It's coming!!! and USB and RNS-E questions

WolvesPhil

Reaction score
After ordering my A3 back in Sept I was told that I wouldnt see it this side of xmas and more likely be in Feb so I told the dealer I would hold off until the 09 plate. Got a call on Friday to say that the car had been built and will be with them in 10 - 14 days if I wanted or I can still wait for the 09 as originally requested.

Well I didnt fancy waiting another 4 months so the car is now on its way! Took me by surprise as still have my old car to try and sell or there is still the option to give to Audi to knock some £££'s of my new one!

I also have a question regarding the USB Interface, is there a max size of device that can be attached to it? I have heard 4GB due to drive limitations but wanted to double check this. Also is it true that the drive doesnt display what is playing like the stereo does?

Regarding the RNS-E I have been thinking about adding one of these as I didnt spec it initially and that is the only thing I would like that I dont have in it. Would a retrofit be worth considering at the dealers?

RNS retrofit definitely as dealers charge 2k you can fit for usually 6-700 with parts, just make sure the unit supplied is double din anyway so saves more money fella, I'd suggest a BNS unit as this then I think have the same antenna system so no errors when connected up.

Is it possible to retrofit the USB interface?

And does anyone know the size limit yet?

I mean the standard stuff available on new A3s John. The Kufatec uses the CD changer so I would assume you need to make playlists like on iPod, is that right?

I would hope you can use more than 4GB on them though, have you not tried more mister.c.?

I would hope you can use more than 4GB on them though, have you not tried more mister.c.?

Naah - I got 3* 4GB sticks from My Memory for about £14 a bit back & I find one of these is more than sufficient for my A3 musical needs. More than enough tunes for me.

Off the top of my head then I imagine my songs average about 10 meg each, so I understand I couldn't fill a 8GB stick anyway as the maximum number of tracks you can include is 99 in each of the 6 folders.

Naah - I got 3* 4GB sticks from My Memory for about £14 a bit back & I find one of these is more than sufficient for my A3 musical needs. More than enough tunes for me.

Off the top of my head then I imagine my songs average about 10 meg each, so I understand I couldn't fill a 8GB stick anyway as the maximum number of tracks you can include is 99 in each of the 6 folders.

Ah so it is the same priciple as the iPod then. Nevermind.

Have got 8GB stick and this works as well.

The manual actually recommends a range of 256MB and 512MB sticks though.

Only issue is with more than 99 tracks, then track 100 will be displayed as track 1, 101 as track 2 etc.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum having just picked up my new A3 yesterday (1.8TFSI), so thought I'd jump straight in with a question!

I've had a quick search of the forum and can't find an answer to what I want to ask so thought I'd resurrect this old thread since the OP asks what I want to know:

Also is it true that the drive doesn't display what is playing like the stereo does?

If I use a CD with MP3 files in the CD player it works great displaying Artist, Album and Track names. However with my USB memory stick (4GB Sandisk) it just lists all the tracks as numbers. I created six folders in the root of the stick (one for each CD) and in each of these as folders for Artist then, again, each of these has folders for each album, as suggested in the handbook. The handbook implies the player will list all the track details but this isn't so, each of the top 6 folders displays as a CD (as expected) and each CD, when selected, just groups all the tracks in the subsequent sub-folders together numbering them as track 1 up to 99.

Basically, is there a way to get album/artist/track info on the display?

Cheers

Bob

I'll try and help but, at the moment I only have an RNS510 unit for a VW. However, I think the principle should be the same.

Firstly I would was SD cards are you using? If you're using SDHC they wont work as per the manual.

Secondly structure the folders as follows

Music (VW manual says create this as the first folder)
Artist
Album
Then tracks within each album

I think all you need to do is create Music folder and then drop everything you have created into it.

Also where are your music files from? If from iTunes I think you need to ensure you are using mp3 as the file format.

Try the above and let me know how you get on.

my understaind of this is the headunit IS able to read CD text info (ie track name, etc) but is NOT able to read the mp3 ID3 tag (which contains info for mp3 file in regards to track name, artist). maybe the latest version headunits will be able to do it but certainly older ones are not. If you create a mp3 cd, does it display the track info?

Firstly I would was SD cards are you using? If you're using SDHC they wont work as per the manual.

Secondly structure the folders as follows

Artist
Album

I think all you need to do is create Music folder and then drop everything you have created into it.

Hi,

Sorry, I should have been clearer in the post, it is a USB Memory Stick, but the principle is the same. I'm fairly sure if I just created a Music folder with everything else below it it will just appear as CD 1 with all the tracks in the folder lumped together and title 1 to 99. I'll try what you suggest, though, tomorrow and let you know.

Cheers

Bob

my understaind of this is the headunit IS able to read CD text info (ie track name, etc) but is NOT able to read the mp3 ID3 tag (which contains info for mp3 file in regards to track name, artist). maybe the latest version headunits will be able to do it but certainly older ones are not. If you create a mp3 cd, does it display the track info?

Hi,

Yes I created an MP3 CD and all info, album, artist, track etc is shown.

Cheers

Bob

Artist
Album

Well I got to try this today and, unfortunately, it didn't work, the system saw the whole memory stick a CD1 of a 6 CD multichanger and all the music files in the sub folders where just listed as tracks 1 to 99.

Basically the system sees the memory stick as a 6 CD Multichanger, each folder in the root of the memory stick is seen as a CD, so basically you need 6 folders here. The manual then suggests putting folders in each of these 'root' folder by Artist then Album Name, with track in each album folder. The system then sees each 'root' folder as a single CD and all the tracks in the subsequent folders are grouped together as 1 to 99.

What I don't understand is if a CD, with MP3 files (organised in folders by Artist and album) is inserted in the CD Player the system shows all the album/artist/track info as expected. So why then can't the system do the same with a memory stick that it thinks is a 6 CD multichanger :uhm:

Bob

Since you are buying a new car, check if you can install the new AMI Audi music interface. It is more advanced than the USB and can read tracks as well.

Since you are buying a new car, check if you can install the new AMI Audi music interface. It is more advanced than the USB and can read tracks as well.

Too late for me I'm afraid, I already have the car, picked it up on Saturday. I don't remember the AMI being an option when I ordered the car, shame I'd have probably gone fo it :rolleyes:

Bob

If its a 2009 car AMI wasnt on the options list. 2010 it is.
Forgive me but, why arent you using the SD card slots?

If its a 2009 car AMI wasnt on the options list. 2010 it is.
Forgive me but, why arent you using the SD card slots?

It's a 2010 car, ordered 10 weeks ago, and arrived from the factory last week. I wasn't aware that SD card slots were available, the choices offered were USB stick, CD multichanger or Ipod interface.

Bob

MY10 production was introduced from week 22 build onwards (ie. starting last Monday 25 May).

So if your car was delivered from the factory last week, it was probably built the week starting 18 May and is one of the last of the MY09 builds.

:laugh:
I'm going senile before my time and forgetting what year we are in! Of course, what I meant to say is it is a 2009 car, I didn't realise the 2010 model would be released so soon, In the motorcycle world the following years bikes are normally released from about September/October onwards. I should have started looking into these forums earlier so I'd be more up to date with what is going on. :rolleyes:

I thought my wait of 10 weeks from ordering was rather long compared to what I've had to had to wait in the past from Audi, but when I went to pick up the vehicle on Saturday the salemen mentioned that orders placed now were not being delivered until October, maybe that is because it is the new model :uhm:

Yeah I must admit the MY10 changeover started much earlier than I thought it would too.

Our GTI is an August 06 build and is an MY07 spec. I thought that was early, haha.