Anyone have photo's of rear door sunblinds

technics100

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting rear door sunblinds for my avant. Does anyone have any photos of them installed? I understand that you have to drill into the door cards to fit them. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

I did this to mine awhile ago, I bought them from Vagparts and think they look very impressive. You do need to drill the top of the door card, which is a bit nervewracking, but ok if you take the time to do it properely. And the little tabs that push down into the door card prior to the blind being fitted are very very tight - but with care they will go. Let me know if you need any more help.

Blinds001.jpg

Blinds002.jpg

Blinds004.jpg

Blinds005.jpg

Blinds006.jpg

Blinds009.jpg

Blinds010.jpg

Blinds012.jpg

cheers, couldn't of asked for a better write up or more pics...
One question, what are the white strips attached to the blind itself?

cheers

Because the blinds are of quite a soft material the strips are there to stop them flopping over where they are unsupported. They look quite prominent in the pictures, but in reality they are not that noticeable. I'm sure you won't regret doing it, I think they are quite unusual, I have never seen another A4 with them fitted.

I have those blinds in my Avant.......really good.....at least you can open the electric windows without damaging the door cards/window motor....unlike cheapo stick on window blinds....

Fitted them myself.....measured the holes to be drilled about 10 times before drilling :)

Isn't it possible to retro-fit the factory ones?

They're much neater as they're integrated into the door card. I would have thought it was just a different capping for the cards.

Isn't it possible to retro-fit the factory ones?

They're much neater as they're integrated into the door card. I would have thought it was just a different capping for the cards.

To the best of my knowledge these are the factory fit ones? Unless you know something I don't ...?

Fitted them myself.....measured the holes to be drilled about 10 times before drilling :)

Lol me too, at least 10 times!

Factory fit blinds sit totally flush with the top of the door card.

You could retro-fit them I guess but as you'd have to fit a entire new door card to each rear door I dread to think how much it would cost!

You could retro-fit them I guess but as you'd have to fit a entire new door card to each rear door I dread to think how much it would cost!

OK cool I didn't know that, I've never seen any. Not worth trying to retrofit them IMO, I keep my blinds up all the time and that hides the majority of the frame. They look good I think.

Here's some pictures of mine

104_0424.jpg

104_0425.jpg

I believe it's just the door capping that's different and the lower door card is the same. Not sure how common the option is but you could always try a breakers. Personally I think it looks much neater.

Ordering from the factory also gave me the rear electric blind which was very handy when the kids were in rear facing seats.

They look very nice and I am not at all jealous! I agree they look neater, but I reckon would be pretty hard to source second hand, I've never seen another car with them fitted.

I've got the inetgral blinds like macduff :)

They are pretty rare - glad I spec'd them when I got my Avant - have been great with the kids and also makes it harder for prying eyes to see into the rear.

The retro fit ones look good though so still a great addition

I very nearly bought a car with the factory fitted blinds....thought they were ace! although you do loose the credit card holder next to the dash mounted cupholder if i remember correctly...

although you do loose the credit card holder next to the dash mounted cupholder if i remember correctly...

I think that disappeared when the passenger air bag off light was introduced. As my A4 has no blinds nor the tray next to the cup holder.

although you do loose the credit card holder next to the dash mounted cupholder if i remember correctly...

What a weird combination to loose if this info is correct! Ive got factory fitted rear blinds and also the useless card holder thing that Ive never used for anything yet!

Get the back windows tinted 35% to Limo Black - works well, about £175 up here, no blinds to worry about or break, and they look naff anyway (imho)

Get the back windows tinted 35% to Limo Black - works well, about £175 up here, no blinds to worry about or break, and they look naff anyway (imho)

Fair point, but I personally think cars look a bit daft with the rear windows tinted darker than the fronts, not as bad in an Avant as a Saloon.

yeah tint the front and back, 35% front, limo black rear, looks the same from the outside but much clearer vision from the drivers point of view at night.

Blinds seem like finicky chintz curtains in an old ladies parlour lol

Blinds seem like finicky chintz curtains in an old ladies parlour lol

LMAO - that's too funny evilscotsman.

Tints IMHO are far better than blinds. They are more effective at reducing UV and heat than blinds. My currrent A4 cab isn't tinted, but my old A4 Avant had legal minimum on fronts with a shade lighter than full limo black on the rears. The reason for this was that my missus (at the time - since been fired and replaced) reckoned as it was a black car, having limo tints on the rear made it look too 'hearse-y' LOL! I regularly carried a lot of equipment at the time and the privacy glass prevented prying eyes from seeing the contents. I paid extra to have thatcham approved film fitted that strengthened the glass and made it harder to break in.

It's a shame that window tinting is still aligned with a cheapening of cars rather than something that enhances their lines. Strange when many manufacturers show complete window tinting on many promotional photographs of their vehicles to enhance the visual appearance of their new models. It is increasingly available as a manufacturers option to have privacy glass fitted from new, I guess a time will come when tinting isn't considered only suitable for the Nova and 'scort drivers of Essex...

For all the aggro of trying to fit after-market blinds, on balance a decent set of tints would be a reasonable investment and IMHO definitely enhance the aesthetics of the car as well as offering 24/7 security solution.

It's a shame that window tinting is still aligned with a cheapening of cars rather than something that enhances their lines. Strange when many manufacturers show complete window tinting on many promotional photographs of their vehicles to enhance the visual appearance of their new models. It is increasingly available as a manufacturers option to have privacy glass fitted from new, I guess a time will come when tinting isn't considered only suitable for the Nova and 'scort drivers of Essex...

Tints don't necessarily 'cheapen' a car but do give it a more overtly modified look than many other modifications. This combined with the fact that blinds can be lowered to allow light into the cabin are the reason I chose them. I think generally people would specify blinds or tints for quite different reasons? Personally i chose them to keep the sun off my daughter, and exterior look and security weren't a concern.

James, sorry mate - wasnt having a go at your reasoning personally, I just hate the ****** things. Obviously if you just want to keep the sun off the sprogs then sure both methods work fine.

We just think blinds are - well - a bit pipe-and-slippers, and you should really get a nice set of cushions for the back window. while you savour a puff of old ready-rolled shag :haha: LOL