Laser Eye Correction

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls

Anyone on AS/family/friends had laser eye correction, who'd you use, cost, before & after effects any bad things & overall feeling with the procedure, plus would you recommend.

Another thing is if you had done at Optical Express then you'd do me a favour by allowing me to quote your name so I get discount please, only £50 on 3k but its something huh.

Thats not reason for thread I just want some feedback from anyone thats done or family members, friends etc.

My other half had it done a year ago. She was -4 in both eyes with an astigmatism in one as well. Apart from it being a very wierd experience (she's a total girly girl), she's had absolutely no downside or side effects at all. Highly recommended.
Can't remember who she used though, but it was one of the main ones with their fictitious "from only £395 per eye". This only applies to people who don't actually need it and anyone with real short sightedness it is, as you say, £3k for the pair.

Cheers Andy, yeah there £395 per eye is a joke tbh, I even called one of them I saw yesterday & said ok 3k is a tad much, I have 2.5k & they wouldnt give me even a pound discount can you believe it, so I said see yerrrrrr

I assume she doesnt wear glasses anymore at all & no further deterioration in her sight since the laser done as I have minor change but the astigmatiscm is my issue with glare & halo effect at night & during day on bright objects or dark on bright backgrounds & vice versa

I has my eyes laser corrected 6 years ago, dont regret it one bit, had no problems, had them corrected in the morning and drove that night (very carefully as had a few halo's around street lights - dont get that now unless I'm very tired and been staring at a screen for too long )! Dont need glasses or anything, and have not deteriated - Both my eyes where less than -3 so it cost me just over £1K. It does not hurt but its a bit of an odd experiance.

Richard

I'd love to have it done but I'm too much of a pussy. SWMBO and also my best mate have had it done and I went to Ultralase in Guildford with both of them.

Both said it was amazing with almost instant improvement in sight.

There is a guy on Briskoda who is a laser correction surgeon Nigel, as you are a member you could drop him a PM. There's also quite an informative thread over there where he's answered lots of questions.

I assume she doesnt wear glasses anymore at all & no further deterioration in her sight since the laser done as I have minor change but the astigmatiscm is my issue with glare & halo effect at night & during day on bright objects or dark on bright backgrounds & vice versa

No glasses and no deterioration. She had exactly the same issue as you with glare/halo driving at night even though she had a torric contact lens for the astigmatism, but now nothing but perfect vision.

I has my eyes laser corrected 6 years ago, dont regret it one bit, had no problems, had them corrected in the morning and drove that night (very carefully as had a few halo's around street lights - dont get that now unless I'm very tired and been staring at a screen for too long )! Dont need glasses or anything, and have not deteriated - Both my eyes where less than -3 so it cost me just over £1K. It does not hurt but its a bit of an odd experiance.

Richard

Sorry who did you use fella & I cant believe you got for 1k, which treatment did you have cause I dont think wavefront intralasik was around then was it?

I'd love to have it done but I'm too much of a pussy. SWMBO and also my best mate have had it done and I went to Ultralase in Guildford with both of them.

Both said it was amazing with almost instant improvement in sight.

There is a guy on Briskoda who is a laser correction surgeon Nigel, as you are a member you could drop him a PM. There's also quite an informative thread over there where he's answered lots of questions.

This is very helpful as usual from Stu, thanks I've got to get my **** back on there anyway so definitely be asking him & dont worry havnt forgotten your request for our friend Elsa

No glasses and no deterioration. She had exactly the same issue as you with glare/halo driving at night even though she had a torric contact lens for the astigmatism, but now nothing but perfect vision.

Thanks The Mac again, also as usual very helpful & informative posts with usually facts not fiction

I still cant believe with I would say not many walking in with 2.5k they wouldnt even give me a small discount.

You could always pop over to South Africa and have it done. It'll cost you less including the flights and a 2 week holiday while your there. I had it done in Johannesburg 8 years ago and it cost me about £500. I was -6.25 and -6.75 with astigmatism. I got to 0.00 in my right eye, and -0.15 in my left eye. I've had my eyes tested once a year since then, and I've now been prescribed glasses for night driving. Bear in mind that the procedure won't halt the natural degeneration of your sight with age, so there will come a point when you will need glasses again. It's the best thing I've ever had done, and Lasik was still a fairly new procedure then.

