DSG Clutch Upgrade

N8

Kowalski Details
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Guys have a read of this, and tell me what you think.

HPA DSG UPGRADE via Direct Port Option (on location)

Positioned in the “Pre launch” stage of the DSG upgrade program, it has been our goal to showcase the market how critical this modification is to the DSG Fun Factor! Once flashed, the stage 2 in particular truly offers a new sense of ownership behind the wheel.

Short Recap on DSG program
Our upgrade is applicable to any DSG equipped VW/Audi 2WD or AWD
Stage 1 – 4750RPM launch control with disabled kick down in manual mode
NOTE: ANY Car which does not have factory launch control will now have it engaged!
Putting the driver back in control, the DSG will react as a true manual gearbox allowing better control and feel in mid corner entry and exit. With the higher launch control, the reaction off the line will radically improve as the 3.2 will launch within its TQ band.
Stage 2 – Stage 1 + shortened shift response, 7150RPM redline
With all the advantages of Stage 1, the stage 2 expands the control of the driver by shortening the reaction time of each shift upwards of 60%. With the redline bumped, no longer will the gearbox shifts begin its shift at 6500RPM. Breathing into the red, the motor’s power band will be fully unleashed.
Stage 3R – Stage 2 + higher TQ limit ,clutch engagement optimization, “D” mode reprogrammed for a sportier street feel
A MUST if you have 400hp +Intended for modified FI applications, we have revamped the clutch engagement curve to allow better grip with the OEM clutches or our aftermarket upgraded versions. The TQ limits that the DSG will accept have been increased. The D mode remaps the shift point for round town driving. No longer will the DSG shift through all 6 gears under 35MPH. With heavy power modes, the resulting kick downs are very abusive on the gearbox and erode the initial impact of the power band when looking to overtake.

Overshadowed by the usual HPA Twin Turbo which we have been mating to these upgraded DSG gearbox’s since 2005, we have dreamed up the idea to send a technician on the road for a multi state/city drop in where we can offer direct port reprogramming.
The road ahead in making this a regionally accessible upgrade through a dealer network is long, and will require further investments by both HPA and our future dealers. The concept of jumping on a plane and flying into a region seems like a perfect stop gap, but is constrained by the costs associated with off location staff and travel expenditures. Unlike an engine flash, each DSG flash is unique to the car. It is a two step process, where each car’s ECU is read out, the files are sent back to our office where the file is edited and then sent back to be re-flashed onto the vehicle.
The DSG upgrades are transparent to the dealership, and are effective the moment the flash is complete. Our technicians have the ability to bring VAD/Haldex product on location saving on freight and HPA will offer an additional savings on such purchases if booked at the same time as the flash.

UPDATE18.12.08
snow_cool.gif
2-64-38849-l-miLiM9RbflKgiExmFe7Gpw.gif
grinsanta.gif

It has been a week full of unexpected activities here at HPA. Vancouver received its first dump of snow which has prevented some of our WA state guests from making the trek to our facility for their flash’s and wreaked havoc on our push to complete various daily tasks with our general operations. Not to mention someone blew a red light and clipped my prized Dodge 3500 
Since we fist launched the idea of heading out on the road, we have strong commitment indications from the following cities
Houston TX............7
NYC.......... ...........6
Los Angles CA.......5
Chicago IL ...........4
To our surprise, Florida interest has not materialized and this location is on the verge of being removed from the schedule.
Tampa FL..........1
With all the encouraging personal IM’s I have received, I have opted to tackle this aggressive road trip personally. I see it as a real opportunity to meet the enthusiasts in their own back yards and offer a more in-depth discussion while on location.
Here is the travel schedule that is laid out.

Los Angeles, CA..........Jan 8th -9th
Houston, TX...............Jan 9th – 10th
Tampa, FL ................Jan 10th – 11th
Newark, NJ.................Jan 11th -12th
Chicago, IL ................Jan 12th – 13th
The travel plan will have me arriving in the evenings, and departing mid afternoon for the next location. This will support both am and pm flash appointments. We have done this in answer to those that could not overnight, or who could not miss a work shift. *** if Florida is lost, then my stay in Houston and/or NJ will be extended.***
PROCESS Review:
Each vehicle’s file is unique and requires the OE file to be read out, saved to our server via wireless network where it be tuned by a staff and resent for upload. This process takes approximately 30 mins on the read out, 30 mins back at HPA and 30 mins to reload. For this reason, we are limited to how many cars we can schedule for the PM and AM appointments. These will be booked at a first purchase, first choice basis.
To take part in this event, all bookings must be submitted by close of business Dec 31st..
As stated from the outset, we require a minimum of 10 bookings per selected region, If less than 10 cars per location book, we will contact all booked customers from the region in question and work with the assembled group to determine a fair travel surcharge that would make the trip possible. In the event this situation arises and a proposed travel surcharge is rejected, the flash fee will be refunded 100% on the first day of business. (Jan 5th)
We will set up special Paypal buttons so that the bookings can be submitted online through the Christmas break, or you can call our offices tomorrow, Dec 19th to book your time slot, to ensure your position.
We will update this thread with links once this is completed tomorrow.
Flashes will be prepaid (Stage 1 $699, Stage 2 $899, Stage 3 $1995)
We have sifted through all the running threads and gathered the following group of unanswered questions. We provide the following clarifications in efforts to secure a greater understanding of the benefits and results to be expected from this exciting upgrade.
I am truly excited to come on location and look forward to meeting with all of you where possible.
Sincerely Marcel

VORTEX QUESTIONS PENDING:
A3 & S3 (8P) > HPA DSG UPGRADE via Direct Port Option (on location)
Quote »kgw: • Will the DSG behave the same as factory when it's in D?

With stage 1 and 2, the performance modifications only affect the manual mode. With Stage 3, every part and mode of the DSG is augmented and optimized.
TT (Mk1, a4 chassis) > HPA DSG UPGRADE via Direct Port Option (on location)
Quote »MCPaudiTT: • Does stage 3 include mechanical changes as well, or is it software only? Just curious.
• What peak HP and TQ figures do you "stand behind" it handling without issues?

Stage 3 is still only software, but a very in-depth upgrade. Imagine Windows 98 vs Vista.
Stage 3 will support 400-650 crank hp and the same in TQ.
NOTE: the OEM clutch pack is only stable up to 425 crank HP and will need upgrading if this limit is exceeded.
Golf V R32 > HPA DSG UPGRADE via Direct Port Option (on location)
Quote »NickS:
• will this once and for all remove the dreaded "hesitation" or the feeling like there is a stall converter when taking off from a stop?
(Background to NickS’ question:)
LAUNCH CONTROL IS OVERRATED
I see zero use for it when simply mashing on the gas pedal results in a much quicker launch in every situation I have been in. ESP on or off... it doesn't matter.
ESP off, in sport mode, Sitting there with the brake on, mashing the accelerator, bouncing off the revs and then release the brake *WAIT* and then the car goes in it's own sweet time. It doesn't "LAUNCH" off the line like it would if you had the ability to side step a clutch.... no, it litterally waits a second and THEN goes and even then it does it with a slip of the clutch which IMO is way too conservative.
I hate the hesitation with DSG when taking off from a stop... I HATE IT!
Launch control should be an abrupt launch where the car LEAPS off the line and it simply doesn't do that. I sure hope the HPA DSG software upgrade fixes this.
And yes I know why VW has it set this way... I just think it's worthless to make such a half assed attempt like that.

