how to get the turbo to spool quicker?

mattm

BLACK EDITION
Reaction score
So im on KO3, remap, forge 007p and FMIC. Great power (all be it ko3!!) but it spools up way too slow for my liking (around 3-3200 rpm). My mrs. MK5 GTI spools up at 1000rpm for god sake!

Any ideas? cheers lads

a ko3 spooling up at 3000rpm is not good at all....

a standard ko3 should start spooling up at around 1800-2000rpm. My ko3S can make a good 14psi of boost by 2400rpm.

Is your FMIC stuipdly big? if it's got a HUGE volume then that's going to slow down the spooling big time.

What downpipe are you running? I found fitting a milltek 2.5'' downpipe and sports cat to my ko3S made a HUGE difference. the spool up is almost instant now, foot down and it boosts straight away, no waiting for it to climb.

hmmmm interesting. The fmic isnt too big, but i understand there may be lag due to more piping etc. Before it was pretty much the same, around 3000rpm.

When I meant spool, it probably does start at 2000 but I can only feel the boost around 3000rpm if you know what i mean.

Standard downpipe mate, just cat-back exhaust.

Interesting. My ko3s starts pulling hard at about 2500rpm, making 290lbft at 3500rpm, so that's the real shove.

Have you had the car on the rolling road? if so, post up a pic of the torque curve. As torque and boost are so proportional in turbo cars, you can often see what's happening from looking at the graph.

Heres mine:

225bhp290lbftyj1.jpg

cheers

i need to get it on the RR and see. i think the fmic will be lagging it. definatly need a ko3s too.

Get a fuel injector into the turbine housing, that'll make it spool a bit quicker.
Maybe also check the wastegate operation.

ko3S is a great mod.

Get the boost nice and high, and you get a seriously large wedge of torque!

290lbft is a good figure even for a ko4 car, and in the fwd A3 it does pull very well

How do you check the wastegate operation then??.

bypass the N75 valve and join the two hoses, so you have a direct line from the charge pipe to the actuator.

Hook up a boost guage and go for a drive, then see what boost the actuator opens at....

stock on a ko3/ko3S is around 6 psi