fitting hid kit

yendall24

Reaction score
hi i was wondering if anyone had fitted an hid kit to there car and could recomend a good kit and if they are worth the trouble ease of fitting and such like any info would be appreciated my car is an a4 avant x reg 2001

I have one, I cannot remember which make.
they are a doddle to fit if you get a decent kit.
mine plugged into the original lighting harness and ran a fused power supply to the battery for the ballasts

mine is pre-facelift so main and full beams in one bulb

i got from ebay a kit had to cut a hole in the bulb covers on the head lamp and my biggest problem is now my osd keeps beeping to tell me my bulb has blown because i have 1 wiring loom with nothing attched to it!!!!!!1 any suggestions on how to by pass this would be great im sick to death of everytime i switch headlghts on or flash somone i get the osd come up and BEEP BEEP!!!!!!! Apart from that i ot the 4200k kit and very good quality light and look so much better than the old yellow h4 bulbs. I do have a yellow tinge though from sidelights but i cnat find anywhere that sells the bayonet cap with off set pins in a blue/white colour

Mine are OEM RS4, so can't really recommend any aftermarket kits.

I'm going to be buying a 4300k kit for my main beams though.

i got from ebay a kit had to cut a hole in the bulb covers on the head lamp and my biggest problem is now my osd keeps beeping to tell me my bulb has blown because i have 1 wiring loom with nothing attched to it!!!!!!1 any suggestions on how to by pass this would be great im sick to death of everytime i switch headlghts on or flash somone i get the osd come up and BEEP BEEP!!!!!!! Apart from that i ot the 4200k kit and very good quality light and look so much better than the old yellow h4 bulbs. I do have a yellow tinge though from sidelights but i cnat find anywhere that sells the bayonet cap with off set pins in a blue/white colour

Neither of my kits did this. I have noticed some kits say that they are compatible with the audi light warning system.

Fitted my kit no problem just the hole to cut. Bought my kit from uk dealer but was just the same as some of the hong kong ones on ebay.
Passed mot no problem. just used the existing bulb connectors to power didnt run a power cable to battery. Been on for almost a year no probs.

Been thinking of putting a set in the front fogs? are they H7 how do you change them?

HID's in foglamps is a waste of time.

The reflected white glare from HID foglamps would dazzle you, you wouldn't be able to see a thing with them in dense fog!

I've got a set of the cheapo ones off eBay (£35 delivered from Hong Kong) and as far as I can tell, they are *****. Takes about 30 seconds for the lights to reach their max brightness(as opposed to about 5 seconds on my OEM xenons), and they just don't really seem that bright.

i read somewhere that to be road legal in the uk xenons need to have auto levelling and headlamp washer system fitted, anyone know if this is true?

i read somewhere that to be road legal in the uk xenons need to have auto levelling and headlamp washer system fitted, anyone know if this is true?

It's very true, though in actual fact, it's seldom enforced come MOT time.

For all you aftermarket HID installers, I'll soon be offering a plug-and-play automatic levelling kit, that will replace the manual thumbwheel on your dash, so means your beams will move with your suspension.

Have also developed an automatic headlamp unit, as fitted on a lot of current new cars. This of course, is light sensitive, and will switch on your dipped beams, as well as your sides and tails as darkness falls.

Watch out for more items, website will be launched in the next fortnight.

Ooooh Siena, sounds good!!!

I already have them as standard on my S3, but in response to an earlier thread, it is compulsary that Xenons have washers and need to be auto levelling.

Update on the Depo lights I have fitted along with a cheapo 35W HID kit. Had another quick go at adjusting them by eye tonight when I was forced to drive in the dark. Beam pattern is actually not as bad as I thought and the bulbs do seem to be ok.

I'll try and get them properly set up at my mate's MOT place next week and see what they are like before giving a proper report.