shark fin antenna retrofit (need help pleaz!)

Sl@T3R

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just realy need your help as trying to retrofit shark fin antenna on my A3 after putting RNS-E :

Can anyone who have original shark fin on the roof calculate the distance between the end of te roof and the exterrnal bord of the shark fin ? I think there is approx. 20 cm but not sure ...

If there are people here who are interested by this retrofit, I can create a topic with pictures of the job, just tell me ;-)

Many many thanks for your help :sm4:

Why not just use a GPS antenna that you can fit above the glove box(inside the dash) no need to cut drill the roof and try and fit all the cabling.

My GPS antanna is behind the dash on top of the glove box, picks up anything between 4-8 satalites and never had a problem or loss of navigation.

Hi all,

Just realy need your help as trying to retrofit shark fin antenna on my A3 after putting RNS-E :

Can anyone who have original shark fin on the roof calculate the distance between the end of te roof and the exterrnal bord of the shark fin ? I think there is approx. 20 cm but not sure ...

If there are people here who are interested by this retrofit, I can create a topic with pictures of the job, just tell me ;-)

Many many thanks for your help :sm4:

I did this, its 113mm from rear of sharkfin to lip of end of roof, I drilled pilot hole, dremeled a square out of roof, then filed down the edges, coated the edges in rustproof liquid, left to dry then did again about 5 times to be sure, got some black sealant & stuck on base of the antenna then fixed the antenna to the roof, tested for leaks with watering can next day when sealant dried out & voila fed threw the roof to front down passenger side & upto rns, easy peasy, wouldnt know wasnt oem installed, I of course used a genuine audi oem sharkfin not crappy one which had phone & gps

You'll have to drop the roof lining to fit it. It's a lot of work.

Not at all fella, remove the rear clips so the roof lining drops slightly enough to get hands in to work then just feed a piece of trunking lid or thin piece of metal with smooth end through to front & I have a sunroof aswell, so I managed fine, just take time & work carefully & will easily feed through, I did remove the grab handle to get the other end through but works 100%, no damage & everything back as was before

I did this, its 113mm from rear of sharkfin to lip of end of roof, I drilled pilot hole, dremeled a square out of roof, then filed down the edges, coated the edges in rustproof liquid, left to dry then did again about 5 times to be sure, got some black sealant & stuck on base of the antenna then fixed the antenna to the roof, tested for leaks with watering can next day when sealant dried out & voila fed threw the roof to front down passenger side & upto rns, easy peasy, wouldnt know wasnt oem installed, I of course used a genuine audi oem sharkfin not crappy one which had phone & gps

never noticed you had one fitted! Have you a better pic just out of interest.

I Drilled a hole in my old MKII Golf to fit the roof aerial, its not too hard, just measure several times LOL. I covered the area with electrical tape and then the rest of the roof with newspaper to catch filings.

PM with email address & will email a pic I have from rear & if can find from sides, looks perfect, no difference from factory at all.

i fitted an RNS-E yesterday but havent got round to sortin the antenna out yet! I have a shark fin fitted already to my s3 does this mean i can connect my RNS-e to this for a gps signal?

well there are number of different sharkfin versions, of which have a mix of, gps, auxillary heating signal, telephone, cant be sure what yours is without checking your vin with audi, just ring parts, quote vin, ask them the part number for the sharkfin antenna as will show only yours installed then we can determine if is ok to use, I suspect its gps enabled TBH as auxillary heater not many opt for, does yours have telephone?

If you had nav before the rns install then I would say its a gps sharkfin then fella.

Radio antenna is in rear window so not this, I doubt you have remote aux heater & bluetooth of course didnt use sharkfin, so can only be one thing I think.

no had a symphony 2 before the rnse , i will ring the stealers tomoz and see what they have to say or not!!lol

Many thanks to you all for feedback :yes:

I prefer this oem style with rns-e, and if I have to sold my car, I can have a better price with those options added (no need to say that it was retrofited)

I'll take pics of the job, it could be usefull for someone :sm4:

Many thanks to you all for feedback :yes:

I prefer this oem style with rns-e, and if I have to sold my car, I can have a better price with those options added (no need to say that it was retrofited)

I'll take pics of the job, it could be usefull for someone :sm4:

You'll find that you would be better off removing the RNS-e and selling it on its own when you change your car. You'll get more for it that way than by leaving it in the car.

Fitting the sharkfin would then result in questions about what happenned to the nav unit.

rang Audi today to be told mine has the wiring from the shark fin to use on the rnse but cannot find the lead behind the rnse,anybody know where it will be hidden or why i cannot find it behind the rnse? I think the part number of the shark fin is 8p0 035 503 L

Well I would remove the rear upper trim & see if the tail end is just hidden up in there, I bought 2 extension leads for mine to send down the front, simple trace it out & you'll find it, just take time to remove trims, bull in china shop = new parts, lol, done few times, eventually learnt.

If its trailing in roof then I'm sure I can find link to seller of extension leads for you as I did.

the wires from the shark fin seem to come out of the fin and go in to the rear pillar some where dont no where they go to then.

Follow the cable fella, they probably go down to one side of the car which is where the antenna amplifiers are I think , so probably need to remove the side trim to check, comes of easily, push back seats forward & gently pull the side trim outwards as its clipped in with metal tension clips, think on passenger side then should see the cable, think it maybe stops there

ok traced the wire back to the amplifier,it then comes back out of the amplifier one lead that shows a pic of a telephone and one lead that shows an aerial signal,should there be a third or is the one that shows a pic of an aerial the antenna for the rnse??

sorry edit the aerial goes in then a telephone one comes out and also a clip that has 3 wires, a red a brown and a white. The 3 coloured wires and the phone wire all go towards the front of the car?

Ok but how many cables are coming from the sharkfin itself?

Is there a part number for the amp aswell

The L version sharkfin is for telephone & navigation so can come of one of those.

just one i think,its all wrapped up but when i squeeze it feels like one chunky cable.

Got the standard antenna wired in now over the top of the glove box.Alls working cool

So did you have the wiring there from your standard sharkfin? I'm thinking of doing the RNS-E upgrade soon from Symphony 2 and I also have phone prep on the dash so have a sharkfin fitted. From what I've read previously, I've assumed that the GPS lead won't be there and I'll need a new sharkfin, but if you had the gps despite no SatNAv then that gives me hope :)

I doub't the GPS wire is there when no RNSe is fitted from the factory. Well that was the case on my car. You may be lucky!!

No he didnt have the gps sharkfin, we were going through it last night over the phone & through etka, he's just got the telephone sharkfin, you dont need to change, when you buy the rns you will probably get the magnetic one you can site under the dash somewhere & works very well no problem at all.

when you buy the rns you will probably get the magnetic one you can site under the dash somewhere & works very well no problem at all.

Indeed no problems on mine and it's on top of the glovebox.