Private plate

FazS3

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a plate privately,currently the plate is on retention i just want to find out what fees would be needed to be paid to dvla?any help much appreciated
cheers
Faz

I have just brought "J11 MHH" through RegTransfers.

I payed the cost of the plate itself, and £80 to the DVLA for the license. (+ £20 to have acrylic plates made)

*EDIT - but I'm not sure about plates on retention, sorry :)

I have just brought "J11 MHH" through RegTransfers.

I payed the cost of the plate itself, and £80 to the DVLA for the license. (+ £20 to have acrylic plates made)

*EDIT - but I'm not sure about plates on retention, sorry :)
did you not pay assignment fee jimmy boy

If it is on a certificate you need to pay an £80 transfer fee to the car.
I think if you have a number on a car, you can put it on a certificate (ie retention) for £25. Then pay the transfer fee on when you have a car to put it on.

A certificate lasts 12m, if it runs out you can lose the number or pay a £25 fee to renew the certifcate. So make sure if you buy on a certificate that the number is still valid and the cert is in date. If not, you may lose it!

If it is on a certificate you need to pay an £80 transfer fee to the car.
I think if you have a number on a car, you can put it on a certificate (ie retention) for £25. Then pay the transfer fee on when you have a car to put it on.

A certificate lasts 12m, if it runs out you can lose the number or pay a £25 fee to renew the certifcate. So make sure if you buy on a certificate that the number is still valid and the cert is in date. If not, you may lose it!
Im looking to buy it off some one who has it on retention,would i need to pay the £80 so i would be the registered legal owner of the plate?

Once its on retention isnt the transfer fee already paid?It was when i did mine.

can anyone clear this up for me?the plate is on retention?do i have to be the registered owner of it for it to go on my car,or can the legal owner of it at present assign it to my vehicle?or do i need to pay £25 to get the certificate on my name?any help much appreciated please

How do I add or change the nominee details on my certificate of entitlement (V750)?

• <LI class=answered>Simply add the nominee details to section 1 of the certificate and sign (purchaser only) section 2. You should send your application to DVLA Personalised Registrations, SV2, Swansea, SA99 1DN together with a cheque made payable to DVLA for £25.
  • Click here to view a V750 certificate

It costs around £105 to put a plate on retention which includes re-assignment fee to another vehicle. I must of done it about 5 times as i change my car like my underwear! lol. Really easy process. You should ask the guy selling how he put the plate on retention (im damn certain theres only one process and 1 fee) so hell either charge you something for taking it off retention or it will be included in the sale price!

As for your plate on now, it would be technically owned by the dvla after putting a private reg on unless you put yours on retention... ie, if you bought this plate and decided in a few months to take it off and sell it, the dvla could reassign you with a completely differet number (in my case it was the same plate) Hope this helps (and makes sense lol )