(another) Tax Question

Reaction score
My tax runs out on 1st Sep, so I was going to buy 6 months now and 12 months next Feb to avoid the tax increase on 1st March.

Question is...
(1) - will the post office sell me 12 months at the current rate (£210) in Febuary, or are they going to say that I can only buy at the higher tax rate because my renewal is for 1st March.

(2) - If (1) doesn't work, can I buy 12 months in January to start on 1st Feb, and even though I'll be paying tax for February twice I'm still saving money.

Sorry for such a boring thread!

Post Office? Surely no one queues up with the worlds dross to renew these days when you can do it online in 3 minutes?
You can only retax your car 2 calender months in advance, and by doing so the charges will be the same as if you did it at the last minute. You'd be better off doing 12 months now, at least that will guarantee 6 months at the old rate.

I'm doing exactly the same as you. I'd never thought about the tax starting from 1st March so being at the higher price. I just assumed that as I was buying it before 1st March then I'd be ok...hmm! I guess the best thing to do would be to go and ask at a post office.

think that if your tax is due on the 1st march as thats the day of change then id expect you to pay the higher rate, so what id do is get the 6months now then start the new tax in 1st feb and see if you can send your old tax back and get the 1 month rebate lol then you will lose nothing and no you've scammed the scammers, however all ok till the following year when you cant hide

Here's the gist:
Renewing your tax before the 15th September?
£70 saving on offer
�� Get six months now and re-new next March to save Parker’s advises anyone with a band F car, who is renewing their road tax before mid-September, to tax their car for six months.
That means you’ll have to re-new your car tax by March 2009 – before next year’s higher
charges come into force.
You'll be entitled to get 12 months tax for £210, rather than the new rate of £300 - and
make a £70 saving.
This benefits a range of owners of band F cars, including those of the Mazda MX-5 2.0i
Sport 2d Roadster Coupe.

Cheers for the replys. I usually do renew online, but the renewal letter has two price tickboxes (6 or 12 months) , and figured I'll have more options from the postoffice like starting 12 months tax from 1st Feb.

Need to read the Parkers website, but buying feb twice and getting a refund sounds like a good backup, and still cheaper if I cant get the month back.