New problem with 2.0 tdi

APL TDi

Reaction score
Hi all

I just got my 2004 2.0tdi 140 back from the garage on monday. They fitted a new turbo as the old one was knackered.

Now under full throttle in any gear it hesitates. If it were a petrol I would say its missfiring.

This only hapens between 2000 - 4000 rpm and feels like the boost is going off and on.

I am hoping the mechanic has just not put something back right, any advice would be much apriciated.

Amyone had anyting like this? :readit:

A!

Out of interest...How much did a new turbo cost mate?

My car has an owl like noise and someone told me my turbo is on its way out :(

Check any pipes around the turbo area see if anythings loose, maybe a split somewhere is causing issues on high boost, just ideas

the new turbo was 600 fitted, but the turbo was a re-con. I did not pay as it was under warrenty.

My A3 has done 70,000 miles which is around the time when the turbos tend to go.

I am pretty sure there must be a pipe or something that is loose as there is something knocking about in the engine bay when I go over any bumps.

I am just going to have to drive it slowley till the weekend when I can get it back to the garage.

This car is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare!

A!

Out of interest...How much did a new turbo cost mate?

My car has an owl like noise and someone told me my turbo is on its way out :(

Do you mean that siren noise ? i thought that were normal? Mines done it since I've had it and its been fine!

They all make it a bit, but having mine done, the new turbo is ALOT quieter. You can still here a whistke, but its now faint.

A!

Do you mean that siren noise ? i thought that were normal? Mines done it since I've had it and its been fine!

Yeah, that's the one! I've also had that noise since I bought the car, just something someone told me one day and it got me worried :unsure:. I guess I'll just relax a bit now lol.

What about the fan kicking in when you've parked up for a little while after driving? Is that normal too?:whistle2: It goes "Woooooooooooooo" lol sounds like a ghost

Yeah, that's the one! I've also had that noise since I bought the car, just something someone told me one day and it got me worried :unsure:. I guess I'll just relax a bit now lol.

What about the fan kicking in when you've parked up for a little while after driving? Is that normal too?:whistle2: It goes "Woooooooooooooo" lol sounds like a ghost

Im pretty sure that noise doesnt mean anything - check for air leaks in the pipes but you should be ok. If its louder than normal, there could be an air leak.....

The fans comes in to cool the car down. There's two - there's one for the engine and the other is the AC one. If you turn the car off with the AC on, this stays on for a bit and then cuts off.

Yeah, they're both normal. I done a post on that - its in the A3 section somewhere posted in July! I thought the same when i bought my car lol

They all make it a bit, but having mine done, the new turbo is ALOT quieter. You can still here a whistke, but its now faint.

A!

They're may have been an air leak before - thats why the whistlings loud.
Mines just like a faint siren in the background. You can only hear it with the music off...

They're may have been an air leak before - thats why the whistlings loud.
Mines just like a faint siren in the background. You can only hear it with the music off...

Yeah thats what mine is like now.

There was an air leak before, and now there appears to be an even bigger one! lol

Its all good fun

A!

APL TDI
Are you going to get it remap now with new turbo?
You drive it with a heavy right foot?

70,000 sounds early ?

I am booked in to get it remapped at the end of Feb, but I am now not sure weather I should just leave it?

I do drive with a lead foot sometimes, but not all the time.

Who have you got the remap book in with?

I had mine done with bluefin (superchips)

I am taking the car back on friday so the dealer can sort it out. But this morning the problem had gone?!?!?! WTF!

This si going to drive me crazy.....

What do you think I should do? The dealer is the kind of bloke who will say if the problem is not evident, then there is not a prolem (if you know what I mean).

:sos: