A4 2.0T FSI Steam Cleaned... but

A4NA18

Reaction score
Hi fellow Audi fanatics,

I was supposed to get my "new" (S.H.) Audi A4 2.0T FSI Avant SE Multitronic yesterday, delivered from a dealer.

BUT!

Apparently the car "broke down" because they have steam cleaned the engine bay and an error popped up on the dash during the delivery. The guy claimed that it must be one of the sensor not liking the steam... But to be honest I'm starting the get cold feet over the whole thing.

After a rightly deserved argument over the phone, they suggested to come up with extended warranty for free (6 months), VAG-com check up at Audi to make sure it is fine, if I was to take it.

What do you guys think? A Steam cleaning... what could be broken?

Why on earth did they need to steam clean a brand new engine in the first place? The warrantee sounds like a good deal to me, at the end of the day if you have any problems with the car (even a light bulb) you just take it straight back to be fixed and demand a courtesy car. If problems continue you ask for your money back. Dealer’s want you to be happy so you’ll come back and spend more money with them so they are usually pretty good at sorting problems with cars bought from them (Not always but usually). So I’d say give them a chance and if they don’t sort it quickly and to your satisfaction, let em have it! J

****** disappointing though when all you want to do is drive your sparkling new car.
:3sadwalk:

"steam cleaning" or any other kind of water jet sprayed around the engine bay could easily get into some of the electrics and cause a fault.

A 6 month warranty should be enough to ensure there are no long term effects of this though. I would be querying the dealer on what EXACTLY the fault was just so you know to keep an eye on it.

Just got the verdict: Two coil packs packed up so he'll replace them and replace all the spark plugs.

Is it bad? Does it make sense or he is trying to fool me?

its possible, although unlikely, that water would be able to kill a coil pack.

Maybe a little more likely that the water would cause the wiring to short out a bit and stop the coilpack firing?

As long as its fixed correctly and you're getting the extra warranty i wouldnt worry about it.