I lived in SA for a year 8 years ago, 8 years ago it would of been that cost fella, but today its alot more so overall after the flights cost & hotel etc plus car rental it wont be shy of this or infact more, but also I've experienced there medical stuff, they are very good admittedly but they do like to jump in with all fours rather than test things initially, so I'll pass thanks, but I do have a reason to return, my record box is still ****** there, lol & my ex is giving birth in 6 weeks, do you think she'd be glad to see me, lol, lol

NHN to answer your question it was with Optimax in Manchester - and no its wasnt the wavefront intralasik - it was the lasik. Price reflects this as did the fact I had it done in Dec - which is a traditional quite time for them (obviously).

Richard

Ah ok just checking it out now, did they quote you a price then you asked them for a discount?

Interesting thread this. I've considered getting it done myself as I've always wanted to work for the fire brigade but you have to have natural 20/20 vision apparently. I've always wondered; how would they know and if it's true?! Friends of mine that have had it done say it's uncomfortable but, pardon the pun, haven't looked back :)

Ive also wondered about this but sight is a thing I dont think I want to risk no matter how low the odds are. Ive tried glasses but get headaches with them, maybe when I reach 40 or 50 ill look into it

Trouble is at 50+ short sightedness turns into long sightedness so the oprocedure becomes less fullproof as you'll probably need reading glasses by then anyway. 35 is about the right age as your sight usually doesn't degrade noticeably after that. I've been on the same prescription (-4 & -4.25) for around 10 years now.

its those damn small wires we look at day in day out andy, plus damn pc's staring at for hours on end, which reminds me I have to go wire the car & reinstall the pc, joyyyyy

missus had them done this year by optimax in manchester for £3500 says it was the best thing shes ever done!

plus shes had the gastric bypass and now waiting plastics lol

lol, glad you've got sense of humour, lol, thought was a good comeback, lmao

I had mine done 2 years ago by ultralase at chelmsford, i was -3.50 in both eyes, had the wavefront lasik( the most expensive one!!) at £3k... best £3k i've ever spent, i paid it interest free over 3yrs.
Night vision (bright lights etc)takes a while to settle, but the results are instant, although the procedure is a little uncomfortable..

I've had my eyes tested once a year since then, and I've now been prescribed glasses for night driving. Bear in mind that the procedure won't halt the natural degeneration of your sight with age, so there will come a point when you will need glasses again. It's the best thing I've ever had done, and Lasik was still a fairly new procedure then.

Actually had a free consultation for this this morning, with optical express,
been offer all the prices, im only short sighted, -1.25 -1.20
395 an eye, or 695 an eye, or the more exspensive if i want wavefront or what ever.

my gf's tellin me to go to her country, and pay for proceedure, say its V good, and cheaper, ( lithuania - dunno if id trust lol )

im currently fighting my thought to decided, its alot of money, and with some, if low risks, its still my eyesight, couldnt do with out it, lol :drag:.
and if i do it, would it be worth spending the lil bit more, :p aarrgghhh lol

Well to further add I cant have mine done as yet for 2 reasons, 1st is cause my eyelids are droopy so they're being done on the nhs as it affects my vision, 2nd is because I see the prices coming down now so I can wait a bit tbh, trying free contacts 1st then when prices are down more I will do as totally fedup with glasses even if my prescription is tiny, its the astigmatiscm that ****** me of, but everything in time I guess.

What was there actual price to you for the procedures so I can compare mine as I do soemtimes think they make these up based on what you look like etc

a word of caution.

Laser treament is often used to correct short-sightedness or myopia.

works very well and is well recommended.

however, from the age of about 40 onwards, there is a good chance you will go long-sighted (happens to most of us).

This will naturally offset or (at least partially) correct your short-sightedness. however, if youve just spent money on laser treatment, the long-sightedness will negate the benefits of the treatment.

My word of advice is only to think twice if youre rapidly apporaching 40ish as you might not be getting value for money.

Otherwise, go fit it!

had this doen about 7 years ago now, for astigmatism. Can't remember how bad it was, but did it with Optimax in London on a Buy One Get One Free deal lol! Was the cheaper option as didn't need to cut the flap.

Been great, don't need glasses at all, although am well aware this will change as I get older. Best money I spent! about £700 or something like that...

Word of caution, ensure you continue to use eyedrops afterwards to keep them moist until they're healed fully. I went on the lash, forgot to put them in before I went to bed, and woke up with my eyelid stuck to my eye, opened it and pulled off a layer of cells...ouch. No permanent damage but looked a right nob at work with a gammy eye...(just after I'd been praising the procedure..):blush:

NHN - funny reading about this - never really come in the general area, but as Mitch has just gone through it I though i'd share incase you were still looking!
It's a good review, and I can't say it's up my street, but you maybe able to get a referral from him and get the discount you were after in the OP

J

http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showpost.php?p=8792&postcount=20