Tyre Pressure Warning Light

Dave1000

Reaction score
I didnt spec this on my new S3 is it just a light that comes up if the tyre pressure drops does it actually tell you what wheel it is just curious really

well I just modded my car with this system, so I will be letting my tyre down & seeing what it tells me, so I'll report back as soon as I know, but from the emanuelle it just says it lights up when it detects the abs circumference is less on one wheel so its not like the full on system that the a6/a8 & maybe new a4 has with sensors in each wheel & reports back to a control module which then indicates oin the mmi system display, 8p has a basic version which still works just not as flashy, personally a dis notification would have been nice tbh as it can detect per wheel.

Yeah I had it as standard on both my previous Octaiva vRS and wouldn't spec it as an option myself.

The one time mine went off I'd already heard the air pi$$ing out of the tyre.

Mine didn't even light up when I let the tyre down!

Assuming you drove it when it went down aswell ye, have to ask as some people can be kinda tim nice but dim waiting for the tpms to go of standing still on these, as its based on abs detection of wheel turns it isnt gonna show anything when stationary, I doubt you're one of these people Jammy

amazing huh, factory prices are so much & to do afterwards is double or more, I understand as looms are fitted as per options, but the folding/dimming etc mirrors & auto lights/wipers option is like £400 all in factory but you buy them seperately even on new 09 facelift & the glass is still £250 each, so all in about 1-1.5k, slight difference from £400 factory huh, lol

Just reminded me to test the tpms, keep forgetting, lol

Assuming you drove it when it went down aswell ye, have to ask as some people can be kinda tim nice but dim waiting for the tpms to go of standing still on these, as its based on abs detection of wheel turns it isnt gonna show anything when stationary, I doubt you're one of these people Jammy

No mate I knew how it worked and drove about 200 miles on it, tyre looked a bit flat so checked and it was 28 psi so had lost 10 from when the pressures were set. Think its only got for totally flat tyres but chances are you will have noticed by the time the warning sounds.

For the money though its worth speccing.

Think its only got for totally flat tyres but chances are you will have noticed by the time the warning sounds.
Not quite, last time (the only time) mine went off I checked the wheel rotational speeds with vagcom and there was a .5 kp/h speed difference between the fronts and rears. I'd say that was quite sensitive.

For the money though its worth speccing.

Couldn't agree more.

Its cack IMO.

Ive just ruined my 2 front tyres because Ive been running them on low pressure.

Ok, Im a donk for not checking them as a matter of course, however if the pressure indicator doesnt tell you that the pressures are low, then whats the point in having it?
Its the very reason i havent been checking them manually.

Lesson learnt, dont rely on the pressure indicator, check them the old fashioned way and save your tyres.

Cheers
Paul

Yeah but Paul have you been resetting the system everytime you pumped tyres up, changed wheels, puncture etc, cause the system is based on what it reads when its reset, thats the only reason for the button, if you havnt ever reset the system from the get then its possible its still got the readings from the build date which is maybe why it didnt warn you, I dont know if you've changed the wheels or not but all these things have to be adhered to & its not a proper tyre pressure system IMHO, but a very basic version, wish we could have the sensor in each wheel version as shows actual pressures in each wheel, but the 8P one doesnt actually monitor the tyre pressures itself, but alas.

But does beg the question, surely if the tyres were that low you'd notice the ride difference to ruin 2 tyres I mean come on they would have to be fairly deflated to be completely fecked fella.

I dont think they were that low, just the length of time that they have been low that added up. Visually nowadays with low profile tyres its hard to tell if they are a few degrees under and if a tyre gradually goes down its maybe not so noticable in the handling?

yeah, the system is no way near as good as the one on the RS4 which uses senders in the valves (still only warns tho) but I specced it anyway, It came on once on the rs4 when i lost about 4 psi so that system works well.

yeah but honestly Khu for them to be ruined they would have to be seriously down on inflation & you would easily be able to notice difference in handling, the system is reliant on user input aswell unlike the full on a6/a8/q7 system which has a proper tyre pressure display & better ability to detect differences, I think some people think the 8P version is maybe auto & doesnt need any user input & no need for resetting system, it is a kop out system for the 8P from audi, but tbh its quite a cheap sensible way of including on the 8P chassis, I reckon next one will be full on as others are

so is the rs4 version same as the 8P & has a button for resetting system, where did it display the warning, in dis/rns or just the lamp on speedo?

Reason I ask is elsawin shows info o the 8P having a proper system with control module & sensors IIRC when I did some reading

Yeah but Paul have you been resetting the system everytime you pumped tyres up, changed wheels, puncture etc, cause the system is based on what it reads when its reset, thats the only reason for the button, if you havnt ever reset the system from the get then its possible its still got the readings from the build date which is maybe why it didnt warn you, I dont know if you've changed the wheels or not but all these things have to be adhered to & its not a proper tyre pressure system IMHO, but a very basic version, wish we could have the sensor in each wheel version as shows actual pressures in each wheel, but the 8P one doesnt actually monitor the tyre pressures itself, but alas.

But does beg the question, surely if the tyres were that low you'd notice the ride difference to ruin 2 tyres I mean come on they would have to be fairly deflated to be completely fecked fella.

Its only ever activated twice in 8 months or so.

Both times I filled the offending tyre and reset the button (held for a few sec until unlit).

iirc the AUDI tech reckons I was running around 30psi (ish) instead of 39psi, these are approximates as he was rounding up figures in `Bar`.

The car felt ok to drive, maybe the gradual and uniform decrease in pressure meant I just didnt notice:think:

Its all a bit embaressing (assuming this is the problem, fingers crossed) as this is the sort of thing I expect the wife to do.

Anyway, i still thing the indicator is a bit pants.
By the time the tyres are flat enough for them to acivate you are on the rims anyway, and even i would notice that.;)

cheers
Paul

lol, true we always blame the wife, reminds me of a lee evans sketch

yeah the lamp is very ***** tbh, could of done a dis indicator I mean it warns us in the dis for abs & pad warnings why not an icon for tyre warnings, have to say you cant see the lamp that well tbh its kinda pathetic

The RS4 system comes up in the DIS with a pc of a flat tyre!... and tells you which one too; it doesnt say the pressure in the dis tho.

ah really, now this is interesting then so maybe it can be fitted to the 8P from the B6/7 chassis, now you got me thinking, so does it have a button aswell to tell system its set at correct pressures?

ah really, now this is interesting then so maybe it can be fitted to the 8P from the B6/7 chassis, now you got me thinking, so does it have a button aswell to tell system its set at correct pressures?

I could here the cogs whirring up here in Sunny Scotland when The911sc said that . . . . :)

lol, you are damn right aswell, thats got me thinking now given same systems anyway, urm report back another day on that, lol, lol

iirc the AUDI tech reckons I was running around 30psi (ish) instead of 39psi, these are approximates as he was rounding up figures in `Bar`.

I do have to query this cause 39 is for the heaviest load isnt it as I checked mine & 39 was for 5 people & luggage, where as 37/34 is for 18's I think with minimum load 3 people & small luggage.

back from italy tomorrow so will follow up, its a case of seeing if the module will be recognised & programmed by the canbus on the 8P, so I'll 1st check part number than search ebay for a 2nd user one to test.