yours is an AMD map though mate:p:thumbsup:

:sob:

That old chestnut again...twas my 3.2 which is now for sale-:sign_plug:
Completely standard car other than votex body kit & only 27k on the clock... I have advatised it at what I was offered for it as a trade in a couple of months ago would rather someone buy it for that than a dealer make money on it...bargain!:eyebrows:

What's the replacement Wes?

:sob:

What's the replacement Wes?

No idea as yet...at the mo it depends on weather I wake up with my sensible head on or petrol head,today I have been looking at getting a cheaper run about,being an A2 TDI,last week I was looking at trading it for a Scooby again so who knows???Will give it a couple of weeks to see if I can sell it private, if not I will trade it up for something? I`m rubbish at selling cars-never have any luck,thats why I have stuck it in the paper at the trade value `ish` in the hope that it goes:thumbsup:
You fancy a swap lol?:cool:

Stick with what your've got is my advice....they are lovely cars and i thought about one too before getting the S3... but the S3 is after all an S3, It'll hold is value better long term, the 3.2 you can now pick up for about £8000 because people don't want to run such a big engine, and to be fair doesn't look much different from a 1.6 with nice wheels.........:s3addict:

Funny you should post that dan, was interested in that myself!!! bit on the steep side though!!

woah!!! somebodies trying to claw back their entire investment costs...... agree scott its a really nice car but 18k!!! the kid is dreaming unless he can find an idiot whos gonna break the bank to get it.... wey over priced and we all know you never get anything back for mods (in most cases you get less than if it were standard)

Id of said the s3 may have an edge due to the weight advantage?? Would be mint to see though!!!

If I was going to buy an 8p and could not afford the S3 then i would get a 2.0 tdi s-line and chip it, the 3.2 does not look any better than any other s-line.....if you want bhp and performance per pound then stick with your S3..

animal i would say if your thinking about a new car set aside a weekend and go and test drive loads of car's you like in your price range don't just settle for wanting the car because of the badge, i think i might have done that with the S3, don't get me wrong i love mine to bits but sometimes i think that i could have looked at a lot more car's other than thinking i just want a S3. You could look forward to a wk end of driving a M3, 3.2 A3, 2.0 s.line, maybe a new shape integra, S2000, scooby, evo, R32, new golf GTI, you never know you might be suprised in what you like, i wish i done that, i would be well excited knowing i was going to be doing that at the week end now.