Faulty MAF

noelg100

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a multi cylinder miss fire through the EML and was fixed with a replacement MAF – no more miss fire fault codes.

I have noticed the hesitation that a lot of people have had and believe this is down to a faulty MAF (yes the new one that was replaced)

The boost spools up and around 3k RPM you can hear a lot of surging air but then a hesitation and almost a kangaroo affect. This happens mainly in 4th, 5th & 6th gears when you accelerate from low revs with anything above half throttle.

Today I have replaced the N75 valve and no difference. I remove the MAF connection and the car was fine, then connected it back and the hesitation came back.

I have also replaced the Lambda sensor as some engine diagnoses had various errors codes regarding this.

Simply removing the MAF from the induction system fixes the problem but I’m not sure if it is as simple as that. Does unplugging the MAF do anything else other than cutting out the MAF? I think the car runs on a default programme or something when unplugged? I just wanted to get some other people’s experiences before going back the garage as the brand new MAF should have a years warranty or at least the garage would have some obligation to fix it.

Thanks,
Adam

Sorry forgot that...

1.8t S3 2001 210BHP

AMK I think.