Noisy AC Comp or Tensioer

yy54cnk

Reaction score
Also posted in AC forum.....

Hi, after some advice, have had new MOT today, flew threw - happy days!!!

When it had cambelt Audi advised 'sqeaky' AC compressor, this was March 08.

Noise has not got any worse since, the mechanic had a good look at it for me today as I'm off to France in Sept and Oct, he says that the noise is probably coming from aux. belt tensioner.

Got home tonight and decided to have a look, checked the tensioner by releasing pressure of belt and seems fine - no play and nice and smooth.

Car was idling and I tried to pin point noise, couldn't and then remembered AC issue raised previously.

Switched climate on and set to 19, noise stopped.

Climate off, noise back and vice versa.

I'm leaning more towards the AC compressor being on its way out

or

Could it be the extra load of the compressor is taking up any play in the tensioner.

Car is A4 Avant 54 plate tdi 130 Sport.

Any ideas????

Cheers

Hi

I had a very similar noise seemed to happen worse when the stearing was at or near full lock, my garage replaced the Tensioner and under my (non audi) warranty the steering pump. The noise still persisted!!! It turned out to be the alternator pully. This pully has a non return system and it had failed causing the noise. this was on a 2002 130 Tdi. If i remmber correctly this part costs £40-£60 and not to much labour. May be a good idea to get this done before the compressor. Also my Tensioner was nackerd but was not the source of any noise.

Toby

Right then, got new alternator pulley from audi, fitted last night, no change to noise.

Managed to pinpoint that the noise is definately being generated from the AC Compressor - but the comp. works perfectly when climate is on, when climate is in econ. with no compressor operating (i.e. no load) noise appears.

Whats the make up of these pulleys, can't see any electro mechanical clutch as suggested in Aic Con sub forum but the FAQ's are A3 biased.

Anyone shed any light, Audi want £220 to fit new pulley as they believe this is the cause of the noise.

Help/Advice appreciated

:sos: