Pics of strut braces??

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
As some may know I'm putting my A4 round Bedford Autodrome in Feb. I'v been thinking about adding an upper strut brace for the front of the car. Anybody have any pics of one fitted and can anybody tell me if they make much difference on these cars?

S4 has one as standard.

You can fit one, using some brackets from an A6 and a piece of steel bar. If you have a search on here i'm sure someone posted pics of the bits and part numbers etc.

the S4 one wont quite work on yours

The S4 has the brackets welded onto the strut towers, then the bar itself which is basically a piece of 6mm steel bar with two holes drilled in it at each end.

A6 brackets are bolt on however, and will bolt onto an A4 just fine. The bar itself you're probably cheaper just buying some steel from a metal merchant and drill the appropriate holes

if you loosen/remove the all top strut bracket bolts will you not compromise geometry?

looks like a cheap mod, would be interested to see if any seat of the pants difference is noticeable

jcb: the top strut plate isnt moveable. The plate has three dowels that sit tightly against the holes in the bodywork, so it cant move when unbolted.

The pics on the audiworld tech article above show the dowels poking thru the holes.

I have the A6/A4 setup. works well and you can tell the difference.

I went for that as the aftermarket ones tend to be mounted too tall and sometimes foul the bonnet, and also i wouldnt have been able to use my facelift scuttle panel trim

if you loosen/remove the all top strut bracket bolts will you not compromise geometry?

looks like a cheap mod, would be interested to see if any seat of the pants difference is noticeable

is yours a 1.8 tqs? if so you should have one already fitted, i bought all the bits for my old 1.8t, sold car before i got around to fitting then went to fit to my 1.8tqs only to find one already welded in, my v6 tdi already had one aswell, so check before you go to the dealer its not something that stands out so you wouldnt even notice its there.

I had Kevs, fitted straight on. Like he said it resides alongside the battery and bolts to the brackets bolted to the strut tops

Sorted. A quick phone call to my local Audi dealer and;

L/H bkt 4B0 803 357A - £15.10 +VAT
R/H bkt 4B0 803 358A - £15.10 +VAT
Bar 8D0 805 645A - £20.10 +VAT

Sub £60 for a brace that fits and works. Roll on pay day

That is a nice price. Wont be too hard to drill a couple of new holes in the bar and find some nuts and bolts.

I may get one of those for my car.

is yours a 1.8 tqs? if so you should have one already fitted, i bought all the bits for my old 1.8t, sold car before i got around to fitting then went to fit to my 1.8tqs only to find one already welded in, my v6 tdi already had one aswell, so check before you go to the dealer its not something that stands out so you wouldnt even notice its there.

yes it is. bonus, never looked!

Well the wife didn't shoot me when I mentioned it so Friday morning I shall duck in to Audi and order the bits. My brother does fabrication work (he converts cars for disabled people) so he should be able to dill a couple of holes with his eyes shut

Just been out in the dark to check mine,..................well I'll be blowed. Never noticed that before :)

^^^ I wouldn't bother.

Besides, anyone selling a product like that, should also have pictures with the damn thing fitted to the car.

Else, as far as I'm concerned, they're not serious enough.

R-Tec had one as shop soiled for £60 (which I later found new for £40). I eyed it up but when trying to trial fit it it became blatantly obvious it was not going fit without fouling the brake fluid reservoir.

Depending on cash (as I need to sort a couple of bits out at home) I'll order the bits from Audi and do a step by step guide if it's of interest to people?

I'll order the bits from Audi and do a step by step guide if it's of interest to people?

i was going to do the same, infact, ive just emailed siena to ordering the parts.

im not getting the bar though, will pop to my local metal place and buy something suitable, and make it myself; seems silly to pay for it when the holes are in the wrong place anyway!

last time i did that (over the phone) the boy said "these arent returnable if you've ordered the wrong bits" and even noted that on the invoice!

I tend to find that my 2 local audi dealers are complete a-holes when it comes to parts so i get my stuff through the much friendlier VW dealer, even get discount too

Well I've just got home after a trip to the main dealer and the chap was really interested what I was up to ordering A6 bits and S4 bits. Chatted for quite a while. Got a load of snow here still and in the grand scheme of things I can't be bothered to get cold. Will hopefully do it Saturday and will post pics of the job on a setp by step basis.

steve, fancy doing this on sun with me sticking my nose in and seeing if the bits fit mine?

Can do mate, TBH I have a few jobs to get through Sat so leaving that until Sunday might be better anyway. Need to grab those wheels off you as well at some point. Almost ready for Bedford. You still want to borrow my camera mount and camera?

argh, i forgot to mention I can't make it, car wont be ready, Paul is away that weekend and I have to work. :(
Sunday is good thou mate, can chuck the wheels in the car and meet at your mums if thats where you doing the brace?

In short. . . . No :(

The n/s bracket bolts straight on with no bother. The same can't be said for the o/s bracket. It fouls on the aircon solid pipes. I have marked the bracket and will modify it with Mr Grinder next weekend. Once I have got the job straight and all the pics I'll sort pics for the guide.