Stage 3 without a doubt cures any hesitation experiences as we have remapped the entire pressure field which engages and disengages the clutches.
Stage 1 and 2 are focused on the manual mode, as this in itself becomes the switchable mode for the driver. The characteristics of the OEM tune remain in “D” with these two stages, but when ‘M” is selected, the driver really takes control. Stage 2 will address the stutter off the line as the response time of the ECM to the ABS/paddles is optimized, but the amount of pressure applied to the clutches is not affected, so unlike stage 3, there may still be some hint there. As I have only been driving stage 3 gearbox’s the last few years, it is difficult for me to say that stage 2 will 100% cure this concern as I know stage 3 will.
Quote »undisclothesed: (related question to NickS)
• does this upgrade improve the response time of the launch control? (ie does the car still have that moment of nothingness when letting your foot off the brake on a launch?)
As defined above, stage 2 will optimize this, but by not remapping the pressure curves for the clutches, there will be still some chance of slow drag. Stage 2 does eliminate the majority of the engagement delay, and the subsequent shift responses are unimaginably quick!
Quote »Turn8:
• With regards to the disabled kick-down feature, will the car still downshift automatically when coming to a stop? Will the car still upshift automatically when it reaches maximum RPM's or will it bounce of the rev-limiter?
• How can we lose the upgrade? For example, can the dealer re-flash over the re-flash of the DSG upgrade?
In manual mode, you will bounce off your rev limiter until you shift, select S or D and you can regain the upshift.
In manual mode, the car will down shift at a stop as the factor tune does.
Our flash can only be lost through a dealer reflash. Your OE file will be archived on our servers, and we would be able to reflash you module without having to re read your ECM. Short of this, there is no other way the flash could be lost.
Quote »texasboy:
• Disabling the kickdown would be a terrific benefit when I'm at the track, but it has come in extremely handy at times on the street.
I want to have my cake and eat it, too; HPA, can you make this feature switchable ?
AT THIS TIME WE HAVE NO PLANS FOR SUCH A DEVICE.

Quote »stuttgart23:
• there is one aspect of the stage 1 flash that I believe you can disable via the vagcom, which is the kick down disable. I think there is also a safety feature the dsg has built in which if it feels more than 250ft lb of torque it will dial itself back in order to protect itself. That feature is all software related and I'm curious whether or not HPA addresses that in the flash.
•
Yes, we bump the TQ limits so that the DSG does not command the ECM to pull back timing etc. the power bump and performance bump is immediately noticed by the driver.

Golf V / Jetta V > HPA DSG UPGRADE via Direct Port Option (on location)
Quote »dubsker:
• are you guys going to release a little switcher tool in the future?
AT THIS TIME WE HAVE NO PLANS FOR SUCH A DEVICE.

Modified by HPA motorsports 1 at 1:24 AM 12-19-2008

Quote, originally posted by bcze1 »In Denver...guess I'll be patiently waiting for that dealer network to be set up.
mad.gif
Oh well I'm sure the wife won't mind be not dropping that $900.
banghead.gif

Ok, or....you could always choose this DO-it-Yourself path
grinsanta.gif

For those of you in know to be remote regions, I will share the following images captured of an enthusiast that up and jumped on the physical excerise of getting this mod applied to his DSG GTI. Our engineers were preparing a downloadable schematic to allow users to build a small wooded box, but the solution as it came in and went back out more than meets the needs for this hardware.
Note, a carton box, some packaging materials and a $13 dollar file folder box from Staples moved this ECM clear across the country with no fan fair.
dsgpkg1.jpg

dsgpkg2.jpg

dsgpkg3.jpg

Our Master tech will prepare a DO-it-Yourself guide to pulling the DSG ECM. With the radiator in the service position, you are able to pull the ECM out without discharging the A/C. it takes about 3.5 hours to pull it out and about 4 hours to reinstall. A scan tool will be required to refill the oil and this is the perfect time to perform the DSG oil service. 6.8L of DSG oil would be required to perform a full service, but if you opt to only replace what is spilled out, then less will be required. NOTE://
Our techs have performed this re&re with two techs in 4 hours. Here they had a lift, pulled both the coolant and A/C to ensure a smooth transition.

Thanks N8 :hi: