which S3 map do you lot advice ?

Personally I think the difference the remap makes is definitely worth the money and risk regardless. I just think people need to be aware that there is an element of risk involved and even these warrantys don't take that away

Exactly. And as we know the stage 1 chips aren't really pushing the engines to their limits. Just releasing power held back artificially by the manufacturers.

My opinion hasn't changed whatsoever knowing now that I'm not covered.

Exactly. And as we know the stage 1 chips aren't really pushing the engines to their limits. Just releasing power held back artificially by the manufacturers.

To add to what Staz is saying, I had my last superchip on my 8L S3 for nearly 45,000 miles and had no problems as a result of the map.
Just had the usual 8L gremlins (Coilpacks, Clutch Master Cylinder, squeeky ARB's!).
So long as you treat the car properly by getting everything up to temp etc(like you should with out a map!!) you'll be fine.
Some of the guys on here have had maps on there cars pretty much from day 1 (Staz, you may have even been one of them mate) and had no prob's.

J

(Staz, you may have even been one of them mate

I had the blank handset in the box ready to go! But I waited until about 700 miles. Now on nearly 4000 I think and the only thing I have had is a misfire on 1 cylinder that I found with VCDS. Didn't notice it at the time though.

Although I was doing 119MPH apparently so that's probably why lol :thumbsup:

:iagree: 100%
If they are looking for it they will see it - there are lot's of giveaways - as mentioned before, recorded boost pressures would be the obvious one.

Like the boost pressure going down? These are my reading done with vagcom.

S3_4.jpg

S3_5.jpg

Interesting that!
The point we were making was that if a dealer/insurance company really REALLY wanted to find if there was a map on a car, they could.
The comment about boost was based on the fact most maps increase boost. I'm sure there are loads of other parameters that are different with a map that a dealer could look for.

Two things which may be of interest :

1. I emailed the ever-helpful Jamie Turvey at SuperChips about how my map would be affected by my already fitted Forge CAI (which is just fantastic by the way) and my potentially soon-to-be-fitted Milltek turbo back exhaust. His comments were interesting.

...we are up against the capacity of the high pressure pump on the S3, any more and the rail pressure collapses, causing the diverter valve to be opened to dump the boost. The pump is the same part number as a regular GTI but the lobe on the camshaft that drives it is bigger. There are pumps with higher capacity on the market but these come with warnings that they may damage the camshaft

It seems to me that SuperChips are offering what they believe to be the maximum power output which can safely be delivered without changing the fuel pump (and if you do that you may have to change the camshaft). Fitting the Forge and Milltek will do no harm at all with the current map (my Forge has significantly changed the driving experience) but if I were to take the map any further then hardware damage could result. As a consequence I'll be sticking as I am ..... SuperChips work very closely with VAG and I trust their comments when the reliability of my engine is at stake. Just my view but I've read threads on this forum and others where mega-chipped cars have needed cams/pumps replaced.

2. I have a mate who works at Alfa Romeo (admittedly not Audi but they have access to Audi's software and diagnostics) and out of interest he ran their computer on my Bluefinned car and said there was no way that the garage would know it was chipped. Nothing showed up at all. Whether an insurance company would go any further than the opinion of a major dealership is another question ....

Two things which may be of interest :

1. I emailed the ever-helpful Jamie Turvey at SuperChips about how my map would be affected by my already fitted Forge CAI (which is just fantastic by the way) and my potentially soon-to-be-fitted Milltek turbo back exhaust. His comments were interesting.

...we are up against the capacity of the high pressure pump on the S3, any more and the rail pressure collapses, causing the diverter valve to be opened to dump the boost. The pump is the same part number as a regular GTI but the lobe on the camshaft that drives it is bigger. There are pumps with higher capacity on the market but these come with warnings that they may damage the camshaft

It seems to me that SuperChips are offering what they believe to be the maximum power output which can safely be delivered without changing the fuel pump (and if you do that you may have to change the camshaft). Fitting the Forge and Milltek will do no harm at all with the current map (my Forge has significantly changed the driving experience) but if I were to take the map any further then hardware damage could result. As a consequence I'll be sticking as I am ..... SuperChips work very closely with VAG and I trust their comments when the reliability of my engine is at stake. Just my view but I've read threads on this forum and others where mega-chipped cars have needed cams/pumps replaced.

2. I have a mate who works at Alfa Romeo (admittedly not Audi but they have access to Audi's software and diagnostics) and out of interest he ran their computer on my Bluefinned car and said there was no way that the garage would know it was chipped. Nothing showed up at all. Whether an insurance company would go any further than the opinion of a major dealership is another question ....

Some interesting info there, Thanks! May I ask what are your impressions of the Forge CAI with Bluefin? I'm looking to have this exact same combo on my S3 but I've heard some stories of low end power and torque being affected by the CAI's when compared with the stock airbox. And do you know if your Bluefin map has been tweaked to take into account that you're running the Forge or does your map just adjust accordingly? Thanks again!

I have a re-map by Superchips, took about 2 hours to do its hidden away but I have told my ins co anyway.

I am very happy with mine, I got AD-Superchips to install it as I had read poor reports on the bluefin, mainly that people fecked it up DIY!!

On my next car (TT-S) vep I am sold on the new TT!, I will go mtm, as they seem to have a good relationship with Audi.

Some interesting info there, Thanks! May I ask what are your impressions of the Forge CAI with Bluefin? I'm looking to have this exact same combo on my S3 but I've heard some stories of low end power and torque being affected by the CAI's when compared with the stock airbox. And do you know if your Bluefin map has been tweaked to take into account that you're running the Forge or does your map just adjust accordingly? Thanks again!

Forge CAI + Bluefin = Heaven.
To be honest though - it did take about a week or so to fully loose up which I must put down to the MAF/ECU getting used to the different temperature and denser air coming in. For the first week there was a noticeable drop in low end shove but now ...... its a beast. I couldn't live without the noise now and the grunt when it comes on boost is scary. Where are you? If you're anywhere near me you're welcome to come out and see for yourself !