advice after major detail!!

btmotorsport

Soon be christmas!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Just bought lots of goodies from the lovely people at Polished Bliss, Menzerna Intensive Polish, Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze and Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste!!!!

I have only done the bonnet so far, just to see how it goes and due to the lousy weather!! I've got two questions really, what's the best way to apply the wax? I used a Lake Country CCS Applicator Pad to apply a light coat then buffed off with a micro fibre cloth, do i need to work the wax a lot or is it just a case of "wax on wax off"???!!!

The other question i have is what's going to be required to keep it looking nice after a wash? Just keep adding wax?????

Any advice is greatly appreciated

A good place to start is to read the sticky threads at the start of the detailing section. Lots of really good advice there. Other good advice over at www.detailingworld.com

i would recommend having a look at detailingworld.co.uk all you will ever need to know about cleaning your car is on there if you take the time to look around ;)

I'm no expert, but I'm confident there's no way you'd have to re-apply the wax every time you wash.
You're paying for finish and endurance, after all.
I currently use Meguires Crystal polish to get the car shiny, maybe two or three times a year.
On top of the polish, to keep it shiny, I use Collinite Marque D'Elegance wax, maybe three or four times a year.
In between that, a quick wash (with a wool glove) and dry (with microfibres) has it looking top notch again.
I will be switching to polishedbliss products (Blackfire Midnight Sun) when my existing products run out, but I don't expect any more effort.
I still expect a good polish no more than two or three times a year, with three or four applications of wax per year to keep it looking good.
With regard to application of wax, I use Meguires foam applicator pads, then immediately buff it off.
I do this panel by panel.
This matches their (Collinite) instructions and works well.
I used to wax the whole car, then buff it off.
The wax used to go rock hard though, making the buffing a nightmare!:faint:

To me, good quality products are as much about making your life easier, as looking good.
When the wife moans about wax costing £xx per tin, I point out the fact her car always looks good and I don't have to spend much time doing it.:o.k:

no need to keep adding wax after a wash. i find a good way to keep your car looking fresh is to wash, then while the car is still wet spray quick detailer onto the car and dry as normal.

Just bought lots of goodies from the lovely people at Polished Bliss, Menzerna Intensive Polish, Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze and Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste!!!!

I have only done the bonnet so far, just to see how it goes and due to the lousy weather!! I've got two questions really, what's the best way to apply the wax? I used a Lake Country CCS Applicator Pad to apply a light coat then buffed off with a micro fibre cloth, do i need to work the wax a lot or is it just a case of "wax on wax off"???!!!

The other question i have is what's going to be required to keep it looking nice after a wash? Just keep adding wax?????

Any advice is greatly appreciated

When applying the wax, there is no need to work it in, just spread a lovely thin layer over the panel, then leave a few minutes and buff off gently using a plush microfibre towel. No effort should be involved!

For routine maintenance, washing and drying will be perfectly fine, and will leave the finish looking great. I would suggest that rewaxing every 8 weeks or so would be sensible, as it will allow layers to build up, and increase the overall level of glossiness. If you fell you would like to add a little extra every time you wash and dry the car, you could use a quick detailer when drying off, as suggested above. In this respect Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant is an ideal choice, but it is in no way essential to ensuring the finish looks good; washing a periodic rewaxing alone will see to that. :icon_thumright:

Rich, what would you recommend for my metallic black BMW?
I was thinking of that Jeff's acrylic kit thing + blackfire midnight sun?
Or is both OTT?
I must get my **** out to Kintore soon....

The Werkstat Acrylic will give you a lovely sharp shine with plenty of flake pop, but no real sense of gloss. Adding the Midnight Sun would give back the missing gloss, but would then mean topping up would have to be limited to fresh wax layers... which take more time to apply/buff than fresh coats of the Trigger. My advice would be to start with multiple layers of the Werkstat and then evaluate the finish - if you like it, then leave it at that and save your cash. However, if you find you end up craving more gloss, then you know the Blackfire is the way to go. :icon_thumright: