Warning light??

turborat

Reaction score
Hi

My parents 1997 1.8SE A4 has just come up with an orange warning light that looks like a car with a key in it. Can anyone let me know what could cause this to come on?

By the way this is my first post so a big HI to evryone on here!!!!

Ta.

Welcome to the forums!

Immobiliser? Does it start?

Sometimes, (i did this with my dads old A4 many years ago when i was young) if your messing around with the key, the small glass immobiliser transponder can fall out of the housing, and vanish off under the couch or whatever.

Then when you try to start the car, it wont let you!

Hi aragorn,

Thanx for getting back to me.

The funny this is that my mum is driving it and this light is flashing?? Any other ideas??

Ta

hmm thats very strange then!

If its flashing it means the immobiliser has detected a fault, the fact its let you start it is weird.

I'd imagine you'd have to get it hooked up to a Vagcom system to check out whats going on...

Where abouts are you located? Might be someone near you on the forum that could scan it for you.

I have a friend with a copy of vagcom (not full version) and should be able to scan fault codes. Where is the connecter in the car & what type of lead is required?

Just the standard 16pin VAG lead, they're on ebay for about a tenner if you dont already have one

The connector is in the rear ashtray.

You'll likely want to scan either channel 25 or 17 depending on whether your car has immo1 or immo2, and it'd be worth scanning the engine module while your there.