Judder on max boost

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
guys...as per yesterdays post the gremlins have returned!! grrr

when i boot it, it judders.....when i smoothly accelerate it goes nicely with no problems, im thinking coils but these were new in April last year from Audi.... gonna whip the sparks out today to check.

Does anyone else have any ideas.... was gonna replace the thermostat today as had issues with that (put off to next week for lack of tools), may just attempt it just so i can check the hoses below the inlet manifold (have to go stealing tools from the pa)

i put it on vagcom this morning and got the following which looks like jibberish to me.... i cant use the 411 version due to vista so unsure if this is the issue here as it used to make much more sense

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N
Control Module Part Number: 8N0 906 018 BH
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Software Coding: 10710
Work Shop Code: WSC 14132
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8L121014466 AUZ7Z0A2015117
4 Faults Found:
18010 - H(²>z¢]!.3PE[y[„zKQb6k…­\E{hñsO.]CHP~8`BH
P1602 - 35-10 - f - Intermittent
16706 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0322 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N
Control Module Part Number: 8N0 907 379 E
Component and/or Version: ESP 20 CAN V005
Software Coding: 18448
Work Shop Code: WSC 01236
1 Fault Found:
00812 - 'nyWÆjh~GSc3¡"Ly‡D`*–Îl|&C|¨Söµ|zko
35-10 - f - Intermittent

quick search revealed a possible ignition control module..... possibly...any thoughts still welcomed as dont wana go repalcing a £90 part with no effect

Try the classic MAF sensor, disconnect it and see if it still stutters on full throttle, it will be running less power while it's disconnected also.

cheers jojo.... its just started raining so a nice easy check to do mate.....thanks

this is annoying the crap out of me, within a year ive replaced the battery, Dv, 4xcoils, sparks, several pipes, water header tank, MAF, and various other bits over and above normal service items and its STILL costing..... welcome to S3 ownership:salute:

luckily just got a call from Warley, hes on his way up with with a silicone TIP ive bought, hopefully his liquid gauge will pick up any faults that my shareware hasnt - just when today was starting to get depressing:laugh:

i feel for you matey. i aint had any problems with mine yet, touch wood! but it is completely standard.
when i read threads like this it does worry me and put me off ever so slightly getting it re-mapped - for reliability issues more than anything!
anyway good luck tim

BTW, you can use vagcom on vista. You need to 'run as administrator'

BTW, you can use vagcom on vista. You need to 'run as administrator'

you can also run in a compatibility mode. ie run as if you are in XP or ME or whatever. right click on the program exe file then properties then compatibility

Had the same issue a week ago.Gradual acceleration the car was fine,if i really give it some stick the car would judder as you described.Replaced coil pack and it went away.

cheers guys and thanks 'Black' - you'll know why in a second!!

Warley has just left after kindly removing his liquid gauge and running faults on my car, it brought up faults 16706 which is speed 'no signal input' something to do with ignition, then codes 16684 cyl misfire, 16687 3rd cyl misfire and finally 16486 MAF low input

obviously the maf was unplugged before the check so that is that, the rest pointed towards coil number 3 which is the latest version....all changed in April 08 with the 'R' versions..... luckily i had kept the three working coils as spares....problem sorted!! just going to take it on a 15 minute run now (as only ran it 2 miles after changing) to make sure.... then get another new version ordered 2moz from Audi

pain in **** is that i cant go on warrantee as the coil at fault had a piece broken off it where the plug seals it, literally where the rubber seal sits which leads me to think water has got into the top where it plugs into the lead....there is a slight brown look to the rubber inard of the coil and it smells a lil bit but this would be normal and obviously water wouldnt have got in here....

As Pete was checking for faults and removing the liquid gauge, i just HAD to fit the new TIP....have to say that the one i removed was not ever likely to collapse, really cant see why it would and the OEM one felt stronger than the 4ply silicone one ive just fitted...hey ho...at least now i have a nice bit of blue under my bonnet:thumbsup:

I had a similar problem the other weekend when I flashed a low mileage TT with Custom-Code phase 1.

Went out on the test drive, having serviced the car the week before with no problems, a coil pack quit the first time the car was opened up.

Had the laptop plugged in so knew straight away what it was. I had taken a pair of new ones with me expecting this to happen. Fitted a new one and eventually had to replace all 4 packs. Each time a new one was fitted, another failed.

The car goes like a train now with 4 news ones.

A point of note, that the last 3 didn't actually throw up a fault code, the car just started missing when the boost came in and it was ok under light throttle.

Gavin

cheers Gavin.....i wana slap myself now for not thinking to check these....i assumed they would all be ok given they are only 11 months old and the latest release:sorry:

tim how easy was the tip to fit. what make did you use. forge? do you feel any different after it?

cheers Gavin.....i wana slap myself now for not thinking to check these....i assumed they would all be ok given they are only 11 months old and the latest release:sorry:

We were running all over Brisbane on a Saturday afternoon, ended up with 4 good ones out of 10 dodgy secondhand ones.

A really painful exercise, at least the customer wasn't waiting for the car.

Note to self, get a set of coil packs in stock on Friday. :D

Gavin

Gav..... know exactly the feeling, just glad i kept my old 3 spare....always keep one in the boot now together with an allen key and 10mm spanner

Rav im gonna start another post on the subject mate

How "slight" can this be?
I mean the splutter?
Ive had a coil pack fail and it was far from slight, Does the faint splutter start before they fail all together?

depends Paul, my first one went completely straigght away, my 2nd 2 days later started to splutter anything above 2krpm and this latest one which was a new version only spluttered on full boost above 4k rpm