A4 Cabriolet ... auto ...

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
Is the autobox in the cabriolet a tiptronic slushbox or is it the multi tronic box ? what are peoples thoughts on the auto and 3.0 petrol, i'd prefer a manual but they all seem to be auto's. Oh and arn't they all quattro ?

There was tip tronic auto boxes & 3.0 quattro versions made of the Cab, its just a case of waiting for them to come on the market.

My understanding is, the 3L petrol and diesel are tip-tronic and the smaller engines are milti-tronic, due to the fact that the multi-tronic cannot cope with the torque produced by those engines. I would have always chosen a manual but I’ve had two multi-tronics now and love them. The only thing I don’t like is you cannot drop the clutch and pull away quickly as you can with a manual. The automatics seem to have that slight delay from hitting the throttle to pulling away.

thanks, as you say I always thought the multi box was on the 2.0 and below and that the models above always have the 6 speed auto. I also thought all 3.0 petrols were quarttro and that it wasn't an option, again thanks for your replies.

Oh and has anyone driven the 3.0 petrol, what do you think ??

thanks, as you say I always thought the multi box was on the 2.0 and below and that the models above always have the 6 speed auto. I also thought all 3.0 petrols were quarttro and that it wasn't an option, again thanks for your replies.

Oh and has anyone driven the 3.0 petrol, what do you think ??

The saloon was only in quattro, the cab had quattro as an option. I imagine it was done as a weight saving measure to offer it without quattro, although big engine & fwd = understeer if your pushing hard in corners! My saloon A4 was a 3.0 quattro sport & it was sublime basically!! The engine is bullet proof, very smooth & good low down torque, excellent for both cruising along or giving it the beans! The noise was awesome too, windows down at every opportunity was a must just to savour the sound, would be wonderful in a cab with the roof down!

Its not an out & out sports car so the more common 3.0 fwd may surfice, the quattros will be rarer & no doubt more expensive as they are in saloons, you'd also get a little better mpg not having the quattro sapping a few bhp! Driving both will ensure you can make the best choice for yourself.

I have a 3.0 six speed tiptronic auto And its a dream to drive The box is fantastic And the engine is very refined and surprisingly good on fuel !!
Scotland001-2.jpg

Picture142.jpg

Picture135.jpg

Picture091.jpg

what is the difference with all the auto boxes please? What does each box do to make it better / worse than the other auto box?

The tiptronic box is a conventional 5sp auto box with torque convertor, the multitronic box is 7 and in the latest audis 8 speed, it has no fixed ratios and is a series of belts on cones that move about. Without the torque convertor it takes less power and produces better mpg. The DSG box is something different again.

The tiptronic box is a conventional 5sp auto box with torque convertor, the multitronic box is 7 and in the latest audis 8 speed, it has no fixed ratios and is a series of belts on cones that move about. Without the torque convertor it takes less power and produces better mpg. The DSG box is something different again.

My tiptronic is six speed !!!