Fast de-misting

Matt

Reaction score
Theres been a few days recently where I've had a lot of condensation in the car when I 1st start it up in the morning when its been icy.

Never had it this bad before. When I had light condensation in the car last winter it cleared very quickly just by pressing the windscreen button. Is there any other button or way to get it to clear quicker? I thought the climate control would get rid of any moisture or is that only when its blowing out cold air e.g. air con?

******* me off as have to leave the car running for at least 5 mins before I go to work at the moment!

It should take only a minute or so to clear, but you should at least see the patches at the bottom of the screen start to clear within seconds.

Does your air con blow out cold air? Maybe it needs a service.

By the way, yes to remap! :o.k:

Everything works fine, hot or cold. And it does start to clear the bottom reasonably quick, just takes forever to clear the rest of the screen properly so I can drive! Thought the climate control might of dried the air out?

Does it always take forever or just when it's REALLY cold?

just when its really cold. like this morning.

So I just have to live with it then! Wish it had a heated front screen like my Mums Puma. Dead handy.

I the condensation in the car is bad then chances are you have a leak somewhere letting moisture in. Might be worth checking around the rear light clusters and spare wheel area for signs of damp.

I the condensation in the car is bad then chances are you have a leak somewhere letting moisture in. Might be worth checking around the rear light clusters and spare wheel area for signs of damp.

Do you clean your windscreen , inside? This is happening to my wifes golf, shes never run a cloth over it.

I use rain X Anti-fog on the inside, works quite well to be honest!

biggest problem with TDI's is they dont warm up very quick.

I never have any problems, but then mine always spends the night in a garage. When it has been parked outside in the cold, if I've been away from home, then I find it helps if the air-con is switched on, as this helps to dry the air coming into the car. I leave my air-con running all year and find I never have any problems with misting up, even with four people in the car.

Lee_r IS correct TDI's take longer to warm the Petrol versions, my A4 had a express heater add-on as standard and you pressed ECON to turn it off. Not sure if A3's have this???

I never have any problems, but then mine always spends the night in a garage. When it has been parked outside in the cold, if I've been away from home, then I find it helps if the air-con is switched on, as this helps to dry the air coming into the car. I leave my air-con running all year and find I never have any problems with misting up, even with four people in the car.

Wow you must have money to burn! keep that ECON button pressed on and see your MPG rise by 5-7mpg easy!

Wow you must have money to burn! keep that ECON button pressed on and see your MPG rise by 5-7mpg easy!

I've tried running with the ECON button pressed it on previous A3s and it makes very little difference. The only time the air-con really uses any power is when the compressor is being used to create cold air. On the front of the compressor is an electronically controlled clutch. This clutch only engages when the air-con system calls for cold air. The rest of the time the compressor is just another pulley and uses next to no power. This time of the year the compressor will hardly if ever be running to produce cold air.

Pressing the ECON button may well save some mpg in the Summer, but whats the point of having air-con if it does not cool the interior.

This has been argued before, and it's not just a simple switch system Dave. Audi's use a blend of hot and cold air to produce the desired temperature. So there are times when you are using cold air to cool the cabin when just the unconditioned air would suffice.

BUT!

It's not very often and it won't actually save THAT much.

Theres been a few days recently where I've had a lot of condensation in the car when I 1st start it up in the morning when its been icy.

Never had it this bad before. When I had light condensation in the car last winter it cleared very quickly just by pressing the windscreen button. Is there any other button or way to get it to clear quicker? I thought the climate control would get rid of any moisture or is that only when its blowing out cold air e.g. air con?

******* me off as have to leave the car running for at least 5 mins before I go to work at the moment!

Mine does this almost every time its really cold outside, its the speed of the blowers to the windscreen which is really weak

Mine does this almost every time its really cold outside, its the speed of the blowers to the windscreen which is really weak

This has been argued before, and it's not just a simple switch system Dave. Audi's use a blend of hot and cold air to produce the desired temperature. So there are times when you are using cold air to cool the cabin when just the unconditioned air would suffice.

BUT!

It's not very often and it won't actually save THAT much.

No I understand it's a bit more involved, but to me it's worth it to leave it running all the time just to stop the car steaming up inside. I don't think I've even needed to use the heated rear window in the 22 months I've had the car.

If you press the windscreen demist button on the air-con unit it directs all the output to the screen and puts the fans up to maxium speed. When my car has been left out in the cold I find this clears the screen very quickly.