Some of the engine work i've been doing: (1.9TDi)

evomaster3000

Reaction score
Well apart from tinkering with the install, since i'm now studying a motorsport degree, i now have more knowledge of engines and turbo's etc, so I've been intending to do a head re-build on the audi, so i set about it late last year.

Started by stripping the turbo and manifolds off for a de-coke and clean out the vanes on the turbo.

Then went on an removed the head and stripped it, replaced valve stem seals, cleaned all the carbon from the valves and re-lapped the valves, De-coked all the oil n **** from the ports! and there was a fair bit, loads on the inlet!

Once all cleaned out set about giving it a clean and some colour!

Head with valves re-fitted n re-lapped ready to be built back up:
14022009126.jpg

Complete head with turbo n cat, intake and EGR fitted:
14022009128.jpg

14022009130.jpg

14022009131.jpg

Now back to the car to clean the block for new head gasket:
14022009132.jpg

14022009133.jpg

As you can see doing the head is a pig of a job on the A6 as the whole front end needs to be removed!
14022009134.jpg

New water pump fitted:
15022009138.jpg

May aswell get done as it cost £23 for a genuine new one and if it goes i'm not doin this job again so for £23 no point messing, get a new one even though the old one is fine.

Head re-fitted and everything all piped back up. New Hydraulic lifters (some may have noticed my car sounding a little tappy - this should fix it!) Camshaft fitted and head all torqued up with new bolts.
15022009139.jpg

15022009137.jpg

Thats how she sits at the moment, just need a mechanic to come and time her up properly and then fire her up!

evo lovely looking job so far good luck to you

Nice piece of work but why on the same ocassion you didn't swap turbo for GT17 from AWX/AVF? Makes quite significant difference along with good chiptuning.... Driveability is a lot better.

Nice piece of work but why on the same ocassion you didn't swap turbo for GT17 from AWX/AVF? Makes quite significant difference along with good chiptuning.... Driveability is a lot better.

Looking in to something like that now, what engine is that tho not too hot on engine codes? I've been told to go for the bigger PD ones 130/140/150bhp model with bigger injectors.

AWX and AVF are 130PD from A4 ,A6 and passat. Fits p&p with no problems.Obviously you have to do a proper remap after that to use potential of the new turbo. With stock injectors you can get ~145BHP smokeless if you add injectors 0.216um ~160BHP. Effect depends on how your car will react for mod but with FMIC and cleaned intake this shouldn't be a problem. Just get yourself either brand new turbo or with v. low mileage.
Can help you with remap afterwards though...

Thanks, will look in to it when/if i get spare funds, the turbo is the VNT 17 i believe, Garrett GT1749?? I know this is the 150 one.

Will keep an eye out tho not got alot of spare cash atm and few other things need sorting first.

But thanks for the offer, i'll look u up if i get around to it.

BTW know any good suppliers for the 0.216 injectors and turbo? i've been told the 140/150bhp 2.5 5 cyl injectors are the same? or not?

Only 130BHP turbo will fit plug'n'play so don't waste money on 150 version. you can also try to find turbo with exhaust manifold from 2.0TDI 170BHP also goes p&p.

Injectors i can get you for around £350 ready to fit (checked and balanced) or if you return your old ones you'll get £100 back. Can also get 0.230...

Injectors from 2.5TDI R5 are not .216 they are .210.

Just two observations:
The head still looks filthy, if its off then maybe it would have been a good idea to give it a proper clean. Most engineering firms have an acid bath and a hot water degreasing machine (like a engine parts dishwasher) to get it looking great.

Why didn't you just lock the injection pump and crank in position before disassembly, then you could have put it back together without the need to re-time.

R4 engines are v. easy to time-up. Get yourself tools from ebay for £15 (bolt for pump and lock for cam) and then line up DMF for marker and job done. Final alignment of pump for correct begining of injection after tensioning belt.

Easy as pie....